Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Grand River FAST service doesn't make sense at the moment because Novi is an opt-out community. If the RTA passes, Grand River and Van Dyke would be the first up to get FAST service.

This region will never get behind comprehensive rail. At this point it's too expensive and rigid. With the rapidly changing mobility market, I, too, don't think it's a wise investment. BRT is the best to shoot for.

I've always wanted clearer signage [[and clearer route maps) from both SMART and DDOT [[the FAST Gratiot routing to WSU comes to mind). I haven't noticed the missing signs at 11 & Woodward, but you do know the actual FAST stop is an 1/8 mile south of 11 Mile just south of Hendrie, no? If you've been looking for it at the first SMART stop north of 11, you'll never find it.

http://www.rtamichigan.org/wp-conten...ortunities.pdf
    What has changed in the mobility market? Bird, Lime, and Spin scooters. E-bikes?

This decade many cities have built rapid rail transit lines - from Minneapolis to Los Angeles to Dallas to Miami to Denver. PHOENIX, YES PHOENIX, just voted to approve a light rail expansion. If these places can build it, why can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    What has changed in the mobility market? Bird, Lime, and Spin scooters. E-bikes?

This decade many cities have built rapid rail transit lines - from Minneapolis to Los Angeles to Dallas to Miami to Denver. PHOENIX, YES PHOENIX, just voted to approve a light rail expansion. If these places can build it, why can't we?
    I would love to see Metro Detroit build out a comprehensive rail system, but I think there isn't enough political will or business/consumer buy-in to ever get it funded. But I would absolutely love to be wrong on this.

All those cities above have had rail for well over a decade. Besides them all having the political capital and business/consumer buy-in that we lack, LA and Phoenix have awful pollution that adds to rail's salability;Miami, LA, Denver and Dallas have severe traffic congestion that adds to rail's salability; and Minneapolis and Denver are just more progressive than Detroit is [[and not tied to the legacy of the auto industry).

In addition to those new mobility options you've listed, add Uber, Lyft, ZipCar, etc. The mobility industry is evolving rapidly. Adding completely autonomous vehicles in the next 10 years will bring both unknown consequences and benefits. But their route flexibility and customization will better suit Metro Detroit's already ingrained commuting patterns and preferences.