Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 22 of 75 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 72 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If things go a certain way,you can bet we will be on a country wide lockdown again come January.

Avoid the rush now and stock up on TP.

I am still good with 345 rolls left.
    Stopped at Costco for a flu shot after golf on Friday. I couldn’t believe it, lots of people were going full blown jackass over toilet paper again. I actually needed paper towels and there weren’t any available. At the dollar store which is sort of next door to Costco, they had single rolls for 1.00 each.

My niece went up north to visit her in-laws, about 40 miles north of Grand Rapids in Montcalm County... that's MAGA country where they ignore mask wearing [[everything north of Bay City and west of Lansing is MAGA country). She came back, and 4 days later her and her husband both came down with Covid-19, as did 10 of her in-laws family up there.

My next door neighbor and his wife went up to their cottage, north of the Thumb... they were going for 2 weeks [[their usual stay)... but I thought it was weird they were gone for a month. They too picked up Covid-19 in Arenac County and also are in quarantine here.

Yes new infections are jumping up in Michigan, but this time a LOT of it is in outstate areas, due in part to their relaxed attitude about social distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ...Yes new infections are jumping up in Michigan, but this time a LOT of it is in outstate areas, due in part to their relaxed attitude about social distancing.
    Sorry to hear about that.

I suspect it's an attitude more defiant than relaxed. Jim Jones comes to mind.

Pfizer’s Early Data Shows Vaccine Is More Than 90% Effective
    Pfizer announced stunning early results from its coronavirus vaccine trial, cementing the lead in a frenzied global race that has unfolded at record-breaking speed....

The company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said.
    The light at the end of the tunnel!

COVID-19 bubbles for every country [[Nov 6, 2020 update)

I love these animated graphs. They pack so much information into a short presentation. At 9:00 he rewinds to highlight the trajectories of individual countries.

So how's everyone fairing under the recent uptick of the COVID in Michigan? Ready for another lock-down?

I understand it's not so concentrated in SE MI as before. I'm sensing a fatigue from some in keeping up the masking, social distancing and staying in.

I'm starting to hear more sirens again as I live near a major metro city hospital. What are others noticing?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    So how's everyone fairing under the recent uptick of the COVID in Michigan? Ready for another lock-down?

I understand it's not so concentrated in SE MI as before. I'm sensing a fatigue from some in keeping up the masking, social distancing and staying in.

I'm starting to hear more sirens again as I live near a major metro city hospital. What are others noticing?
    I'm so used to the mask wearing, it's not a problem. Hopefully now, we will get this virus under control. I have a friend who teaches in the school district where I live. A fellow teacher came into work sick with her mask around her neck. She tested positive a week ago Saturday and as of today, she's just now starting to feel somewhat better. Her daughter also tested positive and is not faring as well. Her husband has been sleeping on an air mattress at his place of business for the last 9 days. Whatever it takes, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Maof; November-09-20 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I really think the daily positive test numbers don't mean anything to most people anymore, numbers in the hundreds locally or thousands nationally. The gov't and health authorities should focus on hospitalizations and deaths. Siting specific numbers at your local hospital and cases of younger people dying makes it much more real than simply saying there was a spike in case numbers. Of course there will always be the people that don't believe it no matter what and you're not going to change their behavior now anyway.

I think that there is a difference between hearing about it in the news or online... and having someone you know or love coming down with it. When it no longer is just a "statistic"... people may take it more seriously.

I personally have always taken it seriously. It helps when you are a hypochondriac to begin with!

I know I have mentioned this before... but when I am in a nearby store to me [[where I know all the workers there)... and someone goes into the store without a mask... I play my little game... where rather than say anything [[and risk their anger)... I have this little fake cough I've practiced [[from behind my mask)... and after a loud [[fake) cough... I say in a quiet voice... "damn cough"... I have startled many a person who doesn't believe in mask wearing... to make them think twice. And they avoid me like the plague! But the store workers [[who all know me) often laugh under their breath... cuz I'm doing my own little "public service announcement"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBtxkn9F3ZQ

I would be calling the state health department and giving them the address of the store and telling them there was somebody in there that was coughing and admitting that they had “the cough”.

The state would make the store shut down until they did a deep clean in the public’s interests.

I doubt they would be snickering then,that would be like standing in the middle of the store yelling I have a gun,then laughing while everybody tries to get out the doors.

Try that in a couple of months and bet men in suits will be picking you up and putting you into a lockdown with contract tracing where you will not be able to walk down the street without everybody’s phone going off pointing at you.

Was it also ones public duty when AIDS first came out to make it known in public that one had it in order to push safe sex?

The only one to die of Covid that we personally knew was a 43-year-old friend of our daughter's. No prior medical issues. He was one of the first in NYC to catch it and die of it. A good guy, and such a shame.

However, all of the precautions since then directly affected us when my 77-year-old brother died in Sept., of cancer. The hospital would only allow one person daily into the hospital room, so my two nieces took turns during the 8 days he was in ICU. It wasn't until his final hours that the hospital finally allowed both of my brother's daughters into the room at the same time. It was very tough seeing my favorite sibling pass from a ground-floor window w/o ever being able to say a proper goodbye.

I'm thinking that, Dog willing, by this time next year life will be 90% back to normal. The logistics of producing and distributing hundreds of millions of vaccines is gonna be daunting---a combo of the Manhattan Project and the Berlin airlift---but there's no reason this country can't do it, assuming no clowns are undermining the effort for whatever reason.

I would be calling the state health department and giving them the address of the store and telling them there was somebody in there that was coughing and admitting that they had “the cough”.

The state would make the store shut down until they did a deep clean in the public’s interests.

I doubt they would be snickering then,that would be like standing in the middle of the store yelling I have a gun,then laughing while everybody tries to get out the doors.

Try that in a couple of months and bet men in suits will be picking you up and putting you into a lockdown with contract tracing where you will not be able to walk down the street without everybody’s phone going off pointing at you.

Was it also ones public duty when AIDS first came out to make it known in public that one had it in order to push safe sex?
    You're a funny man... finally taking Covid-19 seriously? A bit late for Florida I'm afraid... by Christmas they'll have 1 million cases and 20,000 dead, when being serious about social distancing could have prevented so much.

I love your superb use of a slippery slope argument... you've taken it to a new level...

MI Coronavirus numbers and deaths keep rising.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.det...amp/6223992002

Did you miss the part where he says he's wearing a mask when he coughs in his local store? Nothing to call the state about. People cough for a variety of reasons; he never SAYS he has Covid; it just makes people think twice.

Tom Izzo, renowned MSU basketball coach, has become the latest Michigan celebrity to test positive. To his credit he has been a big advocate of mask wearing as you have likely seen in commercials he appeared in. Get well soon Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You're a funny man... finally taking Covid-19 seriously? A bit late for Florida I'm afraid... by Christmas they'll have 1 million cases and 20,000 dead, when being serious about social distancing could have prevented so much.

I love your superb use of a slippery slope argument... you've taken it to a new level...
    Look at what is happening across the world,countries that had more severe and longer lasting lockdowns and stricter mask policies are not exactly stellar examples of what works.

Remember when AIDS hit,it took a year to inform the public as to safety measures,so how did they slow that spread?

By setting aside separate clinics to treat the infected as they still have today.There are even aids dental clinics.

They figured out back then not to mix.

Reverse your slippery slope and go into a store where people are wearing masks,with no mask and start coughing,bet cha the mask wearers hit the door pretty fast because it is common knowledge that a little piece of cloth is not very effective.

What about all the items in the store or the change one receives that has been god knows where?

What is clear,mask or no mask,if one is going to get it they will and it is like that anywhere in the world.

Its not that I do not take Covid seriously it’s just that I am aware that there is zero I can do to prevent it,I have not stopped working and have been in every place everybody says not to be in,still here.

Numbers are rising everywhere,just as they said they would in the fall so I am not going down the road of saying one state is worse then another.

If a business requires wearing a mask to enter I wear it out of respect of their business their rules,if I do not like it I can go elsewhere,but nobody gave me a corona police badge or is it my duty to set people straight let alone play little parlor games in order to scare anybody into wearing one.
    Last edited by Richard; November-10-20 at 06:22 PM.

OK Richard... in your minutiae response... you missed this part of what I had posted... "[[from behind my mask)"

You need to live life a little bit and lift up your mask when you post so you are not so muffled,I hope you are not wearing one of those underwear company masks.

Do you think they are made out of recycled underwear ? That is what we are reduced to,or some anyways,wearing our underwear on our face.

And soon it will be demanded that it is your civic duty to wear your underwear on your face,maybe not as bad as wearing your pants below your underwear.

It could be worse,we could have been born earlier and be sitting in a cellar 1943 Hamburg watching the city burn to the ground around us,hell 4 years ago you guys had us in WW3 where hundreds of millions would have been dead,all things considered we are doing pretty good in our first world cocoons.

Considering what the generations before us had to endure and what others less fortunate are experiencing,we will survive this just as we always have.
    Last edited by Richard; November-11-20 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Tom Izzo, renowned MSU basketball coach, has become the latest Michigan celebrity to test positive. To his credit he has been a big advocate of mask wearing as you have likely seen in commercials he appeared in.
    Which is exactly the point. They don't do anything. Well, except make money for whoever is making and selling them.

There is no point to them to non-lemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Which is exactly the point. They don't do anything. Well, except make money for whoever is making and selling them.

There is no point to them to non-lemmings.
    Do you think any treatment or preventative measures in medicine have a 100% effectiveness? The answer is obviously no, which include masks, meaning you can do everything right and still contract the disease. Doesn't mean your preventative measures didn't reduce your likelihood, it just doesn't reduce it to zero.

Your comment is extremely ignorant and spreads false information, but I suppose everyone on the internet is an expert right?

Precisely! If masks were totally useless they'd not be used in the hospital. Germs, bacterial infections, and viruses were real pre-COVID 19.

I underwent surgery twice in 2019, pre-COVID, and in both cases I'm sure my surgeons were masked, gloved, the operating room sterile as best it could be, and the areas of surgery anti-bacteria solution swabbed and prepped.

Wound infection was a major killer before these basic measures we now take for granted were instituted. Penicillin and other measures have saved millions.

So yeah, I don a mask to reduce my risk. Withstanding the 'poli-tricks'.

Yet I know that is it double-factor proposition. People encountering each other need to be masked. Thus, I don't wear one alone in my car or at home.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Do you think any treatment or preventative measures in medicine have a 100% effectiveness? The answer is obviously no, which include masks...?
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-11-20 at 07:54 AM.

A friend always wore a mask and he died anyway. His glasses steamed up and he walked out in front of a moving bus.

I don't trust a thing Richard says. It's like he comes here to spread disinformation.
    This time Meddle is wrong too.

The CDC: Mask-wearing Protects You, Not Just Those Around You
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11...idelines-masks

I have two dear friends who lost a parent to COVID and 5 more who were hospitalized, one who is a long-hauler and feels tingling and numbness in her toes and fingers on one side of her body.

If only the decisions of fools only affected fools.

Yep. I tune out [[and not a big fan of the NYT - though I subscribe to know what view is being proffered), but what I don't care for is the 'stares' I sometimes get when I take my mask off as I am walking to my car. I am outside... opening my car door to get in. I guess I'm not setting a good 'example' not wearing a mask my every second and moment alone.

I don't wear one if I am walking, cycling alone either. I have it right on my wrist ready to use should I encounter someone. Your oxygen intake is indeed reduced somewhat [[I tested my oxy saturation wearing vs not wearing with one of those oxygen finger monitors - mine goes down about 2% - 3%). And the saturation decrease depends on the mask. As does the protection.

Eh... don't tell anyone, but I did not wear one on as I sat on a park bench with a friend at Belle Isle yesterday. I guess we're both in trouble!

Heck! As hard as that wind was blowing yesterday NO C-19 droplets or vapors could have survive!

I will ask one of the politicians [[incoming and going) to verify!
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-11-20 at 08:58 AM.

I try to follow the scientific guidance to determine when masks are important and when they are not. When I'm not around people sometimes it's great to breathe fresh air outside unimpeded by one. I live close to some big public hospitals though, there are medical professionals everywhere. Around here it almost never happens you see someone without one on. [[Once in a hardware store a worker asked a customer to put one on and she refused because she said she was an evangelical and therefore already protected.)

Yesterday an older woman got into a small elevator with me sans mask. That was irresponsible, for both of us. I was nice to her anyway. Whether I am depends on my mood and whether I think they're making some dumb political statement. And I have a soft spot for our elders.

A few times I've said the virus is not a "hoax." Including once when I still had the visitor's sticker on my shirt from the hospital I had just left. A couple minutes later I saw her again and she was wearing one. That was in a store too. I have less patience for people who refuse to wear one when they are putting low wage workers just trying to earn a living at greater risk. How selfish.
    Last edited by bust; November-11-20 at 10:42 AM.

Page 22 of 75 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 72 ... LastLast