Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
huh?

This is not expensive or complicated. Its replacing existing stalls with full height except for 1/8 inch gap at the top for air circulation.

What you're describing is not a single user, lockable restroom. The expense of converting public restrooms into single user, lockable restrooms would be absolutely enormous! In most buildings it would involve a massive amount of demolition work and moving plumbing that has been planned far in advance and set in concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post

And this is not a problem right now, in sex-specific washrooms?

Really?
Of course it's a problem in sex-specific washrooms, but again with single user restrooms it would be much worse. When I lived in Sarasota, Florida I worked in a warehouse facility that had multiple single user unisex restrooms that were accessed from outside as they were shared by multiple tenants. You needed a key to use them, but the local homeless population somehow found a way around that. Working the night shift I would routinely find the restroom doors locked from the inside for long periods of time with no response from those using them. Finding soiled clothing and drug paraphernalia was a fairly regular occurrence. Since they knew no one could walk in on them, people would also use the sinks to bath and even the floors as beds to escape the weather.

Look, I'm not opposed to unisex bathrooms. When properly designed they can be a godsend to those with opposite sex young children or disabled dependents. That said, the idea that the fix for this issue is to gut, redesign and remodel all public restrooms to accommodate those that refuse to use the facility that aligns with their sex is preposterous.