Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Nice to see those empty lots filling in, but those homes look like long term maintenance nightmares. Peaked metal roof with no overhangs means water runs right down the side and around [[And eventually into) the window openings. The gutter chains are a nice touch, and as they're just feet from the sidewalk I'm sure they'll be incredibly popular with the athletically inclined neighborhood kids.
    The fawn colored one is interesting,above the porch,the main roof looks like it has a built in gutter,directs the flow along the left wall of the second story and dumps it out left side of the porch.

They have chains coming from the down spouts to the ground to break the water flow but it still looks like it is splashing up against the foundation,yea unless they put some kind of French drains in there that is a lot of water to be dumping right at the foundation.

Down here we use metal roofs a lot they last 50 years verses the 15 years with shingles,they do reflect heat and tree branches in storms and are pretty much maintenance free.

Those look like standing seam roofs where the screws are hidden under the seams,I am not sure how they would stand up with freeze thaw cycles and unless they wired heaters ice dams.

You can see the green insulation board by the windows like they are going to infill with another building material.

I can see low maintenance with the metal roofs and fiberglass “cedar” shingles but agree there could be some serious unseen until it is to late,water penetration issues.

By me there was a two story duplex that was built in the 80s that just collapsed.Water penetrated around the second level windows ran down the inside of the siding and settled and rotted the sill between the first and second story.

The outer walls just fell out from under the second story.

If those are selling 1 bedroom $500k it looks like a good market for 1920s style stick frame bungalows 3 bedroom in the $150 to $180k range.
    Last edited by Richard; December-06-19 at 09:44 AM.