But I'm curious. Really.

Graduated from Mackenzie HS in 1954. Went to Wayne State from 1954 to 1955. Ran out of money. During the summer of 1955, applied for a position in the Detroit Police Department, was hired, and damn. Spent the next 30 years there retiring as Detective Sergeant, never really went back to school 'cept for a few courses here 'n there.

But recently, I've been searching for obits of old classmates from Mackenzie and WSU. Found quite a few, many with academic accomplishments. But what has always puzzled me in the world of higher academia.........is........this.

Every one I've looked up who went to higher things has a Bachelor's degree from some local university; a Master's degree from some second [[and oft, far-away) university, and a few with a PhD from yet a third pinnacle of learning.

What puzzles me, is why in the heck don't folks stay at the first college for their advancement?? Wouldn't they know the area, the people, the instructors, and the facilities enough to want to stay there.............comfortably? Just changing to somewhere else means a complete change of location, people, culture [[?), and state laws, just to mention a few thoughts that come to mind.

So, shoot away, DetroitYES'ers. Enlighten me. WTF do these scholars jump all over the map for???? Really!