Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
It doesn't surprise me. There's too many trees and shady people hanging around Cass Park. I get a bad feeling like I'm gonna get mugged myself when I walk through there. The park needs to be clear cut so other peope can see what's happening around there.
Lower Cass could use a lot of improvements, and you're right about the leering atmosphere throughout the area, but your solution is not a good one. Clear cutting the park would destroy a load of old, shade-giving trees in a beautiful park, an important asset when considering a neighborhood's future viability. First thing that needs to be done is build a larger shelter for the homeless up on MLK, get them off the streets. And the relatively cheap things can help a lot, like make some efforts to clean the area up a bit -- new streetscaping, bike lanes, trash pickup, graffiti removal plans, more garbage cans around so people throw their trash in the cans and not on the street. Then get on the Illitches & Kellifanos to spruce up their properties. Course that's not everything, and will not convince people to move there immediately, but it will improve its perception to visitors and locals & will be a small part in improving the situation there.