Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ... 7 47 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1873

Today I heard that many employees are taking their kids to work to take advantage of their on-site child care service but then returning home to work. "Employers don't like it but they're turning a blind eye because of the tight labor market."

Now I'm picturing Arnold Schwarzenegger from Kindergarten Cop as a clueless CEO/babysitter looking around pondering "This used to be a serious business. How did we become a nursery?!"

"My mommy says you're a jerk." LOL!
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-27-21 at 08:01 PM.

Did Biden just throw in the towel on covid?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

A little more context please...? What are you referring to...?

I know he's been busy shopping for weapons to replace the ones he gave away to the Taliban.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I know he's been busy shopping for weapons to replace the ones he gave away to the Taliban.
    Is he buying them back at a greatly inflated price?

Some how that sounds about right...
    considering the way things have been going for the old guy.

Is he buying them back at a greatly inflated price?

Some how that sounds about right...
    considering the way things have been going for the old guy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...cy-bill-526171

Editorial: Biden is failing on COVID leadership

The Detroit News

The Detroit News
    "President Joe Biden met with the nation's governors Monday to tell them the responsibility for combating the COVID-19 crisis rests with them. That's not likely the message they were hoping for, but one they should have expected.
    "There is no federal solution. This gets solved at the state level," Biden told the governors, adding, "if you need something, say something. We're going to have your back in any way we can.""

Hey, let me hold your coat, Gov.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; December-28-21 at 12:46 PM.

The Detroit News

The Detroit News
    "President Joe Biden met with the nation's governors Monday to tell them the responsibility for combating the COVID-19 crisis rests with them. That's not likely the message they were hoping for, but one they should have expected.
    "There is no federal solution. This gets solved at the state level," Biden told the governors, adding, "if you need something, say something. We're going to have your back in any way we can.""

Hey, let me hold your coat, Gov.

A little inflammatory but here it is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...on-11640648750

A little inflammatory but here it is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...on-11640648750
    Wow. Mr. Tonk, you pay for WSJ. That paywall be too high and wide for me.

just kidding

Wow. Mr. Tonk, you pay for WSJ. That paywall be too high and wide for me.

just kidding

Mr. Tonk??? Actually I just copied and pasted the first link I found. It opened for me without issue. There are plenty of others if you can't open that one, without having to pay. I do not subscribe.

Mr. Tonk??? Actually I just copied and pasted the first link I found. It opened for me without issue. There are plenty of others if you can't open that one, without having to pay. I do not subscribe.
    Usually WSJ, NYT and Crain's stop me from accessing the page. But sometimes you can read the beginning. And some pages give you a few free views.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well we can't do what some European countries are contemplating... which is making vaccines MANDATORY. Millions of American's will refuse.

So besides sending in extra military hospital staff/equipment, there's little that he can do with most of the states trying to ignore them anyway. Did he drop the ball on testing supplies? Yes... but that ball has been dropped for even before he became president.

Too bad that Trump [FINALLY] gets serious about vaccines... but now his MAGA folks are booing him...

Sara Palin's comment about getting a vaccine... "over my dead body".... works for me! As the anti-vaxxer preachers and podcasters are dropping like flies... ordinarily people who follow them would think twice about staying un-vaxxed. But then again the folks on Fox are saying it is no worse than the common cold... so ya can't fix stupid.

Waiting for Richard's next 55 paragraphs...

Sleepy Joe don't talk so loud anymore now that the ball's in his court. It's easy to armchair general, life's harder when you're the one being shot at. Speaking of dropping like flies, his numbers don't look so good anymore. There's voters on both sides of the equation, vax and no vax, he chose the Pontius Pilate route, and washed his hands of the whole thing. No fame, no blame.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-28-21 at 02:36 PM.

After posting, I deleted my post immediately, but not before you copied it...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-28-21 at 02:39 PM.

Sleepy Joe don't talk so loud anymore now that the ball's in his court. It's easy to armchair general, life's harder when you're the one being shot at. Speaking of dropping like flies, his numbers don't look so good anymore. There's voters on both sides of the equation, vax and no vax, he chose the Pontius Pilate route, and washed his hands of the whole thing. No fame, no blame.
    I agree. Joe has been around long enough not to underestimate the stupidity of the American people, at least about 40% of them.

I had been running a slight fever so I had a free [[negative) COVID test. There was no line at a site set up for students and staff. I am neither. The people working there seemed glad to have me walk in. The room must have been a former place to store athletic equipment. Concrete floors, overhead shop lights and dim lighting between the exit door and the plastic sheet separating its workers from its visitors . Yet there was bright light and the chatter of voices coming out from beyond the plastic. It was almost cozy somehow.

This was surprising because I see that there are some testing sites around town that have traffic jams. if there is a point to any of this it is that there is a wide disparity in demand at various testing sites. Ask around and line up one testing site should you need it.

Curiously, the on line application for testing used more space for racially profiling me than for asking me which symptoms I had. That may have been to determine percentages of COVID positives by race.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Yet there was bright light and the chatter of voices coming out from beyond the plastic. It was almost cozy somehow.

Sounds like you had one of those out of plastic experiences.

Latest local Detroit news reports...

Omicron so far a 'mild' variant

In an interview with The Associated Press, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the data is very limited and the agency is working on a more detailed analysis of what the new mutant form of the coronavirus might hold for the U.S...

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/omi...at-10-year-low

Local news this morning reported that the new variant has already run its course in Africa and the main trauma hospital is reporting 40 Covid cases with 7 in the ICU,which is about the average in a population of 3 million locally.

Run for the hills we are overwhelmed,life as we know it is ending.

^ As I said, if this variant presents full-out with symptoms as the standard flu can our government city, state and federal adapt?

Forward?

Or more 'more cowbell'?
    Forever?

Some K12 schools have to provide 'mask' breaks for children and teens who tire or feel short of breath of wearing masks - mostly the cloth ones that offer questionable protection in the first place.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-21 at 09:45 AM.

Last edited by Gistok; December-29-21 at 10:47 AM.

There's been growing discussion about some silver linings of Omicron dominating as seen in this NY Times article today.

People who have recovered from an infection with the new Omicron coronavirus variant may be able to fend off later infections from the Delta variant, according to a new laboratory study carried out by South African scientists.

If further experiments confirm these findings, they could suggest a less dire future for the pandemic. In the short term, Omicron is expected to create a surge of cases that will put a massive strain on economies and health care systems around the world. But in the longer term, the new research suggests that an Omicron-dominated world might experience fewer hospitalizations and deaths than one in which Delta continues to rage.

There is truth in what Biden said though or referred to,and that has been the peak of drama from the start.

People think the federal government has the last say when it comes to states and is the all seeing power over.

By design it is not,the federal government is there in capacity to back the states up,that is why they can mandate things related to federal matters and not independent states.

When this all started it was not on the federal government to dictate how the states needed to react.

The whole purpose was to not have an all powerful government capable of over powering individual states.

So he is right,the individual states bear more responsibility over their individual states then the federal government.
    Last edited by Richard; December-29-21 at 10:58 AM.

In other news I get a daily Covid tracking email from The NY Times for the national and Metro Detroit region. I have noticed that the Omicron spike has arrived.

After a few weeks of drifting downwards 14 day case number averages are shooting up dramatically in the Tri-county in the past few days as seen by today's numbers.
    Wayne › +58%
    Oakland › +40%
    Macomb › +28%

These numbers pale in comparison to the state of Florida where today's number is 1051% and Puerto Rico's an astounding 4366%.

Overall Michigan is only +2% today and case numbers have dropped from worst among states few weeks ago to middle of the pack now but that is certain to change.

Yes! Thank you. This is good news and excellent to see it covered on mainstream media [I too have a sub to NYT].

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    There's been growing discussion about some silver linings of Omicron dominating as seen in this NY Times article today.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-21 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    People who have recovered from an infection with the new Omicron coronavirus variant may be able to fend off later infections from the Delta variant, according to a new laboratory study carried out by South African scientists.

If further experiments confirm these findings, they could suggest a less dire future for the pandemic. In the short term, Omicron is expected to create a surge of cases that will put a massive strain on economies and health care systems around the world. But in the longer term, the new research suggests that an Omicron-dominated world might experience fewer hospitalizations and deaths than one in which Delta continues to rage.
    There is so much conflicting information out there it is crazy,there are reports that those who recieved the shot can catch the new version easier.

Mainstream it is like all of the other variants are being replaced by the new ones,you really do not hear much about the delta version anymore,it’s like it went away and was replaced by the next one.

Everybody laughed in the beginning when it was said that this will end up being like the flu,yet here we are.

Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ... 7 47 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 67 ... LastLast