Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Midtown Dump?

Interesting, didn't know Cobb's was another old spot in the Corridor. It would have made me want to visit it. Too bad its closing up.
    This is the kind of information I love detroityes for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I did a fast search and while I didn't find the exact date it went from Cobbs to Cass Corridor Food Coop, I think it was about 80 or so. Right after Cobb sold it to Henry and Howard Normile in 78... see link below that shows a photo of owner Robert Cobb:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/food-d...pot-once-stood

Yes, it was the spot back in the day! I was part of a poets and writers group that met and read there in the 80's - 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    For a minute there in 2019 Cobbs Corner was hosting a few pop-up jazz sessions. Very nice, affordable and cool......

Reminded me of old-times in the 'Corridor'.

Saw Ron English play there, as well as Marcus Belgrave.

Oh yes. Awesome times.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    I miss the 'Corridor'.

Fun times indeed!
    I miss it too, had some great times there. I’m talking CAY era, don’t remember it before then.

Wayne State Escapes Worst of Coronavirus Financial Impact, Developing Plan for Return to Campus

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/education/wayne-state-escapes-worst-coronavirus-financial-impact-developing-plan-return-campus-fall

7. Default

You'd walk away before I finished talking about Cobb's Corner of the 70's and early 80's. It was ~the~ gathering place of Detroit's arts bohemia of that era. Down Willis a few doors, where Avalon Baker is today, was the legendary Willis Gallery, a co-op gallery were many, many Detroit artists cut their teeth with their first exhibitions--your truly included.

Robert Cobb owned that space too and made it affordable for the gallery to exist. He was alway a landlord who did not involve himself in the management of the bar or gallery. The bar, by proximity, became the hangout of Detroit's budding artists, musicians, writers, film makers, actors, dance artists and Wayne State students.

Those were the seedy, scary days of the Cass Corridor that was a mix of poor Southern whites, African-Americans, and a lot of old people with not enough money to live anywhere else. A couple of blocks away was 3rd Avenue with its infamous prostitute hookup bars, Anderson's Garden, the above pictured Willis Show Bar, the still existent Jumbo's, the Sweetheart Lounge, and others.

The whole scene had the flavor of left bank Paris of the 1890's were artists of all disciplines mingled and collaborated. The energy was electric and eclectic. Nobody was anybody but everybody was striving and great art, poetry, and music was being created.

Its heyday, when the above mentioned Henry Normile ran it and locally-famed pianist Bobby McDonald performs, had its share of tragedy. Henry, who dealt some drugs on the side, lived in an adjacent space and met his end when someone knocked on his door. When he came to the door an assailant stuck a shotgun through his mail chute and blew him away--murder never solved. Bobby drank and drugged himself to death.

If you are into exploring that exciting era, visit the great site run by Esteban, who had sometimes posted here, The Tribes of the Cass Corridor.

I'm SO HAPPY to report that Robert decided to give it another try. He took down the For Sale signs. The bar is open and Spread Deli is going to do the food. I really like this place and glad he changed his mind. Name:  15919147755262349588160458514904.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  102.1 KB

That's great news. Just walked by today, I noticed that Spread has vacated its former location and moved inside Cobb's. Any info on what will happen to Spread's old location?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5