Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    On the other hand, why do folks even bother to worry about kids' games and scores? NFL is all kids, so are MLB, NHL, and that other dribbling thing. Pay attention to the real world and you'll be better off.
    Just curious, what do you grumpy old men say in Nevada? Get off my plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Just curious, what do you grumpy old men say in Nevada? Get off my plastic?
    No, use your plastic here all you wish, not problem. Please wipe with a swab first. Appreciated!

[[That said, yeah, I really have become a grumpy old man in the last year. Wife and I are well, and no Covid shit in our family lines so far. I pray for all of us for a much better 2021. Sigh.)

[[That said, yeah, I really have become a grumpy old man in the last year. Wife and I are well, and no Covid shit in our family lines so far. I pray for all of us for a much better 2021. Sigh.)
    That said, I'm kinda flipping channels today [[Sunday, the 3rd) to the various NFL games, and hearing huge roars out of the stands as the various foosball teams score, don't score, or run out of bounds. The roars are tremendous! Yet.............there are no one in the stands.

I don't know if the networks are really that dumb, or if football fans are so dumb they really think the vendors are overworked.

Either way, sad commentary on the intelligence of America. Sigh.

That said, I'm kinda flipping channels today [[Sunday, the 3rd) to the various NFL games, and hearing huge roars out of the stands as the various foosball teams score, don't score, or run out of bounds. The roars are tremendous! Yet.............there are no one in the stands.

I don't know if the networks are really that dumb, or if football fans are so dumb they really think the vendors are overworked.

Pretty much everyone with a pulse realizes the NFL has been pumping crowd noise into these games all season because fans aren't allowed [[or allowed in reduced capacity) in stadiums. All other sports did or are doing it too. Not sure any commentary is involved or necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    Pretty much everyone with a pulse realizes the NFL has been pumping crowd noise into these games all season because fans aren't allowed [[or allowed in reduced capacity) in stadiums. All other sports did or are doing it too. Not sure any commentary is involved or necessary.
    Actually this has been going on for several years at the games with crowds.

Most of the sports messed around with crowd noise at the start of the pandemic, and it is a far better viewing experience with the fake noise vs. the dead silence in the stadiums, for any sport. It also helps to cover up some of the less than TV-friendly chatter on the field/court.

The networks aren't trying to fool anyone with the recorded fan noise. It's obvious that there are not enough people present to make that much noise. They're just trying to bring some semblance of normalcy to the game. It has nothing to do with intelligence or a lack thereof.

Thanks...I now have this vision of Ray sitting on the couch in the air-conditioning, pointing at the tv, and shouting to his passing wife who's carrying a basket of laundry...."Honey look ! I hear voices and there's nobody there !!"

And with the 7th pick of the 2021 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Alabama Wide Receiver DeVonta Smith. Because that's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Thanks...I now have this vision of Ray sitting on the couch in the air-conditioning, pointing at the tv, and shouting to his passing wife who's carrying a basket of laundry...."Honey look ! I hear voices and there's nobody there !!"

And with the 7th pick of the 2021 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Alabama Wide Receiver DeVonta Smith. Because that's what we do.
    Sounds a lot better then a cornerback who is good against the run but can’t keep up with opposing teams wide receivers.

The final blow to the Matt Patricia legacy. He was hired largely based on his skills as defensive coach of the Patriots and yet, of all his failings, the Lions defense was his worst. This from Mondays Free Press front page.

Now fixing defense ironically has to be his successor's number on priority.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.08.28 AM.png
Views: 523
Size:  199.5 KB

Not happening, m8. He'll be gone by then.

Yeah kind of like the moon landing too. I've been thinking whoever is the home team should get to control of the crowd noise. So when the other team is first and goal, for instance, the fans noise should be chanting DEE-FENCE DEE-FENCE... and be able to torque up the volume to what it would be in at normal points in a normal game and go almost quiet when the other team scores.

I also think sound track and volume should be controlled by a committee of diehard fans, not by team management, such that the sound track should be able to rain down boo's when the Lions make another bone-headed play or or when a ref blows a call.

Any takers?

He'll be long gone by the time Detroit picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    He'll be long gone by the time Detroit picks.
    Long gone is quite a stretch. Regardless of the Heisman, many people don't even have him rated as the top receiver available. He's not even 180 lbs., so there are concerns about how his body will hold up in the pro game. 3 QBs are pretty much guaranteed to go before him, and anyone trading up could drop him even further. Crazy Carlos had him going 6th in the Freep, and most projections are similar. That's only one pick away.

Long gone is quite a stretch. Regardless of the Heisman, many people don't even have him rated as the top receiver available. He's not even 180 lbs., so there are concerns about how his body will hold up in the pro game. 3 QBs are pretty much guaranteed to go before him, and anyone trading up could drop him even further. Crazy Carlos had him going 6th in the Freep, and most projections are similar. That's only one pick away.
    Maybe. But small receivers have been quite successful in the NFL. Steve Smith, Tyreek Hill, Cole Beasley and a few others. Speed kills. Still don't think he'll be around, he's one of the best route-runners in college football. Of course the Lions wouldn't take a WR with the 7th pick, would they?

No surprise no other NFL team interviewed Darryl Bevell for a HC job. . . ...

Who cares? I took a knee to the NFL.

Any chance of the Lions hiring a HC or GM that doesn't mumble "UHMMMM" every 3rd or 4th word? Any. . . ...?

Lions may get a head coach named Brad Campbell who used to play only season with them when they have historic 0-16 loss in NFL History. This new coach is now DE Head Coach of the Saints. But bringing this guy into a DL head coaching position could bring a " Matt Patricia" problem as the Bobby Layne Curse continues.

Well, the clock is ticking and the candidates are narrowing, so they'll have to make some decisions very soon. They already lost out on Dearborn native Robert Saleh, who was seemingly high on almost everyone's list. He decided for some reason that the perennially losing New York Jets were a better bet than the even bigger perennial losers, the Detroit Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Lions may get a head coach named Brad Campbell who used to play only season with them when they have historic 0-16 loss in NFL History. This new coach is now DE Head Coach of the Saints. But bringing this guy into a DL head coaching position could bring a " Matt Patricia" problem as the Bobby Layne Curse continues.
    A lot of people like to be optimistic with Holmes as the GM and looks like Campbell is the favorite for HC. I can't help but that neither of these guys have true experience with either job, and they are going to be on the job learning essentially. It is pathetic how this organization cannot get any solid candidates with real experience and success.

I predict if Campbell is hired it'll be another circus like Quintricia was, lasting 3-4 years and then a cycle of firing.

You obviously cared enough to comment.
    Who cares? I took a knee to the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

It's Dan Campbell, not Brad...

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    You obviously cared enough to comment.
    IKR...

It's time for a new topic the 2021 Detroit Lions.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast