Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Midtown Dump?

^ Because they haven't made any decisions yet all they've said is that they'll probably go online. Fall is many months away from now so there's plenty of time for things to change.

I guess they're throwing in the towel like their neighbor, Alley Tacos. Too bad, this was my newest favorite neighborhood bar.

Name:  IMG_20200515_125559.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  155.9 KB

Are you just going to post every single random commercial building that goes up for sale or changes hands?

Maybe. LOL..... Don't read it if you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    I guess they're throwing in the towel like their neighbor, Alley Tacos. Too bad, this was my newest favorite neighborhood bar.

Was that the old Willis Show Bar? Was in there many times, fun place.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Was that the old Willis Show Bar? Was in there many times, fun place.
    No. Willis Show Bar is up the street over on Third. This was Cobb's since the 70's I'm guessing. Robert has owned this corner for 30-40 years. He owned Zef's, sold that and decided to re-open Cobb's again a few years back. His Manager/partner was actually trying to run the bar and did OKAY with the WSU crowd and locals but not great. I really liked this place. The food was good, prices were GREAT, and the location was good. I'm sure something else will eventually come in, Robert put a ton of money into the new kitchen.

This is Willis Show Bar you were referring to:

Name:  Willis_104.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  64.0 KB

No. Willis Show Bar is up the street over on Third. This was Cobb's since the 70's I'm guessing. Robert has owned this corner for 30-40 years. He owned Zef's, sold that and decided to re-open Cobb's again a few years back. His Manager/partner was actually trying to run the bar and did OKAY with the WSU crowd and locals but not great. I really liked this place. The food was good, prices were GREAT, and the location was good. I'm sure something else will eventually come in, Robert put a ton of money into the new kitchen.

This is Willis Show Bar you were referring to:

Name:  Willis_104.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  64.0 KB
    Looks WAY more like it, thanks, those were the days,

One little green plant struggles to survive or flourishes in a sea of concrete.

That building has some really cool architectural elements that are subdued,what was it originally?

It seems like it was steps above the average little corner building.

The Willis show bar is outstanding also,lots of little hidden gems it appears.
    Last edited by Richard; May-16-20 at 10:35 AM.

Oh... too bad. I remember the original CC before the building housed the Cass Corridor Food Coop!

Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Oh... too bad. I remember the original CC before the building housed the Cass Corridor Food Coop!

Thanks for the update.
    My friend and I were trying to remember the year the original CC went out of business. Was it around 1980?

I did a fast search and while I didn't find the exact date it went from Cobbs to Cass Corridor Food Coop, I think it was about 80 or so. Right after Cobb sold it to Henry and Howard Normile in 78... see link below that shows a photo of owner Robert Cobb:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/food-d...pot-once-stood

I did a fast search and while I didn't find the exact date it went from Cobbs to Cass Corridor Food Coop, I think it was about 80 or so. Right after Cobb sold it to Henry and Howard Normile in 78... see link below that shows a photo of owner Robert Cobb:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/food-d...pot-once-stood

Interesting article. I miss the Food Co-op. Cheapest place around for staple products. I forgot about that Spiral Collection thing. I don't think after the Co-op I went over there much.

Just to clarify, I didn't get the entire bar in my picture but there are For Sale signs AND For Rent signs. I hope Robert can hang on and get another bar in there. It's all set up and ready to go. It was just finally taking off after a rough start. I really liked the place. Robert is a good man but is 80+. I know he's in Florida a lot and probably ready to pass the torch.

Resturants may be hurting by apartment buildings are still breaking ground. Midtown West is elevator shafts and steel first floor, and Sugar Hill by the VA is land clearing.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Midtown West is elevator shafts and steel first floor
    Some of those units at Midtown West are on Zillow already. They are asking around $500/sqft. If they can sell at anywhere near that price, that would be a good sign for the housing market around here [[or a bad one, if you are wishing for prices to go down )

Quote Originally Posted by CR75 View Post
    Some of those units at Midtown West are on Zillow already. They are asking around $500/sqft. If they can sell at anywhere near that price, that would be a good sign for the housing market around here [[or a bad one, if you are wishing for prices to go down )
    Oh that would be very bad for casscorridor65, daddy wants dirt cheap midtown rent!

Maybe. LOL..... Don't read it if you don't like it.
    I hope you continue to update the thread as you have been.

Robert Cobb:
    Bob Cobb?

Sounds like an advertising character for a corn campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Bob Cobb?

Sounds like an advertising character for a corn campaign.

Nice...

Bob Cobb invented the Cobb Salad back in the 1930's.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Oh that would be very bad for casscorridor65, daddy wants dirt cheap midtown rent!
    I own.

Why is this guy from Ferndale so negative? You don't even live here!

Love,

Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Justin SOD View Post
    I hope you continue to update the thread as you have been.
    Thank you Justin. I have been here since the 60's and feel I have a right to comment about my neighborhood.

Why is this guy from Ferndale so negative? You don't even live here!
    I'm negative? lol you made this thread to be negative.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Bob Cobb invented the Cobb Salad back in the 1930's.
    The Bob Cobb I know prefers to be called Maestro.

For a minute there in 2019 Cobbs Corner was hosting a few pop-up jazz sessions. Very nice, affordable and cool......

Reminded me of old-times in the 'Corridor'.

For a minute there in 2019 Cobbs Corner was hosting a few pop-up jazz sessions. Very nice, affordable and cool......

Reminded me of old-times in the 'Corridor'.
    I miss the 'Corridor'.

Fun times indeed!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast