Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Def looks like Target is E Lansing. Another grocer-only store across from Whole Foods doesn't make sense, but its been done before.

I think the Target in East Lansing is 22,000 square feet. I believe in Austin just outside of Downtown there is a Target next to a Whole Foods. It can work considering Target can sell consumables. There used to be a Kroger right across the street from another Kroger in Dearborn lol. In Livonia there is a Target next to a Walmart which are on the same street as Meijer and Costco next to each other.

There was going to be a West Elm hotel in this development, but West Elm pulled out. I wonder if the hotel has been removed from this development.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    There was going to be a West Elm hotel in this development, but West Elm pulled out. I wonder if the hotel has been removed from this development.
    It’s still planned but it will be an AC by Marriott. The Bonstelle will be part of it.

Has anyone found the documents that they presented to the city?

These paywalled articles are the only source I can find. Usually searching the city website turns up some goodies, but this time it came up empty

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    A Crain's article from today says,

From a quick Google search, Aldi says their average store is only around half that size at 17,000 SF, so could be something else. Plus there is already an Aldi in Highland Park
    Why would the Aldi in Highland Park matter? That's nowhere near this area, and even if it was, there's absolutely no reason this part of the City couldn't support another 2 or 3 supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Why would the Aldi in Highland Park matter? That's nowhere near this area, and even if it was, there's absolutely no reason this part of the City couldn't support another 2 or 3 supermarkets.
    Have to agree here. The typical renter in the proposed development isn't doing their grocery shopping in Highland Park- they're spending it all at 'Whole Paycheck". Interestingly, there is precedent for urban mixed-use Aldi store.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Interestingly, there is precedent for urban mixed-use Aldi store.
    That would be a very cool concept for that area.

Anyone know the sq. footage? Most City Targets are about 40,000 sq. ft. but some are smaller. I would think if the 2nd floor is available then they would have enough space.

The one is East Lansing is 22,000 sq. ft

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Anyone know the sq. footage? Most City Targets are about 40,000 sq. ft. but some are smaller. I would think if the 2nd floor is available then they would have enough space.
    The one that's currently under construction in Ann Arbor is 12,000 sq. ft.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    The one that's currently under construction in Ann Arbor is 12,000 sq. ft.
    You guys are getting me all excited. With the addition of 4100 Woodward being turned into a grocery store as well, the chances that we get a Target/Trader Joe's/Aldi etc. is doubled. I'm all for local grocers as well, but having a national brand is still exciting.

I would love to have a Lidl in Detroit. It was our favorite grocer in Germany. Low prices but great quality. I know they are quickly expanding their US presence.

^ There's are two Aldi's in Detroit if that is what you mean. One on Mack and Chalmers and well one on Woodward near six mile but that actually Highland Park. I like them greatly once you sort out what works for your needs and what does not. I like the minimal processing of some of their offerings.

I wonder how that Aldi's is fairing up on Greenfield near 696 in Southfield right next door to the newer Kroger?

Actually, Mack and Alter Road, one traffic light to the east of Chalmers.

No I definitely mean Lidl. I live near the Mack/Alter Aldi and go there often. I would take Lidl 11 times out of 10 over Aldi.

I spread my modest [[un-)wealth around all of them: Trader Joe's, Aldi, and Whole Foods, in that order. Though for convenience's sake, Kroger tops the list. [[Listed by take-home weight, not by expense.) They're all best for something.

My exception is in Florida, where every Whole Foods I've been to has been, putting it nicely, sub-par. They're not worth an extra drive, at all. Publix may be barely any cheaper [[them's NY prices in FL), but they're almost certainly closer, and at least when it comes to the basics [[fruit/vegs/meat/fish/starch/cheese/milk/juice/beer/wine) offers just as good [[even without organic bananas).

BTW, having a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's near each other is a very common phenomenon. Search for them in any thriving city and you'll find they usually are. Finding both may be the surest way of locating upscale neighborhoods in an unfamiliar city.
    Last edited by bust; February-03-21 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ There's are two Aldi's in Detroit if that is what you mean. One on Mack and Chalmers and well one on Woodward near six mile but that actually Highland Park. I like them greatly once you sort out what works for your needs and what does not. I like the minimal processing of some of their offerings.

I wonder how that Aldi's is fairing up on Greenfield near 696 in Southfield right next door to the newer Kroger?
    There are 3, the other is at gratiot and 8 mile on the Detroit side

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    BTW, having a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's near each other is a very common phenomenon.
    The good ole Nash Equilibrium

Great reference!
    I had to look that up.
    It makes sense.
    There must be an economic reason why similar businesses locate near each other.
    Even if car culture, suburbia, and the strip malls they've encouraged must also be factored into any equation and are influences some places more than others.
    Last edited by bust; February-03-21 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Great reference!
    I had to look that up.
    It makes sense.
    There must be an economic reason why similar businesses locate near each other.
    Even if car culture, suburbia, and the strip malls they've encouraged must also be factored into any equation and are influences some places more than others.
    Here's a good video on it.

Same thing with Walgreens and CVS in many communities, though I've not seen that trend hold up as much in Detroit...I see many CVS's without a corresponding Walgreens

Target in Detroit FINALLY announced!

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-store-detroit

"The small-format store is expected to take 32,000 square feet in the development generally referred to as South of Mack Avenue.That location has been rumored for several years as the intended location for the Minneapolis-based retail chain.
    The store is to be the anchor retail tenant for a 350-unit apartment development planned by Farmington Hills-based City Club Apartments."

Total scope:

The project that is currently before this Honorable Body is the proposal of CCA to develop CityClub Apartments-Midtown on the approximately 2.4 acre site on the southeast corner of Mack andWoodward avenues.

The development is part of the Red Cross site master plan, bounded by MackAvenue, the former Red Cross building, Woodward Avenue, and the reinstated, privately- ownedextension of Eliot Street. A portion of the site is currently utilized for parking with the remainderof the site being vacant.

The project under consideration is a mixed-use development that will include three separatebuildings designed to exist cohesively with each other and are comprised of the following:
     A 32,000 square foot [[SF) single story retail building
     A 64,000 SF six-story mixed-use building with 12,500 SF of ground floor retail and77 apartments
     A 203,000 SF 16-story apartment building with 273 apartments

Within the three buildings, there is a proposed mix of one-bedroom, two bedroom, three-bedroom, studio, convertible, townhouse and penthouseunits.

Of the total amount of units, 20% will be set aside as affordable.The retail space that is planned for the site will host a national retail anchorto occupy approximately 31,000 SF. Another 4,000 SF is planned for anational bank on the site. The remaining retail space is planned to host alocal Detroit-based restaurant, coffee-shop and bakery.

There are currentlyon-going negotiations to solidify the users for all of the aforementionedretail spaces.Amenities for the development include a lounge, library, dog park, skyclub with rooftop pool and outdoor grilling stations, 24/7 Whole BodyFitness, wellness room, movie theatre, business center, conference room,and zen garden.

The proposed development will also offer three outdoorspaces to residents, patrons, commercial tenants and the surroundingcommunity.Two hundred and sixty-one [[261) parking spaces are proposed, of which186 spaces will be located below-grade on the site.

An additional 75 spacesare planned to be located at the adjacent SOMA parking garage via leaseagreement.The total cost for the development stands at $95 million. CCA anticipatesfinancing the project with senior and mezzanine construction loans, as wellas other possible economic incentives such as Brownfield TIF.

It is estimatedthat the project will generate 133 full-time labor and skilled trade jobs duringconstruction. Once completed, a total of 62 full-time, 55 part-time retail, andseveral management jobs are anticipated.
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 570
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  71.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  45.2 KB
    love to hear the parking will be below-grade and outsourced to that elliot street deck, looks like no additional surface parking at all, with all the ground space going to landscaping/gardening. it's a great look – and reason to forgive that the five-over-one is probably another tinderbox??

looks like we'll have a near-fully activated Woodward corridor from Mack/MLK to Fisher in a few years – all that's left will be the two lots at Temple/Woodward. that's pretty awesome!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast