Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

I keep hearing and reading people say they should trade Stafford. I don't have a problem with that, but I think the pundits are grossly over-estimating his worth on the market. A 1st round pick for a 13 year QB who has never won anything ? I don't think so.

The thought of drafting a QB this year when we're stuck with this defense doesn't interest me either. Our front 7 is slow, old, lacks talent, and without a scheme. Except for an occasional spark from Penisini, we got nothin'. I'm sure our secondary blows too, but it's hard to tell when opposing QBs get forever to scan the field. Are we incapable of blitzing a cornerback or safety ? Lol, we can't cover anyone anyways !

I'm cutting Jeff Okudah some slack for a year. He's not the 1st CB to have a shaky 1st year. Camp wasn't normal, and he was obviously overwhelmed a bit. It took Slay 3 years to figure out what is a very tough position to learn.

As far as management, I have no clue what role Sheila and her husband played in the last round of hirings. She's done the right thing so far by dropping the axe, so we can only hope for the best....yet again.

With Stafford's big $63-million cap over the next 2-years. . ....he belongs on the NE Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    It might take at least two offseasons to overhaul that mess of a defense. Trey Flowers, Tracy Walker, and Jeff Okudah [[when he hopefully makes the jump many corners make in their second and third years) are about the only guys I could envision as starting level talent on a competitive team. They legit need to replace every single linebacker on the roster.
    If by using the word “overhaul” you mean rebuild, aren’t we in about the 5th year of that? Or maybe the 15th? Or has it actually been 63 years? Seems kind of lengthy in any case. Overhauls aren’t supposed to go on forever - are they?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If by using the word “overhaul” you mean rebuild, aren’t we in about the 5th year of that? Or maybe the 15th? Or has it actually been 63 years? Seems kind of lengthy in any case. Overhauls aren’t supposed to go on forever - are they?
    You've got to like the NBA for one thing. I've been waiting for Gores to allow a total rebuild since he bought the team and once he gave the okay it took 48 hours to replace 75% of the roster. Meanwhile the Tigers are in year 5 and, as you say, the Lions in decade 5.

Five people have been fired this NFL season. . . ...

Head coaches: Matt Patricia, Bill O’Brien, Dan Quinn

General Mgrs: Bob Quinn, Thomas Dimitroff

Guess where four of the five came from: the Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Five people have been fired this NFL season. . . ...

Head coaches: Matt Patricia, Bill O’Brien, Dan Quinn

General Mgrs: Bob Quinn, Thomas Dimitroff

Guess where four of the five came from: the Patriots
    There is a pretty convincing pile of either unemployed or returned to the the Patriots personnel that leads to a conclusion that Bill Belichick is the essential ingredient in anything related to the ‘Patriot Way’ when it comes to management or coaching in the NFL.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; December-18-20 at 08:34 PM.

Same ole stinking losing Lions! Crushed by the Titans.

Titans 46
    Detroit 25

5-9

Fourteen down two to go. Get rid of Bad Luck Stafford. Playing ball with a bum rib. He is jinx!

The Bobby Layne Curse continues.

I heard a rumor that Jim Caldwell may return to be head coach of the Detroit Lions.

He better not return!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I heard a rumor that Jim Caldwell may return to be head coach of the Detroit Lions.

He better not return!

Oh god no. As much as he was better than Patricia, that would still be a step towards indefinite mediocrity. The Lions need to pick a GM first and then let the GM decide the best fit.

He better not return!
    I would be totally shocked. But then again it is the Lions we’re talking about. Anything is possible and it’s usually bad news.

I keep seeing articles speculating on the Lions next coach. I know the Lions are backwards but I assume even they will be first hiring a gm, who will then make the coaching hire.

Same ole Losing Lions! Those Pirates of the Caribbean made the Lions Walk the Plank.

Buccaneers 47
    Lions 7

5-10

Fifteen Down one to go. Lions play without a full coaching staff. Bad luck full of jinx Stafford has crash and burn and possibly out for the season. Time for Stafford to retire immediately. He's done.

The Bobby Layne Curse continues.

What puzzles me is how can they pay these also-rans so many millions of bucks when there is no one in the stands? Yeah, TV pays a lot, but that's still a ton of lost bucks this season.

But, then, being an NFL yawner, I really don't much care if they go under.

What puzzles me is how did this dumpster fire win five games.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    What puzzles me is how did this dumpster fire win five games.
    I was thinking the exact same thing after watching that performance today. It was an affront to all Lions fans.

with the ankle injury, will Stafford play next week?

if the team ends up 5 - 11, what would that mean as far as a drafting choice?

will a new general manager be allowed to radically reinvent the franchise or just make a few modest changes to personnel?

It looked like the defense was taking the day off along with the coach.

Stafford, mediocre and in decline as he is, is still miles better than anyone else the Lions have at QB. As we saw last season, they literally cannot win a game, or even score more than a few points, without him. Tells you just how bad the rest of the team really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

will a new general manager be allowed to radically reinvent the franchise or just make a few modest changes to personnel?
    Who will sing the anthem at game 6 next season?

So we need a GM, a Head Coach, and a quarterback. I figure the odds of getting all 3 anywhere near right is about the same as our annual pre-season Super Bowl odds....about 150-1.

If there was ever an NFL game where the Lions were truly the 'Washington Generals', it was yesterday.

For the 2nd week in a row, an astute announcer tore our linebackers to shreds. Single coverage from a linebacker on the slot receiver going deep. Jeesh !

I laughed when Quinn acquired Adrian Peterson, but where would be without the guy ? He's like the aging long reliever on a lousy team like the Tigers...eating up innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

As much as I can't stomach another rebuild, I can't see where a few changes are going to get them anywhere. They don't have much worth keeping or building on. A handful of offensive players, maybe one or two on the defense. I can't see them making the playoffs next year no matter what happens. Might as well blow it all up, start with a clean slate, get rid of everybody including the people who cook the hotdogs.

Y'know, for what it's worth, any athlete making a wage over the minimum wage scale, should bow their employers four times a day and say "thank you". Most of those goons would be fortunate to be making that were it not for the stupidity of paying fans. Hey, just sayin'.

Lions need Urban Meyer to Head Coach next year.

Lions need Urban Meyer to Head Coach next year.
    Urban has the brains to not work for a group of idiots like the Fords. Screw the Bobby Layne Curse, it's the Assassination Day Mistake!
    Last edited by pjbear05; December-29-20 at 05:33 PM.

Same ole' stinking, losing Lions!!! Plundered!!!

Vikings 37
    Lions 35

Why do they have to keep the points close!!!

5-11

Game Over! It's time for Bad Luck Stafford has got to go. Jim Harbaugh, we need you. And it's time for a change. Who is staying or who is going.

Bobby Layne was right with his continuing curse. The Lions will never win a championship game in over 50 years.

Detroit Lions losing more games since 1958.
    Last edited by Danny; January-03-21 at 05:42 PM.

On the other hand, why do folks even bother to worry about kids' games and scores? NFL is all kids, so are MLB, NHL, and that other dribbling thing. Pay attention to the real world and you'll be better off.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast