Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Certain areas of Detroit will be the biggest winners in the years to come. Evidence points to Generation Z's desire to move back into dense, walk-able, urban areas even more so than Millennials.
    Totally agree. This is the trend everywhere in the world other than Detroit, unit recently. It’s about time Detroit fell back in line.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Would you rather your tomatoes or corn come from a big box store or from Greenhouse Gardens, Village Market, or Nino Salvaggio's?
    Your answer will indicate whether you've been to a local alternative.
    Obviously my produce needs are best met at Ninos. Those of us with 3 kids and middle of the road incomes simply aren’t doing all of our shopping there.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    Allen Park is approximately the same driving time to Downtown as Ferndale and GPP. GPP is geographically closer but it’s further from freeways.
    My uncle lives in Grosse Pointe Farms and works downtown. He never takes I94, he drives either Mack or Jefferson. Average commute is around 15-20 minutes going in, a bit more coming back.

I would say if you're not going down the Woodwsrd Corridor suburbs then the Michigan Ave communities would be best as far as increasing value. Dearborn for example:
    - Is trying to make the city more walkable by really taking advantage of the older buildings on Michigan Ave.
    - Very diverse
    - Shopping both on Warren, Ford and Michigan and Fairlane Mall
    -Close proximity to Detroit, Ann Arbor and the Train Station
    -Ford is going to connect the Old HQ and the Old Train Station in Corktown somehow
    - Assuming the RTA is passed this year there could be a some kind of rapid transit between City, AA and the Airport. I know the previous proposal included a rail to and fro. Ann Arbor with a stop in Dearborn. [[granted this could happen on Jefferson to the pointed as well.

Another +1 to the Pointes. We moved to the Park from Seattle in 2017. For us, the fact that there *aren't* big box stores five minutes from away is a huge selling point. They're ugly and don't provide an interesting streetscape. If I want toilet paper, wiper blades, artificial flowers, and a bag of onions all at once, I get on Amazon. That shit comes right to my door for me. Shocking. We're on Balfour - pretty close to the border - and we can take Jefferson downtown in 10-15 minutes. I love that 313wx used the term 'plan' a trip downtown. So out of touch. We don't plan any goings to downtown any more than we plan going to trader joes for some cheap and entirely mediocre wine. We get in an uber and go. Maybe make a reservation if we're on the ball. Usually we're not.

Our home is beautiful. GP has some of the best housing stock of any suburb. Public schools are some of the best in the state. Yes, we take it up the ass in taxes. But when it snows and the city plows our sidewalks for us, and when I head on down to windmill pointe, I ease into it. All those who live in Bham and A2 take it up the ass too. Any time you have high home values combined with city amenities, you get high taxes.

This is just a hunch, but I have a feeling GP has the most to gain as downtown revives. But who the hell knows.

Our neighbors are awesome. The block we're on has nearly entirely turned over the past four years, so we're almost all new here and have bonded well. Block parties. Hiding from teenage children behind the garage to smoke weed. We're in the process of building a block float for the GP Pride parade in June. They're all pretty damn fine people.

Anyway. I like living here. Much much more than I thought I would. Best of luck in your search

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yeah, that was close. My brother lived at 19940 Prevost. We chuckled at how we ended up with the same house number on different streets!

Yes, that is quite a happy coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberM View Post
    Fascinating. Where's everyone moving? Mostly out of state? Colorado, Seattle, California, Florida, Texas?
    ... or GP Shores, Farms, Woods, City.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    This is the real deal breaker for me and ultimately locating in Oakland county. Closest big box shopping for GP is Meijer on Little Mack.
    Which is incredibly easy to get to. 10-15 minutes max on I-94. One [[well two) stop lights after the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Here's my problem with the Grosse Pointes:

1. It's far away from all of the good shopping and restaurants.

If I were in the OP's position, it would be nice to have a plethora of options for going out to eat within the immediate area without having to plan a trip downtown.

As far as shopping, other than the basic big box stores in Roseville, you would have to go all the way to Hall Road [[at least) if you want to go shopping at any trendy places.

2. The taxes are ridiculously high.

Since it is an older established suburb with a ton of legacy costs, and it's not seeing any growth, they're soaking property owners for the expenses to pay for their amenities.

3. It's far away from most of the job centers.

It's nice if you work downtown now, but what if that job is eliminated or you want a better job? Dearborn, Southfield, Troy and Auburn Hills are all out of the question from a commuting standpoint [[unless you want to spend 1+ hours in the car every day).

As far as livability and location, the only perk GP has over other suburbs is its proximity to the water, IMO.
    The Grosse Pointes have their own restaurant scene. They have plenty of mom-and-pop retail and restaurants in the 3 business districts along Kercheval as well as Mack Avenue. Also, downtown is emerging as a shopping destination with stores like H&M, Bonobos, G-Star Raw, John Varvatos, and the M-Den Victors Collection.

Getting to downtown is see, and parking is plentiful, as 1/2 of downtown's real estate is dedicated to car storage.

The Grosse Pointes are also close to Warren, which is another major jobs center.

Quote Originally Posted by gpp1004 View Post
    Another +1 to the Pointes. ...

Our home is beautiful. GP has some of the best housing stock of any suburb. Public schools are some of the best in the state. Yes, we take it up the ass in taxes. But when it snows and the city plows our sidewalks for us, and when I head on down to windmill pointe, I ease into it. All those who live in Bham and A2 take it up the ass too. Any time you have high home values combined with city amenities, you get high taxes.
    in a value for money context, I really don't see how you beat the Pointes. In return for those high taxes [[and in addition to an insane level of city services), in GPP you get a private residents only first run movie theater, gym, marina, and two great private lakefront parks. All of the GPs have some version of residents only lakefront park/marina/community center that are all pretty great. Add in CCD, Lochmoor, GPYC, GPC and Crescent and you're in a place with public and private quality of life amenities that don't exist in many places.
    Yeah, you need to drive to the mall or big box stores... but most people living in the GP count that in the "pro" column.
    Anyway. I like living here. Much much more than I thought I would. Best of luck in your search
    By far the most common sentiment I hear from transplants and returners who grew up in the pointes.

I would say that Grosse Pointe Park would be a nice play to buy a house eventhough there are many renters on the first 3 streets. The area is only 15 to 20 minutes away from downtown Detroit and the city's commercial district had made a comeback with the restaurants that had opened there within the past few years

I doubt the "whole block" moved a few miles away. I'd guess it's retirees, most seem to move to Florida or Arizona, and gen X professionals who job hopped out-of-state.
    Actually, one family moved from the Farms [[downsizing), one from the Woods [[upsizing), and two moved within the Park [[houses had pools). There's us from Seattle, a family from Portland, one from Chicago, another form upstate New York. A young couple from London, and a family from Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The Grosse Pointes have their own restaurant scene. They have plenty of mom-and-pop retail and restaurants in the 3 business districts along Kercheval as well as Mack Avenue. Also, downtown is emerging as a shopping destination with stores like H&M, Bonobos, G-Star Raw, John Varvatos, and the M-Den Victors Collection.

Getting to downtown is see, and parking is plentiful, as 1/2 of downtown's real estate is dedicated to car storage.

The Grosse Pointes are also close to Warren, which is another major jobs center.
    i find it so interesting, and great ,that many on here keep referring to quick suburban access to downtown as being a great asset. I realize the thread is about buying in a good suburban location, but I have to smile a bit, here in our Lafayette Park / Downtown neighborhood, most of us just walk 5 minutes to get to all of these attractions mentioned, as well as walk 5 minutes to work, as well as the riverfront, pro sports, theater, dequindre cut and eastern market. Great exercise, as well as walk to a real nice YMCA on broadway. We dont even start our cars for days often
    There are people of every type and age you can think of, and interestingly many young families, Some move as the kids get older, some stay. Lots of singles, empty nesters and couples too. Many say when they calculate the savings on gas, wear and tear, and valuable extra non commuting time, the higher insurance etc, even out.. Its good to see many choosing the city, as well as the many great suburban areas to live, we are all lucky to have lots of options depending on our needs and preference in Metro Detroit. Many other cities don't have as big of a choice.

"Whole block" sounded like more than 4. And interesting all 4 merely moved elsewhere in town; seems you would have noted that in original comment, since it bolsters point about the Pointes being desirable. The handful of gen Xers we know who left the Pointes loved it, but left for higher paying jobs in Denver, Seattle and Atlanta. And another family moved to Ann Arbor and dad commutes to same job in Dearborn.
    Huh?

You need to reread, darlin. I never said whole block. And I count more than a four home turnover.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter. I posted a personal anecdote about living here. If you dont buy it, then don’t. It’s not a debate about turnover.

It has been a long time 2 years to be exact since I posted on here. I was looking for an old friend I grew up with [[female) that I knew when I lived in Detroit way back in the day. Thanx to some of the input & tips from some of you I found her living in Macomb County married 2 kids 2 grandkids we got together for brunch & have kept in touch for the past year.Once again thank you all! I did want to respond to this question of where to buy a house to live long term. Quick personal history born & lived in Detroit for 13 years family moved to Warren where I lived till I got married with brief stints in Roseville & Sterling Heights. Have been living in Royal Oak since 1987 first in a starter home then in a new home that my ex-wife found that I live in to today. from my experience having lived in Royal Oak for 33 years I will say this. Very nice area we raised two kids safe environment but the taxes are extremely high for the type of service you don't get what I mean is the city of R.O. doesn't give a damn about the residents and only cares about the money coming in Over the 33yrs there have been nickel and dime issues but my opinion of this city was cemented in August 2014 when the city's sewer system failed and dumped 5 feet of water into my basement the city response was a snotty letter from the legal department basically saying shit happens while myself and my two daughters lost almost all of our personal possessions not to mention but I will the furnace hot water tank washer & dryer I got a little chunk of change from FEMA but had to clean up & pay for all replacements myself while the city took a powder singing we don't care.Also for those of you sayin what about insurance my homeowners at the time did'nt cover it have since put in an additional clause. So I guess what i'm sayin is if you you want to to pay high taxes just for the zip code without gettin zip from the city Royal Oak is your place. Oh one more thing for all of you thinking Dude just move I am retired got my house paid & I am just playing playing out the string. Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!

GP is really really lovely but if you look at its peer Shaker Heights outside of Cleveland, it's in the same boat: well managed, still pretty desirable, but never going to see any real estate boom or throwback to glory years. Not when almost all of the rich gen Y and Zs born there flee their respective states. 2000 and 2010 censuses proved this and 2020 will be more of the same. Schools closing. South high isn't even top 20 in the state for SAT scores. I just don't see a super sunny outlook. Where does the big demand [[for real estate pop) come from if most of the region's rich youth keep moving away?

My 2cents for durability and predictability Birmingham and Ann Arbor. I think the state is more stratified than ever, the tippy top zip codes hoard more and more of the wealth, as the low and middle income places all seem to get worse, with old housing stock, mediocre public schools, and suffocating legacy costs.
    Oh hell. I thought we got rid of Bham1982

She started this off wanting a suburb with a good opportunity for upside close to downtown, and steered the conversation back to Birmingham and Ann Arbor. Lol. Nice places, and you won't lose money in either of them [[well, except for interest and opportunity cost), but good luck with that mortgage and commute, and you'll need to settle for much less.
    Last edited by bust; February-13-20 at 12:52 PM.

Oh hell. I thought we got rid of Bham1982
    I was thinking "Oh great a female 313WX"

Restaurants are terrible in GP. I cant figure out why. Just remnants of longstanding stale eastside creativity....
    You couldn't pay me to live in Troy or Novi, having to cross 16 lanes of road to get anywhere, no thanks. Wyandotte is interesting.

Every year someone asks about what places are good to move to... and every year we have this same real estate "food fight" over which location is best, and every year we end up with the same responses that totally muddle the OPs question. We need to start assembling a bookmark of threads that nearly breaks out into a brawl of comments... to save everyone time and energy.

I've been on this forum for 20 years... and I'm sure there are about a dozen threads that answer with the same set of replies. It's just that the forum headings vary, and finding them is a challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Restaurants are terrible in GP. I cant figure out why. Just remnants of longstanding stale eastside creativity....
    You couldn't pay me to live in Troy or Novi, having to cross 16 lanes of road to get anywhere, no thanks. Wyandotte is interesting.
    Wyandotte could almost literally be downriver's Grosse Pointe Park. With a bit of a different street grid. "Longstanding stale eastside creativity" what the fuck are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Every year someone asks about what places are good to move to... and every year we have this same real estate "food fight" over which location is best, and every year we end up with the same responses that totally muddle the OPs question. We need to start assembling a bookmark of threads that nearly breaks out into a brawl of comments... to save everyone time and energy.

I've been on this forum for 20 years... and I'm sure there are about a dozen threads that answer with the same set of replies. It's just that the forum headings vary, and finding them is a challenge...
    And is it just me [[I'm guilty of contributing to the discussion), but does there seem to be some bizarre agendas with some of the posts. Vitriol against one place or another in the same Metro Detroit region. It's a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    And is it just me [[I'm guilty of contributing to the discussion), but does there seem to be some bizarre agendas with some of the posts. Vitriol against one place or another in the same Metro Detroit region. It's a bit odd.
    There's a difference between praising an area that you're familiar with and bashing an area that you don't know jack shit about. You're guilty of nothing

Big Dick Syndrome is something fierce among some Metro Detroiters.

Oh-but for sure-GPs restaurants are by and large pretty lousy. I think most of my fellow GPers would agree. Good thing Marrow and Craftwork, and some amazing other Detroit restaurants are just down the road.
    Last edited by gpp1004; February-13-20 at 02:47 PM.

the Pointes, Birmingham... Certainly... Clarkston and Oakland Township,
    over Milford, and boomed in and around Brighton.
    It's a natural process called self-identification.

There's a difference between praising an area that you're familiar with and bashing an area that you don't know jack shit about. You're guilty of nothing

Big Dick Syndrome is something fierce among some Metro Detroiters.

Oh-but for sure-GPs restaurants are by and large pretty lousy. I think most of my fellow GPers would agree. Good thing Marrow and Craftwork, and some amazing other Detroit restaurants are just down the road.
    Haha! - thank you - and please notice I didn't try to defend against the poster's restaurant comment - I kind of agree on that in the GPs, and that a big part of the reason is that Detroit's finer places to eat aren't that far away.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast