The Lions' latest embarrassing season has me revisiting the strange relationship between Russ Thomas and owner William Clay Ford. Thomas was GM and personnel director from 1967 to 1988, and in those 22 years the Lions had just 6 winning seasons and never won a playoff game. He was responsible for Joe Schmidt, the only real head coach the Lions have had in the last few decades [[as far as I'm concerned), leaving in frustration.

Why wasn't Thomas---who actually was an All-Pro tackle and team captain when he played for the Lions in the late '40s---fired? The theory has always been that Thomas helped Ford kick alcoholism and an addiction to pain-killers. Ford thus was loyal to the detriment of the franchise.

But I once heard from an old-time labor official---a local Democrat---that the reason for Ford's loyalty was more sinister. According to this old-timer, who has since passed, Thomas helped cover up an auto accident involving Ford in which another person was killed. It wasn't clear if the owner was driving [[drunk or otherwise) and exactly how he was involved.

The guy who told me this story wasn't a sports fan, and he didn't seem to have any particular vendetta against Ford or Thomas. And it was all second-hand, though he wasn't really a gossip-mongering type. In fact, we weren't even talking about sports when he offered the info. It was just along the lines of "Oh, by the way....."

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else out there has any theories, insights, or solid info re the Thomas-Ford relationship.

Personally, I'm more inclined to believe Thomas helped Ford beat some kind of addiction [[probably alcohol), and that Ford---a rich fellow who regarded the Lions more as a plaything than anything else---simply appreciated Big Russ's help and remained a steadfast friend despite constant public criticism of his job performance. It's what pals do, I guess. Even if generations of football fans in this town have to suffer for it.