Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
I'd rate the McNamara terminal highly for travelers who are not in a rush and are traveling light. It's airy and clean, and some of the food choices are decent, considering it's an airport. But "not in a rush" and "traveling light" doesn't often describe my experience flying in and out of there, so I have a different perspective. It's not great at all for anyone in a hurry, traveling with young children, or otherwise encumbered. And all three do often describe me.

Is there any other airport that requires an earlier arrival? Passing through security is slower, on average, than anywhere else I've experienced. The lines are long and the TSA employees seem to be the most particular. The walk from car to gate, and vice versa, tends to be as long or longer than it is at any other airport -- especially to/from the midfield terminal. And as others have noted, the elevator situation is way too complicated -- not just for the disabled, but for anyone pushing a stroller.

I get the criticisms of Laguardia: it's old and ugly. But I always saw its smaller size as a great benefit. Passing through was always comparatively fast and easy-- even if that's much less the case during its renovation. I'll take fast and easy over slow and complicated any day. And whether bad or decent, I usually pass on airport food anyway.

Besides, even more important than getting to and from the gate quickly is the price of the airfare. And while it's not a reflection of the airport, fares into and out of Detroit tend to be outrageously more expensive.
We must have different experiences of Laguardia, because every time I have flew through that airport it has been a cluster f@%k.