.............was July 21, 1969, and it was one heck of a day for me. Apollo 11? No, despite its historical significance, it took second place for me that day. For on that date I was promoted from Patrolman [[Oh, God! No! I failed to use the politically correct "Police Officer".....but that's what we were called back then!) to Detective. It was a great ceremony headed by the Mayor [[I don't recall who it was back then, and too lazy to look it up); the Common Council; and Police Commissioner Johannes Spreen [[remember him? One of the carpetbaggers from NYC.) Anyway, went through the well-attended ceremony, then the wife and I with our new-badged colleagues headed for the Lindell AC, where we closed the joint up at 2:30 a.m. Which was nasty, because I had to report for my first new day at work at the 10th [[Livernois) Precinct Detective Bureau at 8:00 a.m. But I made it, hangover and all.

That's the good part. The bad part is that I really missed all the live TV coverage of Apollo 11, but hey. Ain't that life?