Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

@Zacha341 sassafras tea was made from the bark of the tree as a spring tonic. It was alleged to be a carcinogen, but I remember sassafras being used in Hires root beer.

My dad would make "cannibal sandwiches" with raw minced beef, chopped raw onion, and a dusting of salt and pepper. He also like headcheese. My mother's family were Poles from the Chene and Palmer area,with them it was kiszka [[blood sausage) an czarnina [[duck's blood soup), blech!

I used to have ice cream or some sort of desert every day. I limit myself to a small piece of chocolate or piece of cinnamon toast now.

Also, not really food, but pop. Used to drink it all the time, now - maybe one or two a week if that. I've come to really like those flavored carbonated waters - like Bubbly - that have no sugar or anything in them. That, or unflavored mineral water with a drop of cherry or grapefruit bitters.

Ugh, I just cannot get the thing of wanting to eat blood. No, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    My dad would make "cannibal sandwiches" with raw minced beef, chopped raw onion, and a dusting of salt and pepper. He also like headcheese. My mother's family were Poles from the Chene and Palmer area,with them it was kiszka [[blood sausage) an czarnina [[duck's blood soup), blech!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Ugh, I just cannot get the thing of wanting to eat blood. No, thanks.
    Think of eating raw beef as 'extra rare'. It has more flavor than dried out well done meat. My grandmother would give me salted raw beef after school. She trusted her butcher. The Austrian mother of one of my schoolmates would sometimes bring him raw ground beef and egg sandwiches as a treat just before lunch. I don't think this is done so much anymore because of awareness of salmonella and other diseases from processing plants.

Related- Bacon, hot dogs and other lunch meats are being avoided by more people because of cancer statistics associated with them. My neighborhood Kroger's does have lunchmeat now that advertises no preservatives for the same price as regular embalmed lunchmeat.

I've avoided raw so well I've never acquired a taste for it. Never had any unless it was an accident at a restaurant where some thing was served to me rare - cured by my not eating any further.

'Embalmed' lunchmeat! I'll remember that! Hah!

Trying to avoid that too along with raw meats! I don't eat sushi either.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    My neighborhood Kroger's does have lunchmeat now that advertises no preservatives for the same price as regular embalmed lunchmeat.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-10-19 at 09:01 AM.