Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 61 of 75 FirstFirst ... 11 51 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1873

My daughter works in a medical clinic. Today, most of the nurses and assistants did not make it to work. Only one nurse showed up and she was trying to do the work of the other nurse so patient schedules got behind schedule and they were unhappy about that. The reason: So many bus drivers had called in sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    CDC is reporting increasing pediatric COVID hospitalizations, but critical to break numbers down. Between our 2 pediatric hospitals in SF and Oakland, 30% of COVID+ hospitalizations are for COVID illness, and 70% are incidental. 6 kids hospitalized b/c of COVID today at UCSF.
    — Dr. Jeanne Noble [[@JeanneNoble18) January 8, 2022

Also, on Sunday [1/8/'22 ?] CDC Director Rochelle Wallensky said the agency will release the distinction between those who died from COVID and those who died with COVID.

She also said that about 35% of people in the hospital with Covid are there for other reasons, and the covid is incidental.

And admits that over 75% of Covid deaths had at least 4 pathological conditions [comorbidities], and since the total death rate is 0.27% this means healthy people have a 0.0% death risk.

So it looks like we may get some real data for the first time ?

Well I'll be damned, Uncle Joe DID find a way to bring the Covid death numbers down!

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    My daughter works in a medical clinic. Today, most of the nurses and assistants did not make it to work. Only one nurse showed up and she was trying to do the work of the other nurse so patient schedules got behind schedule and they were unhappy about that. The reason: So many bus drivers had called in sick.
    Ugh !

Besides the buss driver issue, WHY do our nurses have to ride a bus? They SHOULD be able to afford nice cars.

I know some very dedicated and very skilled nurses, and they deal with stuff that would make any of us puke. Like little babies with their chests held open after surgery and 20 tubes coming out of them. The parents being disruptive and irrational. And these nurses are there keeping this baby alive for 12 hours at a crack, 3 days in a row.

And for what? $35k a year?

I knew some nurses 15 years ago that were making $75k. What happened?

The worst offenders seem to be the hospitals owned by Tenet Healthcare. [DMC, Children's, etc]. They not only way under-pay, but they also intentionally under staff. To the point that the nurses they DO have are quitting their jobs to keep from loosing their licenses, because if you have 2-3x the number of patients you're supposed to have, things will get missed, patients will die, and you'll loose your nursing cert.

I'm so thankful I've not had to go into a hospital in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Besides the buss driver issue, WHY do our nurses have to ride a bus? They SHOULD be able to afford nice cars.
    Maybe they can and choose not to? Only in Detroit is it assumed public transit is for those who can't afford a car.

Umm, that sorta IS how it is in the D! If you can avoid public transpo many people do! Especially when the weather drops this low.

An 'adequate' car is undoubtedly the better situation over relying on our bus systems [I grew up riding them and watched the decline]. I strive to keep a working, well-running, car under me to avoid the hassle - worse now with C-19 and lack of buses and limited routes! You must build in at least two hours into your day to just get across town per most routes now!

I am thankful to have the driving option rather than not.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    ...Only in Detroit is it assumed public transit is for those who can't afford a car.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-22 at 06:28 AM.

Yep. And you don't have to be a rabid anti-vaxxer or COVID denier to acknowledge that there were shannigans put forth in some of the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well I'll be damned, Uncle Joe DID find a way to bring the Covid death numbers down!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-10-22 at 09:43 PM.

The advantage she has is that the vaccines do tend to lessen the pathogenic track that was original found [hence the original high death counts] in those contracting the virus. Especially in individuals who are older and/ or those with comorbidities in many cases.

These factors are starting to emerge from the dark, conspiracy laden corners of social media to mainstream news. Increasingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-22 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I think more of what you hear about is indicative of local,I remember nursing shortages going back into the 70s.

Sunday morning my ticker decided it needed another stent,friend drove me to emergency.

Arrived like 10:30 ish got to go to the head of the line into a non existent line,because I was the only one there.

Brought into trauma center that had 14 beds,there was only me and 1 other person.

From there to ICU another 18 beds of which was 3/4 was empty,couple of hours later in for the procedure.

I got tested for the first time sense all of this started,sense I have been scurrying about maskless for the last 2 years I was kinda curious as to the results,which were negative.

Hospital was fully staffed,if I was 30 years younger I would have been in dating heaven.

There was a few occupied beds in hallways but not unlike the last time I was there in Jan 2020 before this all started.

I asked one of the nurses if they had taken advantage of the roaming nurse program,she said it was $1000 per shift but even at that it was not worth it because you had to figure in supporting two bases of operations,and they could make that much with overtime without even traveling to another city.

They did have a separate Covid ward,kind of a hospital within a hospital and I am not sure what was going on behind those doors,considering it was a unit within it would seem like it would have been easy to be overwhelmed,but it’s not like there was a lot of extra empty beds where it could have been expanded.

The staff wore masks even though they knew it was pointless and had no argument when it came to that,I was not required to wear a mask unless being transported.

Their frustration towards Covid was not based on Covid itself but the drama surrounding it.

Before all of this and according to the news,the place should have been packed and overflowing into the street with Covid patients,which was not even close to the case.

This was the #1 trauma center in the region of 3 million were they have 3 helicopters sitting on standby and they were not even at 60% capacity.

I did learn something else new though,you can buy meds at cost through them,one prescription that I was quoted over a $1780 per refill everywhere else,was $24.59 cash.

So I do not know who to believe,outside of personal experience which tells me,the media is full of crap,the local corner pharmacy is making some serious profit and I guess it is time to quit smoking,the last stent was 83,000 now this one with inflation is probably going to be over $100k which is kinda interesting sense it was $16.50 for my first child to be born C-section in military care back in 1980.

Thats the scam,it’s cheap to come into the world but once you are here,they got ya.
    Last edited by Richard; January-12-22 at 01:12 AM.

Well Richard... hope you are OK...

Just read this... it does sound like doom and gloom... hope this is just a sensational headline...
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...hRX4_GNIKScSDc

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well Richard... hope you are OK...

Just read this... it does sound like doom and gloom... hope this is just a sensational headline...
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...hRX4_GNIKScSDc

I liked the pop-up poll when I clicked on it, asking me what more did I want to see in MSN headlines. If Omicron does displace Delta and isn't as dangerous, sounds like Europe is on it's way to recovery. This week we learned that Covid "death numbers" were likely exaggerated or false, so who knows what the truth really is. Richard, I enjoyed your eye witness report, keep them coming. Hope everything is good now with the ticker.

Amazing to me, how almost overnight the mantra has shifted. Now it's changed to live with the virus and its consequences instead of eradicating it.

Richard, I'm glad you have a good friend who was able to
    take you to ER. I'm glad you decided to go! Hope your
    heart surgery goes well. There was a hint in a recent
    post - you referred to expired nitroglycerin tabs. Please
    keep this med on you at all times. Maybe wear
    both a scapular and a necklace with a little locket with
    nitroglycerin tabs if you are of the Catholic faith.

I'm sitting in a control room right now watching several
    screens and typing away. Sitting. Sitting.
    Wearing out the chair. Someone annoying
    and sanctimonious [and completely correct]
    opined: "Sitting Is The New Smoking".

Unless you have COVID-19 or some other condition,
    please check with your care providers to see if that's
    the case, exercise is the best control for your blood
    sugar. Exercise mops up blood sugar from your system.
    However rest completely if you are infected with
    COVID-19 until it clears. Exercise is a helpful component
    of a stop smoking program too but not the only one.

Research these natural compounds: oleuropein [olive
    leaves] and oleocanthal [extra virgin olive oil, preferably
    from California where there are standards for it].
    Consider buckwheat, hill rice, legumes, garlic.
    Page through a Richters [in Canada] catalog
    [catalogue] for seeds and teas that might be
    helpful, though check with your pharmacist
    if you decide to use any pharmacologically
    active seeds or teas.

If your ER team advises it, you should be
    vaccinated against SARS-COV-2.

This is a very long post but I hope something in it
    is helpful for you.

Please take care and get well!
    Last edited by Dumpling; January-12-22 at 11:00 AM.

Yep. Depending on who you followed [and no I don't mean the usual ascribed suspects on subject] the 'living' with it factor has been presented, increasingly. Especially related to the Omicron variant [withstanding if you pro or not re. the current vaccines].

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Amazing to me, how almost overnight the mantra has shifted. Now it's changed to live with the virus and its consequences instead of eradicating it.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I am shocked that you are ‘amazed.’

The sheer amount of apathy to the death toll of Americans because of this virus has absolutely required a change in a defensive strategy. There has been zero will in a large chunk of the populace in controlling the spread from the get go. As time has marched on it has only become worse. If many don’t care who it makes gravely ill as long as it’s not them how would eradication ever work?

You can have my mask when you can pry it from my cold, dead face.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I am shocked that you are ‘amazed.’

The sheer amount of apathy to the death toll of Americans because of this virus has absolutely required a change in a defensive strategy. There has been zero will in a large chunk of the populace in controlling the spread from the get go. As time has marched on it has only become worse. If many don’t care who it makes gravely ill as long as it’s not them how would eradication ever work?
    Well stated. I see less people wearing masks in public despite the recent super spikes. More are sick [[albeit less severe). There are constant changes and confusion in policies/rules/recommendations, whether it be public, work, or school. No consensus on anything. Not much of a surprise that many are jaded at this point.

^^^ Add to that our southern borders REMAIN held open:

Withstanding the current spiking increase in infections, strained resources in general, shortages of medical staff, more being hospitalized, the severe national shortage of COVID tests, vaccine backlogs, the increase cost and challenges in finding appropriate PPE, college and K12 schools going virtual, etc., ETC.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-12-22 at 03:19 PM.

Politics and hypocrisies withstanding, I've worn masks since the beginning of the pandemic [well before they were suggested, and mandated as cases rose]. To that end I've changed the mask type worn when indoors, at stores, etc [I've never worn masks outdoors in small crowds, or alone, or when driving].

I've long tossed cloth. Found this article on the comparison of masks more effective in protection [especially re. the smaller airborne particulate Omicron]:

What’s the Difference Between KN95 and KF94 Masks?

https://nymag.com/strategist/article...5BjvxcdyUirxWA
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-12-22 at 03:32 PM.

Good resource for long-standing brand PPE items:

https://shop.projectn95.org/all

CDC comparison chart on effectiveness of varied types/ brands:

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/PPEInfo/RG/Face...LeJVkdSHAYxiQc
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-12-22 at 03:31 PM.

Zacha341, I know you have repeated several times about your concern for unvaccinated illegals coming in from Mexico, but if you do some fact checking, you will find that the Fox News mantra about them is a fallacy,..

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/10/polit...eck/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...rants-rcna1656

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/09/10262...say-its-not-tr

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...lt-immigrants/

https://apnews.com/article/public-he...7c0e6e57bcfae1

https://www.capradio.org/articles/20...uthern-border/

I know that you try to keep an open mind about things... but don't do it at the cost of tasting at least some of the Carlson-Hannity-Ingraham Kool-Aid...

Zacha's mask info was interesting. Right now I'm wearing
    an N-95 solely because my sister bought a few for me.
    Otherwise I think I would be wearing a cloth mask over
    a COUNTERFEIT KN-95 so if anyone knows about test
    results for known counterfeit masks that would be helpful
    as well.
    Usually test results are given for KNOWN GOOD
    KN-95s along with hints to try to ferret out counterfeits
    without going into how the counterfeits compare.

^ You should probably add airtight goggles to the mask.

And you want to avoid talking, because that will cause your mask to shift, and then you'll touch it with your hands to adjust it.

Important to wear the goggles, use new mask every 2 hours, and sanitize your hands before and after touching your mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    Zacha's mask info was interesting. Right now I'm wearing
    an N-95 solely because my sister bought a few for me.
    Otherwise I think I would be wearing a cloth mask over
    a COUNTERFEIT KN-95 so if anyone knows about test
    results for known counterfeit masks that would be helpful
    as well.
    Usually test results are given for KNOWN GOOD
    KN-95s along with hints to try to ferret out counterfeits
    without going into how the counterfeits compare.
    CBC had an interesting segment a week ago about counterfeits. They bought KN & K95's from major big box stores such as Home Depot, Walmart along with Amazon and Canadian Drug chains. Almost all were fake and quite useless - blocking only about 35-55% of particles when they were sent for testing at the Univ. of Toronto. Most were from China. There are good and bad ones in China but the big box stores accepted no responsibility for sourcing them properly. The obvious way to spot a fake is if it doesn't have the company and/or country of origin on either the mask or box they come in. Also, some stated "FDA Approved" on the package. FDA does not approve any products like masks for retail sale.
    Last edited by 401don; January-12-22 at 04:18 PM.

401don, thank you for the counterfeit mask info!

Yes! I purchased a few of those cheaply stamped crappola-masks. Threw 'em out - contacted and negatively reviewed the seller[s]... eBay is the worst. Now every clod is 'suddenly' a mask merchant. Rubbish!

I'm reading that interestingly the ones from Korea are best. Add to that the prices have doubled. As I've friends and family in other parts of the country I've made it my mission to search out the best. Still working on it. The best ones are high in cost. You can simply use an exacto knife, cut and peel back to see if the layers are ample, or even present. It's crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    CBC had an interesting segment a week ago about counterfeits. They bought KN & K95's from major big box stores such as Home Depot, Walmart along with Amazon and Canadian Drug chains. Almost all were fake and quite useless

...The obvious way to spot a fake is if it doesn't have the company and/or country of origin on either the mask or box they come in. Also, some stated "FDA Approved" on the package. FDA does not approve any products like masks for retail sale.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-12-22 at 05:40 PM.

Page 61 of 75 FirstFirst ... 11 51 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 71 ... LastLast