Hello Folks!

I attended the I-75 Phase Three open house today. I was able to get a lot of interesting information. Here are the highlights:

• A tunnel boring machine will be used to make the underground rain storage pipe.
    • The TBM will be inserted in the northeast quadrant of the I-75\I-696 interchange and the tailings will be brought to that location.
    • The tunnel will go as far north as 12 Mile and as far south as Meyers [[8.5 Mile).
    • The tunnel will be for rain water only. It will be able to store an entire 100 year storm without discharging any of it. It can then wait to discharge the water until after things have calmed down.
    • This water won't need to get treated like the rainfall does today, because the current system is a combined system.
    • This tunnel will help reduce the chances of basement flooding for the 12 Towns Drain system.

• The need for pumping stations will be eliminated in many locations except for where the tunnel pumps out at the Red Run drain
  • Madison Heights has asked that a Diverging Diamond Interchange [[DDI) be considered for the 12 Mile Road interchange [[An example of a DDI would be University Drive over I-75)
  • Work starts later this year but doesn't really ramp up until 2020
  • The project will be done in four segments and will wrap up in 2023, the four segments are as follows:
    • 2020: Northbound I-75 from 8-Mile to I-696
    • 2021: Southbound I-75 from I-696 to 8-Mile
    • 2022: Northbound I-75 from I-696 to 13 Mile Road
    • 2023: Southbound I-75 from 13 Mile Road to I-696

• Temporary paving and the removal of the Dallas Street bridge will be done in 2019. Dallas Street is the first bridge north of the I-75 and I-696 interchange, it is being removed and will not be replaced.
  • I-75 will have 5 lanes in each direction from I-696 to 8-Mile. Currently that section has 4 lanes in each direction.
  • During construction two lanes in each direction will be maintained by pushing the traffic to one side of the freeway and using crossovers

I hope that information is accurate and complete as possible. If anyone has questions I'd be happy to answer them if I'm able.

Take care!