Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

A few counterpoints, and words of agreement...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Immigrants going through the citizenship process receive a extensive and in depth process to verify who they are,including sending agents to interview neighbors in their home country.
    The process is thorough and in depth, but it absolutely does not include sending agents to the applicant's home country, nor interviewing neighbors at all. [[And if it did, can you imagine the expense?)

Apply for a US visa in some countries and the process can take up to 3 years and you have to prove financial self reliance in your county,neighbors are interviewed,most cases you must have family ties in your home countries,and an extensive background check.
    What countries interview the applicant's neighbors? The cost and the logistics would be prohibitive. I find this very hard to believe.

Most cases ones here illegally that are here illegally after overstaying their tourist visa,have had extensive background checks.
    By far more are here from overstaying their tourist visa than illegally crossing the border. 62% in fact, vs. 38%. You can find more facts and figures here. And among those overstaying their tourist visa, more than twice as many are from Canada as are from anywhere else. Britain is #4, and France also makes the top 10. I suppose the definition of "extensive" is debatable, but most reasonable people would say they have NOT had extensive background checks. Nor would it make sense to submit every tourist wanting to come here on a vacation to one.

The focus on the border and the focus on properly identifying who is in this country is there for a reason,when we became to complacent with that it costs lives.
    I agree we must properly control who enters our country, and identify who is here. It's to address the second part of that what the proposal to identify illegal immigrants is intended to do. It's part of a solution to address the real problems, not just more of the divisive rhetoric and false solutions we so often hear.

What is the whole reasoning behind forcing 300,000,000people to abide by the rules while making exceptions for others.

I thought the concept was the same rules apply to everybody,there is no argument anymore,they do not.
    I too am against illegal immigration and support playing by the rules. My wife and I have personal experience going through the legal process end to end. It took many years and as many or more thousands of dollars: citizenship application after green card application after visa renewal application after visa application after another. We dotted every i and crossed every t, and it was hard. We would be resentful were the county to put those who come here illegally ahead of people who do it by the book.

There is no doubt our immigration policies need drastic improvement. But we need the best solutions for our real problems, not wasteful measures designed for grossly exaggerated and/or imaginary problems so many politicians and other blowhards want us to believe for our loyalty and votes.

Meanwhile we must continue our proud tradition of showing empathy for those who legitimately seek asylum. That has been and should remain at the core of whom we are as Americans. In our effort to protect America and Americans, let's not lose who we are.
    Last edited by bust; August-11-19 at 11:22 AM.

FIVE*****!! Thank you for sharing your story Bust. This perspective needs to be heard and advanced more, but too often ignored in the 'Far Left vs. Trump' matrix per the rhetoric from both sides.

It's almost as though the legal process of entry has been forgotten - and how those who came that way feel about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    ...I too am against illegal immigration and support playing by the rules. My wife and I have personal experience going through the legal process end to end. It took many years and as many or more thousands of dollars: citizenship application after green card application after visa renewal application after visa application after another. We dotted every i and crossed every t, and it was hard. We would be resentful were the county to put those who come here illegally ahead of people who do it by the book.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-12-19 at 08:04 AM.