Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
My hometown of Traverse City managed to keep their small downtown theater, The State, and today it operates as a state of the art [[no pun intended) first run theater that also hosts various older movies and community events. I believe it's run by a non-profit and I know the staff is almost 100% volunteer. My father is a teacher and most of the school staff his school helps there in exchange for free tickets.

I would love to see this model implemented in Allen Park being that it's now at this junction. There are certainly the deep pockets in the area to renovate the theater, it would just take the effort of local influences to get the process going.

I also thought this model would work for the National Theater in Detroit if DG were so inclined, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
The State is a great theater. Always enjoyed going to movies when I’m up there. Volunteers do a fantastic job with that place.

As far as the National Theater goes, I’m still not sure any movie theater would work in Detroit. There have been problems in the past.