14 states have Democratic trifectas; a Democratic governor and legislature. Not one has passed a single payer system similar to that of any Canadian province. Obama's big accomplishment was passing the un-ACA. That was supposed to be a huge step forward. When it didn't work without changing rules and funding, the happy talk switched to a national single payer program.

Canada has a generally successful single payer system that is about 40% cheaper than medical care in the U.S.. Taxes are higher but savings are made by greatly reducing health and medical liability insurance, limiting doctor liability so they don't have to pass on as much of their liability insurance costs on to patients, hiring a lot of foreign trained doctors to save on training so many of their own doctors, buying medicines in bulk to get a better price, less duplication of medical equipment, and by greatly simplifying billing to get rid of a wing of bureaucrats in each hospital. All we have to do is kick the insurance companies, lawyers, and bureaucrats out and costs come way down.

California worked on having a single payer system but left those groups in. The result was that state income taxes would have had to gone up by 250% to pay for that. Just like the un-ACA, the affordable part was neglected. All the hogs were left feeding from the health care trough.

Then, at the second Democratic presidential debate, all 10 candidates raised their hand to affirm that they supported free medical care for illegal non-citizens. We don't even know whether there are ten or thirty million illegal non-citizens in the U.S. because Democrats won't let us ask in the census. Free medical care would incentivize millions more to come. With all the hogs left feeding at the trough and Democrats inviting millions of foreigners to share medicare for all [[and they mean all), I would be nervous about trusting my health care to these clowns.

What I think would be more prudent would be for some Democratic states to copy any Canadian provincial plan, changing the wording as necessary, e.g. 'ministry of' = 'department of'. If it works, other states will be quick to copy. Doing so would be completely Constitutional under the 10th. Amendment.