Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

-Meg White, "White Stripes", owns a house in Indian Village.
    -Perry Watson, basketball coach, Lafayette Park.
    -Monica Conyers and attorney Carl Collins [["he is goood!) are in Palmer Woods.
    Last edited by Bro Greg; April-13-20 at 11:09 PM.

Monica Conyers is a celebrity? Maybe in her own mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Monica Conyers is a celebrity? Maybe in her own mind!
    Agreed. Detroit has people who served much longer sentences.

I found this thread through a google search archive, Link below:

THAT WAS THE NICE THING ABOUT THE MOTOWN ARTIST'S. THEY LIVED AMONG US. SMOKEY ROBINSON LIVED ON SANTA BARBARA BETWEEN CAMBRIDGE & W. OUTER DR, BEFORE MOVING TO SOUTFIELD. BERRY GORDY OF COURSE LIVED ON MONICA & W. OUTER DR, WHERE BOTH CHRIS CLARK AND DIANA ROSS LIVED WITH HIM THERE FOR A WHILE[[ NOT AT THE SAME TIME ). INTERESTING STORY ABOUT B.G....BEFORE HE PURCHASED THE WEST OUTER DR. HOUSE, HE WANTED TO PURCHASE A HOUSE IN THE SHERWOOD FOREST AREA ACROSS LIVERNOIS WHICH WAS MORE OF A "WHITE ONLY" ENCLAVE. ALTHOUGH THE HOME OWNERS WERE SYMPATHETIC, AND BERRY OFFERED MORE MONEY THAN ANYONE ELSE...THERE WAS APPARENTLY AN UNWRITTEN PACT AMONGST THE NEIGHBORS THAT NO ONE WOULD BE THE "FIRST" TO INTEGRATE THE NEIGHBORHOOD...THUS, BG HAD TO SETTLE FOR HIS SECOND CHOICE. I REMEMBER PAUL WILLIAMS APARTMENT OVER A STOREFRONT ON WOODWARD AVE, BEFORE HE MOVED TO N.W. DETROIT. JUMMY RUFFIN WAS A NEIGHBOR OF MINE AT 1300 LAFAYETTE IN LAFAYETTE PARK, ETC, ETC. MANY OF YOU I'M SURE WILL REMEMBER WHERE AND WHEN MOTOWN ARTISTS LIVED AROUND THE CITY...BUT NORTHWEST DETROIT SEEMED TO BE THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF CHOICE DURING THE 60'S...STU
    Link: https://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/...tml?1048222608
    Last edited by Sehv313; April-17-20 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    - Snoop Dogg use to spend high school summers with his dad in a home on Woodhall near Cadieux & Morang and worked temporarily at the McDonald's at Eastland Mall.
    Correction: Snoop Dogg said he lived on West 8 Mile with his dad then moved to Whitehill Street on the Eastside in 1986.
    He talks about it here on an album skit back when he changed his name to Snoop Lion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3a5ortemY

Quote Originally Posted by Bro Greg View Post
    Monica Conyers and attorney Carl Collins [["he is goood!) are in Palmer Woods.
    Monica Conyers is at 2727 W. 7 Mile Rd [[University District)
    Atty. Carl Collins is at 19331 Suffolk [[Palmer Woods)
    Mark Snethkamp JR [[GM of Bill Snethkamp in H.P.) is at 19169 Strathcona Dr [[Palmer Woods)

That Land Grid website is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Not sure if Big Sean owns anything.
    Big Sean grew up at 18011 Northlawn St [[between Curtis & Thatcher) and that home is now owned by an Albert Edwards of Edwards Partnership LLC whomever that may be.

Martha Reeves grew up on Townsend St. between Vernor and Kercheval. My understanding is that some of the family still lives there.

Also, Della Reese grew up one block over on Sheridan St. between Vernor and Kercheval.

Carl Levin grew up on Philip Street, somewhere between Kercheval and Mack [[I wanna say near the corner of Vernor).

Lily Tomlin lived in the Brewster-Douglass projects.

Bill Bonds grew up in Milwaukee Junction.

Aretha Franklin, for a time, lived in an apartment complex on Kercheval between Sheridan and Field Street.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-19-20 at 07:14 AM.

Honky Tonk, a DetroitYES! influencer...

Aretha Franklin was living in her Riverfront Towers apartment when she passed away.

Bob Seger was in Ann Arbor, and Iggy Pop was in Ypsilanti.

If you count 1970s rockers as celebrities, there would've been a few living in/hailing from Detroit during that era.

I think Alice Cooper was a Detroiter, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

I suppose there's a big difference between those that got started in Detroit and those that actually stayed after they made it big.

Eminem lives out near 28 Mile Road. Prior to that he was at 19946 Dresden Street near 8 Mile. Strictly speaking, that was his mother's house, not his. He never owned it, nor do I think he would want it. Then it got torched [[arson) circa 2010.
    Last edited by night-timer; July-20-20 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shawring View Post
    As I know many celebrities still live in Metro Detroit, but not that many live in Detroit City Limits, I know Kid Rock owned a house, so does Tony Hawk and actor Harper Hill, but anyone else's?
    So, why are people talking about the past?

We all reminisce from time to time.

Call it 'weakness' or Human Frailty, but hey...

Detroit is not just a 'poster boy' for failure... I hope you would agree?

Christian Wood of the Detroit Pistons lives in a downtown apartment building.

Check out this guy's highlights, he could really be something special. He can dunk and hit 3's!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFsE38cJto

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Martha Reeves grew up on Townsend St. between Vernor and Kercheval. My understanding is that some of the family still lives there.
    Being that Townsend St. is only 2-3 blocks away from Van Dyke, that also adds to the notion that her group was named Martha Reeves & the Van Dellas after their nearest major street in their neighborhood, Van Dyke. Although Rosalind Ashford denied it, I find it hard to believe that a calculated man such as Berry Gordy would name them the "VanDellas" out of thin air, with no explanation of an origin.
    Last edited by Sehv313; July-22-20 at 02:27 AM.

Oh shucks. That's right!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Honky Tonk, a DetroitYES! influencer...

Cause it's interesting as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So, why are people talking about the past?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Also, Della Reese grew up one block over on Sheridan St. between Vernor and Kercheval.

Carl Levin grew up on Philip Street, somewhere between Kercheval and Mack [[I wanna say near the corner of Vernor).

Lily Tomlin lived in the Brewster-Douglass projects.

Bill Bonds grew up in Milwaukee Junction.

Aretha Franklin, for a time, lived in an apartment complex on Kercheval between Sheridan and Field Street.

That's interesting since Carl and Sander Levin grew up in Boston-Edison and graduated from Central High School. Vernor and Chalmers area would have been extremely unlikely as a working class Catholic neighborhood with a sprinkling of white southerners back then. The Jewish community was not exactly prominent around there either.

Bill Bonds' family mainly lived around 12th and Burlingame.

The neighborhoods were more ethnically and religiously defined back then. Not buying those two at all. Although perhaps you were joking.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; July-23-20 at 09:15 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2