Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yep, and gold is down if you are trying to hock that... might be a good buying time. I've noted that Pawnshops are still open.

I get that as they function as means of accessing money.

How's about that!

I don't think you have to be part of the ULTRA TDS, anti-Trump camp to see the president goofed up-mega last week... I've said elsewhere it's one thing to dodge the holes of politics.

It's quite another to dig 'em deep, and jump in!

His carelessness this go-around were 'easy-bake' oven level for the mocking and scorning. He owns it in that his comments were unnecessary, garnering little comfort, clarification, or useful help. Donald Trump's statements [[or sarcasm as he later redacted) couldn't be followed as stated or construed.

Great for shoveling that hole ever deeper though! ------

Setting aside the accusations of lying etc. Trump's just no good at extemporaneous conversation [[he's not the first president with the problem), especially on the subject of COVID-19. Examples: his early careless words such as 'disappear', 'one person coming in from China...' etc. early on...

Add to that the fragment sentences, more un-verified statements, his attempt to articulate medical and scientific concepts/ ideas he 'heard' about the subject: his recent commentary was very poor and misleading.

Tossing prime rib morsels for his detractors!!

Trump's over-exposed - needs to stand back. His numbers are dropping as his supporters buckle under the weight of what was so unnecessary to require their defense!

He may even consider listening to advisors to stop the rambling commentary [[brainstorming as it's being called).

I need my back-bone of defense for other things... I'd not carry all this weight even if I'd voted for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Actually he said "injection inside" of disinfectant. What part of that did you not hear......https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...navirus-trump/.

And no, it wasn't a "sarcastic" remark as he stated the following day. As far as Birx, she should have immediately said something. The surgeon general had to issue a statement ...."As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body [[through injection, ingestion or any other route),"....
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-28-20 at 03:03 PM.

Political parties are just a red herring to distract us from the fact that the whole system is broken. Big business and the 1% are the ones who really run this country at this point.

Detroit shouldn’t expect any sympathy during these hard times, I remember well the oil embargo recession in 1980. It hit Detroit the hardest as gas prices doubled, car loan interest rates were 15%, and the inflation rate was 13%. The “Big 3” couldn’t give a car away at any price no matter how low. Chrysler went to Washington to beg for money. No one cared about what was happening here. The rest of the country saw the auto workers as overpaid lazy and greedy and just laughed. No tears will be shed for Detroit then or now.

Well now oil prices are at negative and interest rates are at zero. If the virus gets under control soon, this could be a huge moment for car buying.
    Last edited by Metro25; April-30-20 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Detroit shouldn’t expect any sympathy during these hard times, I remember well the oil embargo recession in 1980. It hit Detroit the hardest as gas prices doubled, car loan interest rates were 15%, and the inflation rate was 13%. The “Big 3” couldn’t give a car away at any price no matter how low. Chrysler went to Washington to beg for money. No one cared about what was happening here. The rest of the country saw the auto workers as overpaid lazy and greedy and just laughed. No tears will be shed for Detroit then or now.
    At least this go around, Detroit can take some solace in the fact that Houston's is finally suffering along with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    In addition to all that, Detroit was producing vehicles that were inferior to Japanese cars, and people had started to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Are you really making rational excuses for Trump's advice to inject disinfectants in the body or bring light into the body to kill coronavirus? .
    He never advised anyone to inject anything! You and the fake news love to spin whatever off the wall remark he comes up with. And yes he does think out loud and come up with some dumb shit! But you don’t have to put words in his mouth!

It is important that we continue to cower in fear in our homes, and sacrifice our economy, and our ability to deal with whatever comes this Winter and next year.

This SARS-Cov-2 is the worst thing we've ever seen. Deaths worldwide are now an astronomical 235,300. That's a full 36% of what the FLU kills every year [[646,000),... and a full 3.4% of what smoking kills each year [[7 million). Truly horrific!

Your masters know what's best for you. Please do not engage in thinking. You must believe everything the medical professionals and politicians tell you. They are very righteous people, and they never think of themselves. They only have your best interest at heart.
    Last edited by Bigdd; May-01-20 at 10:55 AM.

For certain the spread and incidences of C-19 and associated death and illness varies. Yet the response is rather leveling [[pardon the pun) one size fits all! I'm not sure what to do, however.

Clearly in Detroit we have a VERY serious problem/ spread requiring quarantining and increased over-site on how health care is delivered to those in need. Including more testing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    It is important that we continue to cower in fear in our homes, and sacrifice our economy, and our ability to deal with whatever comes this Winter and next year.

This SARS-Cov-2 is the worst thing we've ever seen. Deaths worldwide are now an astronomical 235,300. That's a full 36% of what the FLU kills every year [[646,000),... and a full 3.4% of what smoking kills each year [[7 million). Truly horrific!

Your masters know what's best for you......
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-01-20 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post

Your masters know what's best for you. Please do not engage in thinking. You must believe everything the medical professionals and politicians tell you. They are very righteous people, and they never think of themselves. They only have your best interest at heart.
    SARS-Cov-2 is the leading cause of death in the United States right now. It has killed more people in the U.S. in a month than the flu did in the entire 2018-2019 flu season.

Right! Well stated. That is the MOST crucial distinction that clearly sets C-19 apart from the standard flu.

No one has to convince most Detroiter's of this. NOPE.

SO many of us have been touched directly or indirectly having known someone who's had C-19 or succumbed to it!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    SARS-Cov-2 is the leading cause of death in the United States right now. It has killed more people in the U.S. in a month than the flu did in the entire 2018-2019 flu season.

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    And yes he does think out loud and come up with some dumb shit!
    Exactly.

’Thinking out loud and coming up with dumb shit’ perfectly describes how stupid Trump is. He hasn’t a clue what leadership is and obviously is to dumb to even grasp the concept. He’s to busy thinking of “dumb shit.” Thanks Wheels, that point should end it.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-01-20 at 11:11 AM.

Several posts made this thread, that degenerated into off-topic national political debate, have been moved to the Non-Detroit forum's covid19 political discussion.

Kindly keep national political debates off the Discuss Detroit forum. Please save us the work of having to clean them out, move them, and write posts like this.

One thing commonly heard during this crisis from people is: ‘We need to buy less stuff from China.’

‘Made in Detroit’ has branding power as ‘American to the core.’ We have seen several companies use the Detroit brand with success in the past. When the current health problems abate, using that branding power of ‘Detroit’ could be advantageous.

The latest estimates I'm seeing suggest that the SAAR for auto sales fell to 8.6 million in April [[and this is a best case), which is lower than the lowest point during the Great Recession.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-04-20 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The latest estimates I'm seeing suggest that the SAAR for auto sales fell to 8.6 million in April [[and this is a best case), which is lower than the lowest point during the Great Recession.
    What are you talking about? The total USA auto sales for 1932 was just under 1 million sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    What are you talking about?
    I repeat, if the best case auto sales estimate of 8.6 million SAAR is correct for April, that number would be lower than the lowest point during the Great Recession.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-05-20 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I repeat, if the best case auto sales estimate of 8.6 million SAAR is correct for April, that number would be lower than the lowest point during the Great Recession.
    Obviously Gistok read Depression, not Recession, since the word Great has historically been associated with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Obviously Gistok read Depression, not Recession, since the word Great has historically been associated with that.
    I figured that much, which is why I repeated my statement.

Looks like sales are already picking back up in China.

GM and SAIC's China sales rebound in April as market recovers

BEIJING [[Reuters) - General Motors’ sales in China saw double-digit year-on-year growth in April, its two local ventures said on Sunday, as the world’s biggest auto market recovers from the coronavirus.
    GM’s [[GM.N) joint venture with SAIC Motor Corp [[600104.SS), which manufactures Buick, Chevrolet and Cadillac vehicles, said its sales in China grew 13.6% compared to a year earlier. It said it had sold 111,155 units in April, including exported cars.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN22F0ND

For what it is worth, Moody's view of cities positioned for recovery from the pandemic. Cities with a high level of education, percentage of jobs that require a higher education and low population density are most likely to recover first. Unfortunately, Detroit falls short of educational attainment and jobs requiring a college education. The one thing in Detroit's favor is a lower population density. Cities like San Jose, Austin, the Research Triangle, and Omaha [[?) appear best positioned for a quick turnaround. Comments?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/citie...144452350.html

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Looks like sales are already picking back up in China.

GM and SAIC's China sales rebound in April as market recovers

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN22F0ND

Great, I was concerned China wouldn't recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great, I was concerned China wouldn't recover.

ROFL

I think the inference was that it was good for GM's health, [[a company headquartered here) ... and even more importantly, a good sign that our economy will quickly recover.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast