Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

gnome, There is no bitterness involved in prioritizing fellow Americans. It's called solidarity; something in short supply among Democrats and Chamber of Commerce Republicans these days. It's a choice.

You also fail to make the distinction between legal and illegal non-citizens. We have a process for allowing in immigrants. Congress establishes a uniform naturalization procedure [[Article 1, Section 8). Not one for illegal non-citizens and another for legal non-citizens. Congress decides - not Oma. Every other type of criminal wants a better life too. That doesn't mean that just because criminals want a better life, they can demand it. Would be immigrants, however, do have the option of applying to immigrate and coming in the front door. My father and all four grandparents were immigrants. I have no ill will toward immigrants. I have misgivings, however toward people who slither in illegally, their employers who profit by hiring them instead of a more expensive American worker, and enablers like yourself, who prioritize criminals and their profiteering employers over working Americans. I never said anything about flags.

You don't understand supply and demand either. It's not that illegal workers hide in the shadows that drives down labor rates. Its that a larger supply of workers vying for the same number of jobs depresses wages.

People who do not respect American immigration laws should not be put in front of the immigration line. They have not provided evidence that they will obey traffic laws any more than border signs.

I disagree with your anti-American worker cliche "
    there are no harder American Workers than those from other countries". Americans will do any work but not necessarily for illegal alien wages. I've come across all sorts of very hard working Americans. Where have you been? Listening to you, one would think that Americans have never dirtied their hands building, creating, farming or serving in the military.

Thank you though for the armchair psychoanalysis. It was amusing in an elitist sort of way like Hillary deeming Americans workers "a basket of deplorables".
    Last edited by oladub; August-11-19 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    gnome, There is no bitterness involved in prioritizing fellow Americans. It's called solidarity; something in short supply among Democrats and Chamber of Commerce Republicans these days. It's a choice.

So, basically, the majority of Americans don't agree with you?

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    So, basically, the majority of Americans don't agree with you?[/COLOR]
    Taking your comment in the light of ironic humor, you rare probably correct.

Democrats + Chamber of Commerce Republicans = majority for open borders

Formerly lucid Bernie Sanders summed it up, "Should we have a completely open border so that anyone can come in the United States of America? If that were to happen, which I strongly disagree with, there is no question in my mind that that would substantially lower wages in this country."

That sounds rather 'Trumpish' of Bernie. Or shall we say just reasonable!----?

Of course open borders would lower wages! Duh!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-11-19 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Taking your comment in the light of ironic humor, you rare probably correct.

Democrats + Chamber of Commerce Republicans = majority for open borders
    Two points:
    1. Yes, ironic and pointed, because a majority in this country should mean the will of the people.

2. Really, do you meet a lot of people who say yes, send the border patrol home and let everyone in? Because I haven't. Someone can want the US to have a controlled border while at the same time wanting to treat people humanely and to come up with solutions rather than using immigration as a way to stir up voters.

^^^ Yep... too often it is put forth that if you want a controlled border you're racist, xeno, etc.

Trumps comments and rhetoric have helped feed into that.

But he'll not be president forever and the edgy policies set forth now will be with us for a long time.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-12-19 at 09:15 AM.

Two points:
    1. Yes, ironic and pointed, because a majority in this country should mean the will of the people.

2. Really, do you meet a lot of people who say yes, send the border patrol home and let everyone in? Because I haven't. Someone can want the US to have a controlled border while at the same time wanting to treat people humanely and to come up with solutions rather than using immigration as a way to stir up voters.
    I was hoping that the will of the people was at least represented in Congress and laws it passes. You might be confusing mob rule, plutocratic campaign funding and anarchy with Constitution law which says that Congress is delegated with establishing uniform naturalization laws. The Constitution also says that the federal government has a duty to defend our borders from invasion. If illegal non-citizens can ignore posted immigration signs, I want to at least be able to violate laws of my choosing; maybe go through red lights when I don't see anyone coming or pay all my taxes. Others might want to be vigilantes. That's worse.

In the final scene of Romeo and Juliet, the Prince blames himself for letting things get out of hand "And I for winking at your discords too have lost a brace of kinsmen. All are punished".

Over 100,000 illegal non-citizens a month were being captured by the border patrol in recent months and the border patrol estimates it catches about 54% of illegal border crossers. An estimated 11M illegal non-citizens live and work in the U.S.. That number never seems to change even with 100,000 people sneaking across the border monthly. Policies that allow that do let that many people in. The solution is to enforce our laws, elect representatives who do so and stop incentivizing illegal non-citizens from coming here. This pandering, in turn, leads to incarcerations, drownings, and rapes along the journey. People who incentivize all this discord should accept more responsibility for things getting out of hand.

Caveat: There is a legal way of entering the U.S.. It is expensive, tricky, and time consuming but immigrants who matriculate are treated humanely or at least like other Americans.
    Last edited by oladub; August-12-19 at 08:21 AM.

Two points:
    This is just wrong. Our constitution is designed to prevent simple majorities from making decisions. Its a simple idea. We elect and appoint people to power. They make decisions for us, to reflect our collective will. Protection of minority rights by specifically limiting popular votes is a feature, not a bug.

Of course someone can desire controlled border and better execution of border security. However I don't think my ear deceived me that several of the top 20 candidates said clearly that they want to decriminalize border crossing. Is that not an uncontrolled border? Or what am I missing. How would the border patrol control the border if they don't have any legal authority to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Of course someone can desire controlled border and better execution of border security. However I don't think my ear deceived me that several of the top 20 candidates said clearly that they want to decriminalize border crossing. Is that not an uncontrolled border? Or what am I missing. How would the border patrol control the border if they don't have any legal authority to do so?
    I don't mean to be rude but yes you are very wrong. If you actually listen to the stance about decriminalizing it's basis is that the fact that border crossing is a crime, it gives the US the power to treat people attempting to cross as criminals and thus instituting policies like we see now. Decriminalizing crossing the border does not mean everyone would be let in, because they still would not be a lawful resident of the country. Border patrol would still be in their full right to detain unlawful residents and potentially deport them, but not charging them with a crime, some would argue, would end family separations and some of the policies implemented. None of the candidates want open borders.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I don't mean to be rude but yes you are very wrong. If you actually listen to the stance about decriminalizing it's basis is that the fact that border crossing is a crime, it gives the US the power to treat people attempting to cross as criminals and thus instituting policies like we see now. Decriminalizing crossing the border does not mean everyone would be let in, because they still would not be a lawful resident of the country. Border patrol would still be in their full right to detain unlawful residents and potentially deport them, but not charging them with a crime, some would argue, would end family separations and some of the policies implemented. None of the candidates want open borders.
    It is never rude to make a polite correction. And I hear what you are saying here. But there is a contradiction between your words that I'd like to ask about -- without being rude!

You say they would still be 'unlawful' residents. But that they would not be charged with a crime. There's an inconsistency in your logic that I'd appreciate some clarification.

Perhaps you mean it would be legal to cross the border, but illegal be 'be' on the US side? Seems like pretty much the same thing.

I do think you are helping me understand the logic of the 'make border crossing legal' campaign pledge.

Yet, I see contradictions that perhaps are by design. We can eliminate family separations, but still 'detain' and 'deport' people? Who wouldn't like that.

This is just wrong. Our constitution is designed to prevent simple majorities from making decisions. Its a simple idea. We elect and appoint people to power. They make decisions for us, to reflect our collective will. Protection of minority rights by specifically limiting popular votes is a feature, not a bug.
    Yes, you win the debate point. The US is a representational democracy. Nevertheless, if representatives go against the will of the majority of people [[the Democrats+Chamber of Commerce Republicans mentioned above), then the will no longer be the representative after the next election.

I think your confusion is in decriminalize crossing vs. allow crossings. Illegal border crossing right now is both a civil offense and a misdemeanor. The civil offense means they can be deported. The misdemeanor means they can be punished.

Decriminalizing means removing the misdemeanor, which means removing the legal basis for punishment. If you believe the punishments have been too [[severe, expensive, inhumane, or whatever), then you support removing the misdemeanor, which means decriminalizing.

I haven't heard anyone advocating removing the civil aspect, which means CBP would have the legal authority to capture and deport people illegally crossing the border.

...snip...
    I haven't heard anyone advocating removing the civil aspect, which means CBP would have the legal authority to capture and deport people illegally crossing the border.
    I listened to the debates. What I heard was 'decriminalize'. That means 'no apprehensions' to me.

If the only concern was 'family separations', its easy enough to say that. But that's not what was said.

So I feel like this is a BS issue. Its just Orange Man bad. And the 'criminal vs. civil' argument is self-justification. The candidates want to 'resist' Trump. Obama was deporter-in-chief. That's all forgotten as long as we have an issue to beat up on President Trump. Family Separations on borders around the world will be forgotten the moment this isn't politically advantageous. [[Look at Canada for our future. Trudeau tweets 'welcome to Canada'. And then after the financial and political costs of waves of 'illegal' immigrants become an issue, he quietly tightened up the rules, and reminded everyone that most refugee claims are denied in the end. We'll see this issue disappear after Trump's second term.)
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; August-13-19 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Change approach