Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
Plus dishonorable mention for the Vile Vega and the Awful Astre in the 70s.
and the Chev Monza

I had a 72 Vega,I actually lived in it during -40 winter temps for a few months,it held on long enough for me to get back on my feet but I think it got mad because I bought a 67 GTO and the Vega blew the head the next day.

A lot of thought was put into the design of those cars so they could be driven to the rail car,stood on end and shipped like that and then driven away at the finial destination,I guess they should have put more thought into the actual engine.

But all the fun started with the GTO and I soon had one for every day of the week including a tri power convertible for the sunny days.

So the gas crunch car killer was what,1971 -3 to 1979 with the combination of the EPA clamp down,the lower end of the market was pretty much junk from 1973 to 1987?

I have a 76 stingray it is a dog and rated at 180 hp on a good day,the 74 to 79 Pontiac Trans Am was GMs power car and it was only rated at 150 hp,they are getting more then that out of the little 4 cyl.

Those were some really dark days for American manufacturers and the customers that bought thier products.

They seem to have passed the 80,000 mile and die mark with cars getting 300,000 miles on them but they sure seem to have learned nothing when it comes to customer satisfaction when issues come up.