Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bangkok 96 opened up again for takeout on the 4th. My wife and I decided to get some carry out yesterday and they seemed to be doing a lot of business; it took over a dozen calls to get through and place our order.

They had a pretty good setup; there was a counter set up at the door of the building where you could order there or pick up your phoned in order, and there was quite a line waiting since apparently very few people managed to get through by phone. At no point did customers ever actually enter the building. They also had a "clean pens" and a "dirty pens" container so you weren't touching potentially contaminated pens when signing your receipt.

Even in pre-pandemic times I always have carried a pen on me for signing... and especially now. For going to the pharmacy... I make sure I use disposable gloves [[100/$1 at dollar store) to sign their electronic sign pad.

Ironically being a borderline hypochondriac all my adult life [[used to get 5 respiratory infections a year before getting my tonsils out at 27) it feels like I've been practicing all my life for this pandemic [[I know... pretty pathetic)... but I haven't had the flu, sore throat or bronchitis since I had the tonsils out.

Just not used to those face masks...

When you think about all the people who eat out on a regular basis and never cook at home it’s no wonder our grocery stores are having a hard time keeping up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Even in pre-pandemic times I always have carried a pen on me for signing... and especially now. For going to the pharmacy... I make sure I use disposable gloves [[100/$1 at dollar store) to sign their electronic sign pad.

Ironically being a borderline hypochondriac all my adult life [[used to get 5 respiratory infections a year before getting my tonsils out at 27) it feels like I've been practicing all my life for this pandemic [[I know... pretty pathetic)... but I haven't had the flu, sore throat or bronchitis since I had the tonsils out.

Just not used to those face masks...
    I bought a couple packs of those dollar store disposable gloves. They're great. I have to put rubber bands around my wrists to keep them on...

^^^ I've not seen those. The ones I use [[large size) fit snug like the kind doctors use/ no talc. I have the clear and the blue ones. I have paid on average, online $5 to $10 a box [[100 ct).

Pre-COVID as I used them for house-cleaning - I could not have used something slipping down off my hands.

I heard that some nearby Red Lobster restaurants OVER-PROMISED, taking in abundant online orders [[for Mother's day). This resulted in wrap-round lines of folks standing outside - and unfulfilled orders.

I was out briefly yesterday, driving in Southfield, I saw several lines around some franchise spots. Bad reviews are going to start to post for restaurants that are not up for the challenge of online fulfillment!

I ordered from Fleming’s yesterday and I got worried when my son mentioned a line a half a mile long on Wayne Rd for Red Lobster. I had a 5:45 pick up time and when I arrived there was nobody waiting. When I pulled up to the door before I could dial the number two guys came out with a bag asked my name and put the bag in my car. when I got home everything was perfect! Pricey but very good. They even included a Rose a mother’s day card and a set of wine glass tags.

^^^ Yes, somehow I'm not surprised Red Lobster could not get a take-out order like that crush together.

I would have never bothered. Fleming's service sounds awesome!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-11-20 at 03:44 PM.

I've been dying fo a huge fillet from Texas Roadhouse.

What do people do in that situation? Pick it up,.. then drive 15-20 min home and eat a cool steak? [[Cold if you eat the salad first).

Or bring a fork and a steak-knife and eat it out of the foam box in your car?

It's supposed to be in the 70's by Thursday, I just may bring a folding table with me and set it up in their parking lot.

I've done McDonalds drive-thru,.. and a couple carry out pizzas,.. but I'm in the mood for some man food.

I guess Red Lobster really was busy including the police busting up one of their lines per a few reviews.....

https://www.yelp.com/biz/red-lobster...t_by=date_desc

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I guess Red Lobster really was busy including the police busting up one of their lines per a few reviews.....

https://www.yelp.com/biz/red-lobster...t_by=date_desc

Maybe it's just me. I've only been to Dead Lobster twice in my life, and it's been years, but I thought the food there sucked. It was like a high-end TV dinner. I certainly wouldn't consider eating there on a good day, and I certainly wouldn't spend the money and 6 hours of my life to bring that home, cold, for a special occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    but I'm in the mood for some man food.

Kill it and grill it, bro'. I can't stand cold grilled meat, and nuking a good steak turns it into strange consistency.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-11-20 at 07:33 PM.

I want to give a high quality recommendation for Bogart'z on Mack in Cornerstone Village. We moved to East English Village a couple years ago and continued to hear about this place nearby. We finally used their convenient curbside pick up this past weekend and were very satisfied with the quality of the food. We will be sure to give them more business going forward.

http://bogartzdetroit.com/Menu.html

Buy local!!

Nope, I've never cared for them either HT - especially not being a lobster lover - knowing it's mostly 'bag-n-boil' crap with crappy attitudes and crowds too.

Um, no thank you. I can make a better tuna casserole at home!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe it's just me. I've only been to Dead Lobster twice in my life, and it's been years, but I thought the food there sucked...

Nope, I've never cared for them either HT - especially not being a lobster lover - knowing it's mostly 'bag-n-boil' crap with crappy attitudes and crowds too.

Um, no thank you. I can make a better tuna casserole at home!
    I have never seen tuna casserole on the menu at Red Lobster...

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Now that you say that I don’t know if I have ever seen tuna casserole on any restaurant menu.

I heard that some nearby Red Lobster restaurants OVER-PROMISED, taking in abundant online orders [[for Mother's day). This resulted in wrap-round lines of folks standing outside - and unfulfilled orders.
    I was out briefly yesterday, driving in Southfield, I saw several lines around some franchise spots. Bad reviews are going to start to post for restaurants that are not up for the challenge of online fulfillment!
    I was one of the dumb asses who ordered from Red Lobster. I was at the Dearborn Hgts location on Telegraph in the line wrapped around the parking lot. A guy in line had gone to the Southgate location & said he saw the same thing. I don't know if it was that they over promised, but at the location I ordered from, it looked like they had maybe 4 staff working that day. They really needed to have their full staff on duty that day. It would've been better if they had a staff person in the parking lot/at the door giving directions to customers. Many people in line were upset as no one knew what was going on as there was one long line for everything. Even the delivery drivers had to wait. It appeared to me that after I waited close to an hour & a half to approach the pick up window that my order didn't get cooked until I arrived at the pick up window. I still had to wait 30 mins for it. I did get an e-mail from them today offering apologies, but nothing else like an e-mail/online coupon for a free something. Not enough for me to return any time soon.

I did Balkan today. COOL! Generous portions [[for a change since this whole deliver thing took off). My burger was huge!!

I'll eat the other half tomorrow. And the delivery was actually five minutes before time promised!

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Just tried the Doner Kebab from Balkan in Hamtramck. It’s the best outside of Germany. Thanks. I’ve been looking for something like this for years.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-12-20 at 03:05 PM.

I think they WAAAY over promised. Ick... I would not have wanted anything coming out of that sweat-shop that day! As a rule I stay away from restaurants for special events/ holidays/ free food days, etc.

Too bad they failed badly so as to earn bad reviews that don't die easily.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    ....I was at the Dearborn Hgts location on Telegraph in the line wrapped around the parking lot. A guy in line had gone to the Southgate location & said he saw the same thing. I don't know if it was that they over promised...
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-13-20 at 09:13 AM.

I was just poking fun relative to seafood fare....... the fancy to the canned.

Hmm, I am sorta hankering for my own tuna casserole now. Takes alot of cheese to make though!

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post

Cause it's BEST home-made in your own kitchen. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Now that you say that I don’t know if I have ever seen tuna casserole on any restaurant menu.

As far as Red Lobster goes, who cares about their food after you fill up on those absolutely delicious biscuits!

Oh yeah! They are almost worth the infrequent trip. They're getting smaller and smaller though........

I'm getting hungry and not in the cooking mood today.

Any suggestions for something in the mid-town area?
    Cass Cafe
    Gus's World Famous Chicken
    Spread Deli
    Shield's Pizza
    Ima Midtown [[dinner only)
    Potato Place
    Harmony Garden Cafe [[Middle Eastern)
    Awake Cafe [[coffee, sandwiches)
    Great Lakes Coffee
    Motor City Brewing Works [[pizza, salads)

I hate to be a complainer, I hate people like that, but here goes anyway: at just about every restaurant I’ve had carry out from since this shit started, from fast food places on up, I’ve seen stuff that’s made me uncomfortable as far as people preparing or delivering the food to me. I’m not talking about food being delivered to my house, I mean getting it at the restaurant.
    I guess the answer is shut up and eat at home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast