Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sad thing is that Eminem's movie 8 MILE is about the divide that separates the city from the suburbs.... and some posters here like to throw fuel onto the fire of that divide.

When Eminem had his World Premier of that movie, where did he have it? ...Detroit!

Where was it filmed?.... Detrroit!

So he doesn't live in Detroit... big deal! He spent most of his life living in Detroit's suburbs.

Aretha Franklin doesn't live in Detroit proper either. So what?

At least they're still in Metro Detroit!

If you want to complain... complain about Madonna, Berry Gordy, Diana Ross, etc... who have all left the area long ago and hardly been back...

This "you don't live in Detroit, so you have nothing to say about Detroit... is a silly and immature viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I doubt the less than 4,000 people who live in Bloomfield Hills, and what they do or do not think, are the biggest problem on the docket right now.
    Oh, so it doesn't matter if suburbanites buy into this regional concept. But if Detroiters don't buy into it then the whole region is doomed. Interesting . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Oh, so it doesn't matter if suburbanites buy into this regional concept. But if Detroiters don't buy into it then the whole region is doomed. Interesting . . .
    Oh no, it matters. But picking on Bloomfield Hills reeks of classism more than anything. The imaginary lines surrounding our 10 square mile fiefdoms aren't doing anybody any favors.

diver1369 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    The Marshall Mathers Foundation helps disadvantaged youth Michigan. It has made donations to food banks and youth groups and participates in fundraisers with organisations such as Eight Mile Boulevard Association.
    Thanks for "wiseing" me up on his foundation. I didn't know it existed.

diver1369 Guest

I tried to do some research on the Marshall Mathers Foundation and have only come up with a reference to their address in Sherman Oaks, CA. I did my search via GuideStar, which researches the efficacy of non-profits and charities.

Here is the 2006 tax return for the foundation [[a public record). The majority of the money was spent on children's projects in Metro Detroit. He and Shady Inc put in about $40k and Nike put in $60k. Other funds were spent in NYC and Coats for Kids headquartered in TX. The CPA is in Sherman Oaks, the books and records of the organization are on Telegraph in Bloomfield Hills.........
    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...03638dfe-F.pdf

Default Shady Inc.

Shady Inc. LOL! I love that name.

diver1369 Guest

Yeah, this link tells me next to nothing about MMF. I checked it out before I went to GuideStar.

diver1369 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Here is the 2006 tax return for the foundation [[a public record). The majority of the money was spent on children's projects in Metro Detroit. He and Shady Inc put in about $40k and Nike put in $60k. Other funds were spent in NYC and Coats for Kids headquartered in TX. The CPA is in Sherman Oaks, the books and records of the organization are on Telegraph in Bloomfield Hills.........
    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...03638dfe-F.pdf
    I wish there were more current info but I'm glad to see that Eminem has his heart in the right place. Hopefully, it is administered effectively. Thanks Room 222 for researching this and bringing us your results.

With all the hate for local celebs, its no wonder Jack White left town...

DetroitDad Guest

Default Regionalism

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    With all the hate for local celebs, its no wonder Jack White left town...
    ...and why the others need security whenever they're in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    How do outer ring suburban residents become spokespersons for the City? As soon as he could afford it, Eminem got clear of the City.
    A large number of young people I have come across outside of Downtown dreamt of being able to leave Detroit, in the past. Nowadays, most of the young people I come across in Detroit and it's suburbs just dream of leaving Michigan. How's that for regionalism?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; April-06-09 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Past tense added.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2