Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I have a feeling the 375 construction delay had something to do with it. Hopefully with Biden in office we'll see a national push for big infrastructure improvements like this to happen rather than just be studied endlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I have a feeling the 375 construction delay had something to do with it. Hopefully with Biden in office we'll see a national push for big infrastructure improvements like this to happen rather than just be studied endlessly.
    Good point. It would seem like a prudent idea to have the 375 project ‘shovel ready’ ASAP even if the construction funds are not appropriated. If you snooze you lose. That’s what happened last time uncle sugar had bags of money for infrastructure.

The new Bedrock leader just talked about this in a crains article, said "the deck was coming along nicely" in terms of financing, we already know Ross is dumping 100 mil right now. Seems like it's their main focus other than Hudson site.

More meaningless hot air. No details. Nowhere close to being fully funded. It was supposed to break ground Q1 2021. It’s not. Another fake project like the MLS arena district before it on the same land.

University Regents haven't talked about it in a year.
    https://regents.umich.edu/meetings/
    Last edited by motorcity; December-30-20 at 09:26 AM.

^ I just love how you can make personal insults at users in other threads and still be allowed to post here, still allowed to keep trolling.

DYES mods are you serious right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    ^ I just love how you can make personal insults at users in other threads and still be allowed to post here, still allowed to keep trolling.

Just block them, that’s what I did. If they stop getting the response they’re looking for they’ll eventually go away. It’s sad someone can be so miserable that they have nothing better to do than spend so much time on an online forum trolling and insulting people.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post

Stop gaslighting. You're no victim, you're a hostile person. Again, getting me banned from a forum won't improve your lot in life and it won't make fake projects come to fruition. Look, the truth hurts, so you and your few minions [[or your other personalities) are attacking me for merely highlighting how fake these projects are. If you want to see genuine projects without a mile long list of fake excuses, I suggest you use your $600 government check to take a plane to Atlanta or Austin or Nashville.

I'm just gonna keep reporting your posts so please keep the insults and chaos coming. They'll be forced to do something about you eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by JK313 View Post
    Just block them, that’s what I did. If they stop getting the response they’re looking for they’ll eventually go away. It’s sad someone can be so miserable that they have nothing better to do than spend so much time on an online forum trolling and insulting people.
    Ignoring isn't a solution. The forum shouldn't be held hostage by one person who is now personally insulting people openly and brazenly. This person has been banned at least ten times from this site before.

I don't understand what's taking so long this time but he's clearly taking advantage of the delay. Or has this site really become the wild west?

What flacks tell local press means nothing if it can't be verified by University Regents. There's been nothing on the agendas or in the minutes about this project, look for yourself:

https://regents.umich.edu/meetings/

Update time! this article from the beginning of April got overlooked. It focuses on Ross and his partner but it talks a great deal about the Detroit Innovation Center. They're referring to it as the "DCI" now.

As the pair move to ground-up development, the first phase of the U-M/Detroit Center for Innovation [[DCI) will feature a 190,000-square-foot glass-fronted research and graduate education building designed by renowned architectural firm Kohn Pedersen Fox. The space will be designated for U-M students in automotive mobility, artificial intelligence, sustainability, cybersecurity, fintech, and other technology-related fields. Groundbreaking is expected to take place this year and the project should be completed by 2023.

The educational campus at I-375 and Gratiot will be complemented by mid-rise residential buildings for U-M graduate students, a business incubator and accelerator space, and a hotel in the former Detroit Police Headquarters just west of the site.

“Detroit’s a great city and has always been one of the leading cities in this country,” Ross says. “It’s gotten to a place where it’s really in a position to grow, and it needs that next step to create more jobs. What the DCI project will do is attract people to Detroit...

Scott DeRue, the Edward J. Frey Dean at the U-M Ross School of Business, says the university’s commitment to the DCI and to the city of Detroit is unwavering.
    https://www.dbusiness.com/business-f...ross-effect-2/
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; April-20-21 at 07:14 PM.

^^
    Thanks for the heads up.

One item it mentions in that article is that the old Detroit Police HQ at 1300 Beaubien will become a Hotel. I did a Google search, and could not find any other reference to the final fate of that Gilbert property. Awesome!

I like that Detroit has so many historic buildings converted to boutique hotels. Between Aloft [Whitney Building], Shinola [Meyers Building +], Element [Metropolitan Building], the old Police HQ, and also the Park Ave. House as a Hilton... really nice reuse.

I didn't know Ross was Max Fisher's nephew.

Hopefully they can bring something online beyond the DCI in Phase 1. It'll look so odd to just have a single midrise among a grass/surface lot. I imagine the student housing [[along the service drive) component can start later, but finish at the same time 2023.

First and foremost I am glad to hear that there is foreword momentum on this project.

As much as new investment and jobs that come with it are badly needed I often wonder about 1300 Beaubien. It is without doubt an architectural masterpiece that needs to be preserved yet at the same time its place in history is as massive as the building. Would making the old Police HQ in Detroit a boutique hotel serve all the history well? I believe that the very best possible future for this historic property would be a return to the City of Detroit for some kind of civic duty. Obviously a rehabilitation would have to happen just the same as any other use.

Anyone else have thoughts on this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    First and foremost I am glad to hear that there is foreword momentum on this project.

As much as new investment and jobs that come with it are badly needed I often wonder about 1300 Beaubien. It is without doubt an architectural masterpiece that needs to be preserved yet at the same time its place in history is as massive as the building. Would making the old Police HQ in Detroit a boutique hotel serve all the history well? I believe that the very best possible future for this historic property would be a return to the City of Detroit for some kind of civic duty. Obviously a rehabilitation would have to happen just the same as any other use.

I have been able to spend time in the Foundation Hotel, Shinola Hotel, Siren and Metropolitan with my job and I can 100% say that a boutique hotel is the way to go versus a return to the city. Bedrock wont spare any expenses in preserving and honoring the history of the place. I don't see the city committing those resources or caring enough.

^^ I agree Southen... the last thing I want is another opportunity to give it back to the city. They let it deteriorate way longer than they ever should have.

I remember being in there 40 years ago to take my late father to get a gun permit, and thought even back then that it was a rat hole in terms of taking care of it.

A boutique hotel will be refreshing difference... and even that sounds like a Hurculean task from what it was used for before.

Interesting to see both the former Fire Department HQ and now the Police Dept HQ end up as boutique hotels.

Also glad that post pandemic the Park Avenue House [a Louis Kamper design] will become a 172 room boutique hotel, known as Hilton's "Royal Palm Hotel", part of their Tapestry Collection!

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...it/5631555002/
    Last edited by Gistok; April-21-21 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post

Uhh, I think a hotel is more than a fine use for the building. What would the city even do with it? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

The Jetson's type picture in post 39 is a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    nah bro
    https://www.kpf.com/projects/detroit...for-innovation
    https://detroitcenterforinnovation.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Seems that everyone complains that most new construction is bland and look-alike. And yet when it’s unique....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^^ I agree Southen... the last thing I want is another opportunity to give it back to the city. They let it deteriorate way longer than they ever should have.

I remember being in there 40 years ago to take my late father to get a gun permit, and thought even back then that it was a rat hole in terms of taking care of it.

A boutique hotel will be refreshing difference... and even that sounds like a Hurculean task from what it was used for before.

Interesting to see both the former Fire Department HQ and now the Police Dept HQ end up as boutique hotels.

Also glad that post pandemic the Park Avenue House [a Louis Kamper design] will become a 172 room boutique hotel, known as Hilton's "Royal Palm Hotel", part of their Tapestry Collection!

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...it/5631555002/
    Last I heard [[a few weeks ago) the Royal Palm idea has been cancelled. I work for a subcontractor in the construction field and I submitted a bid on that project.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Looks like....
    There ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Seems that everyone complains that most new construction is bland and look-alike. And yet when it’s unique....
    I do like the "cutting edge" edge of the building...

https://www.madisonseating.com/retro...xoCUw8QAvD_BwE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast