Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Living in Costa Rica where the temp is 70 degrees...

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Living in Costa Rica where the temp is 70 degrees...
    Former Detroiter is a wise person. Heed his words, ye of few years.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Seriously? Look on Google earth. In some neighborhoods every 2nd or 3rd home has an in ground pool. All outdoor living items from pools to bicycles
    to kayaks have sold like crazy this year due to the pandemic.
    Not all Dyes’ers live in the D. Lots of us are ‘alums’

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Not all Dyes’ers live in the D. Lots of us are ‘alums’
    I live in Toronto. Never have lived in the D. However you were referring to the prevalence of pools in the Great Lakes.

referring to the prevalence of pools in the Great Lakes.
    They're already full of water, so I don't think they need pools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Former Detroiter is a wise person. Heed his words, ye of few years.
    Heed her words Thank you very much...

1977 had a hot summer. Vic Caputo actually cracked an egg on a sidewalk downtown and it started frying. That how hot it was

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Heed her words Thank you very much...
    Oooops. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Oooops. Thank you.
    You're Welcome..

Name:  ur,mask_flatlay_front,wide_portrait,750x1000.jpg.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  184.8 KB
    This does the trick. I have one of those cool octopus sprinklers on the way, as well.

Damn but if feels nice this morning!

It's times like these that I look back in wonder on pre-A/C days in our tiny Detroit bungalow. Four boys sleeping [[or trying to) up in the attic bedroom, sweltering like a bitch. My dad, always mindful of his pennies, allowed the window fan to run exactly one hour---enough time, he figured, for us boys to nod off. I can remember the timer making this metallic "ping" as the fan shut off and the fan blades fluttered to a stop. Took about two minutes for the entire room to fill back up with heat and humidity. When my mind strays back to childhood summers in the 50s and 60s, I just think of those molten August nights. So. Fucking. Hot.

We have been kind of fortunate... the temperature hasn't been quite as hot or as humid this past week... but then there's next week.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    It's times like these that I look back in wonder on pre-A/C days in our tiny Detroit bungalow. Four boys sleeping [[or trying to) up in the attic bedroom, sweltering like a bitch. My dad, always mindful of his pennies, allowed the window fan to run exactly one hour---enough time, he figured, for us boys to nod off. I can remember the timer making this metallic "ping" as the fan shut off and the fan blades fluttered to a stop. Took about two minutes for the entire room to fill back up with heat and humidity. When my mind strays back to childhood summers in the 50s and 60s, I just think of those molten August nights. So. Fucking. Hot.
    Not sure the situation in Mich., but here in Ontario where a hugely disproportionate number of Covid deaths have been in nursing homes, a lot of those homes do not have a/c. Bad enough they're lacking proper care and visitors, now they're dealing with a heat wave. The gov't has talked about mandating it for years but it hasn't happened. Can't imagine being on your back all day dealing with that. As many have said, "if I have to go in one of those places I'd rather be dead."
    Last edited by 401don; July-13-20 at 09:21 AM.

As many have said, "if I have to go in one of those places I'd rather be dead."
    The only reason most people go to those places is to die. Patients rarely if ever leave them and return to a healthy life. Many that leave go home to Hospice care. They are waiting rooms. They are not the same as places people go during recovery from a serious injury.

That's been one of my brig gripes with 'the numbers'. A significant number of 'the victims' in nursing and convalescent homes would have died during this time period regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The only reason most people go to those places is to die. Patients rarely if ever leave them and return to a healthy life. Many that leave go home to Hospice care. They are waiting rooms. They are not the same as places people go during recovery from a serious injury.

That's been one of my brig gripes with 'the numbers'. A significant number of 'the victims' in nursing and convalescent homes would have died during this time period regardless.
    I don't think any aged people, unless they suffered some type of injury, expect to leave alive. Ideally though there are those who are not in a lot of pain, are somewhat mobile, are able to socialize with others in the facility, have regular visits with family and therefore still maintain a decent quality of life for their remaining time. That's not happening nearly so much during this pandemic/heat wave.
    Again, speaking for Ontario, as far as the numbers go, it's been explained like this: Anyone who has Covid when they die are included in the numbers even if it wasn't the primary cause of death. This allows them to go back and analyze how their pre-existing condition - heart disease, asthma, etc. affected their death so they can better treat those people during future pandemics. They don't separate dying of Covid vs. dying with Covid in the numbers, although ideally they should.
    Last edited by 401don; July-13-20 at 10:09 AM.

I don't think any aged people, unless they suffered some type of injury, expect to leave alive. Ideally though there are those who are not in a lot of pain, are somewhat mobile, are able to socialize with others in the facility, have regular visits with family and therefore still maintain a decent quality of life for their remaining time. That's not happening nearly so much during this pandemic/heat wave.
    Again, speaking for Ontario, as far as the numbers go, it's been explained like this: Anyone who has Covid when they die are included in the numbers even if it wasn't the primary cause of death. This allows them to go back and analyze how their pre-existing condition - heart disease, asthma, etc. affected their death so they can better treat those people during future pandemics. They don't separate dying of Covid vs. dying with Covid in the numbers, although ideally they should.
    ^^ Great point, I've noticed that too in the death reports.

^^ And that's why the numbers are false and exaggerated.

Not cooling off at Belle Isle. Has anyone been there lately? Looks like a landfill. Trash everywhere. Where the fu¢k is the DNR? Why aren't they cleaning the park and emptying the trash cans [[and supplying more)? And why the fu¢k aren't they charging admission? Why did I buy a passport when I can just drive on the island without paying?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Not cooling off at Belle Isle. Has anyone been there lately? Looks like a landfill. Trash everywhere. Where the fu¢k is the DNR? Why aren't they cleaning the park and emptying the trash cans [[and supplying more)? And why the fu¢k aren't they charging admission? Why did I buy a passport when I can just drive on the island without paying?

I agree, it looks horrid. The river flooding Belle Isle, wiping out the islands in the canoe ponds, trees and roads, isn't adding any elegance. There have been group emails floating around on Next Door, and some other sites, about a Belle Isle citizens clean-up event [[something to that effect) coming up, due to lack of State funding for the island.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-13-20 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I agree, it looks horrid. The river flooding Belle Isle, wiping out the islands in the canoe ponds, trees and roads, isn't adding any elegance. There have been group emails floating around on Next Door, and some other sites, about a Belle Isle citizens clean-up event [[something to that effect) coming up, due to lack of State funding for the island.
    Our family does a lot of camping at many different state parks. I've gotten the opportunity to speak to many different park managers, and I questioned why the increased revenues from the passport weren't translating to any new projects. It was a well known fact that long a disproportionate amount of funding was directed toward Belle Isle, so that the state could try to undo some of the years worth of previous neglect. Only in the last three years has there been a noticeable uptick in projects across other state park to replace infrastructure such as electrical, plumbing, and transportation that were worn out over 20 years ago.

I agree that routine maintenance and cleaning up should be done, and it's disappointing to hear that it isn't happening, but even with the increases in revenues over the last decade, there still isn't enough money to go around to bring the state park system as a whole into the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I have yet had to pay to get into the park. Last weekend was the first time I noticed a booth to collect an entrance fee. No one was in that booth.

^^^ Yeah I paid for the enhanced 'parks' access license plate or whatever to use the park and have never been stopped or seen anyone since that was started. So I guess the island is just hanging loose?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ And that's why the numbers are false and exaggerated.
    Think what you will. People dying aren't a exaggeration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2