Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Last edited by hybridy; September-27-19 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Thanks for the link hybridy...

I have always thought how poorly the "erosion" of the sloping embankments on either side of I-94 looks poorly on the city as a whole. There were always unsightly bare patches along the freeway, which I assume was caused by mowing machines cutting the grass soon after a rain storm [[as well as widening the shoulder and causing steeper sloping). With cement lower walls, it will look much cleaner.

I assume that the new low retaining walls along the side of the expanded I-94 do not cause the tunnel effect that the Lodge Fwy has between Livernois and 8 Mile... which in turn forces trucks carrying flammables to exit the freeway. It looks like all trucks will be able to use that stretch of the freeway.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-27-19 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I assume that the new low retaining walls along the side of the expanded I-94 do not cause the tunnel effect that the Lodge Fwy has between Livernois and 8 Mile... which in turn forces trucks carrying flammables to exit the freeway. It looks like all trucks will be able to use that stretch of the freeway.
    Why does that stretch of M-10 have the NRMH restriction?

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Why does that stretch of M-10 have the NRMH restriction?
    I believe it's because the retaining walls are straight up and down and there would be no way for people to evacuate the freeway level in the event of a major explosion that would happen if a truck with hazardous materials were to be involved in a catastrophic accident. There are some fire escape-like stairways that can be activated from the service drive level to get to the freeway level, but not vice versa.

Further, to get the freeway portion to fit within the footprint of the old James Couzens boulevard, I believe the left lane of the northbound service drive is partially over the freeway as exhibited by the fact there is a noticeable overhang above the right shoulder on the northbound side of the freeway in this stretch.

Also, hazardous materials are prohibited on I-696 between I-75 and M-10/US-24 because that stretch has similar straight up and down retaining walls.

Quote Originally Posted by 248lurker View Post
    ...There are some fire escape-like stairways that can be activated from the service drive level to get to the freeway level, but not vice versa...
    I have no source to quote, but as someone who lived on Greenfield near Seven Mile in the middle '60s [[when that section of the Lodge was new), I believe the escape ladders originally had chains to pull them down to the freeway level when needed. I've never seen one actually being used, though, to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by thomprod View Post
    I have no source to quote, but as someone who lived on Greenfield near Seven Mile in the middle '60s [[when that section of the Lodge was new), I believe the escape ladders originally had chains to pull them down to the freeway level when needed. I've never seen one actually being used, though, to confirm.
    I distinctly remember the chains, and there were signs below as well. Don't recall what they said, but I imagine it was 'don't use except in emergency'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I distinctly remember the chains, and there were signs below as well. Don't recall what they said, but I imagine it was 'don't use except in emergency'.
    It's hard to notice the chains when driving down the freeway at 55 MPH, but they appear to still be there. However, the one for the emergency ladder at Outer Drive and northbound M-10 looks like it might be broken as of May 2019:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4208...7i16384!8i8192

The freeway-level sign reads:

EMERGENCY LADDER
    PULL CHAIN TO LOWER
    LEAVE IN DOWN POSITION
    Last edited by 248lurker; September-28-19 at 11:44 PM.