Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
This is unusually silly for you.

Homicide associated with guns and gangs is always going to be more concentrated in urban areas, which in the US context are almost all more Democratic.
Yes, they are mostly Democratic. I agree that gangs are most often found in Democratic cities. However, there must be lot of hunters who own guns in New Hampshire.

Comparing NYC to NewHampshire is silly.
Actually, I listed the U.S. next to Canada and Louisiana next to New Hampshire. Both are states.

You at least need to find a large 2M+ urban centre that tends to vote Republican if you wanted to draw that rather specious comparison.
There are some large U.S. cities like Seattle and NYC that have lower homicide rates the the U.S. although Democratic cities usually have higher homicide rates. Of the 33 cities of the largest 100 cities that have a lower homicide rate then the U.S., a higher percentage of Republican cities show up. Maybe Jefferson was right about the evils of urbanization. Of the corresponding 33 of 100 cities with the highest homicide rates, only a few might be Republican or at least not overwhelmingly Democrat. I didn't make up these numbers.

After all, right in your own list, you show the Canada-wide homicide rate at roughly 1/3 of the U.S. rate.
Canada's most conservative regions are to the political left of anything you'd fine in LA or NYC.
So what? I cited Democrat, not liberal.

Our Big Cities across the board have homicide rates, this year of 2.2 or less.

Toronto [[2.2), Montreal around 0.9, Vancouver 1.0.

All are subject to Canada's gun laws; and universal healthcare.
Did you miss the part about "Despite a significant increase in the sales of firearms since 1994, the US has seen a drop in the annual rate of homicides using a firearm from 7.0 per 100,000 population in 1993 to 3.6 per 100,000."? That's remarkable progress. I made it red this time to stand out. We must be doing something right.

I did put the U.S. and Canadian rates next to each other. I wasn't trying to hide them. Congratulations on Canada's better numbers. You can pat yourself on the back. Thank's for caring.

I found this too. "The global rate was 7.6 intentional homicides per 100,000 inhabitants for 2004. UNODC [[United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime) reported a global average intentional homicide rate of 6.2 per 100,000 population for 2012 [[in their report titled "Global Study on Homicide2013").

Canada and most of the developed world are doing better than the U.S which in turn is doing better than the world average. Much of the world's population considers abortion to be homicide. I usually don't. If we included abortion numbers, my guess is that the United States would be in the middle again with a more or less reverse order of nations.