Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Just wait until they take some of the college course offerings!
    That Too!!??

I think the intent was honorable. It just got out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Ray, you nailed it.

After some reading and researching I agree with your assessment.

Three idealistic young women caught up in a media maelstrom .

Making a difference they are.

Just differing world views.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-10-19 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Ray, you nailed it.

After some reading and researching I agree with your assessment.

Three idealistic young women caught up in a media maelstrom .

Just differing world views.

Making a difference they are.

No they're not. Adrienne Ayers is a racist, plain and simple. She should have added a section in the back of the concert, "whites only".
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-10-19 at 05:58 AM.

Well, one rationale for doubling the price as stated in the Eventbrite article was: ' "white people have the privilege to attend festivals in "POC populated cities." '. Goodness the thread could blow a gasket in a full-out debate on whether all white people are privileged at the varied levels ascribed.

Setting that aside the concerts revenue could have been resolved to some extent with no reference to race whatsoever: Instead of the original $40 charge for a specific race, and $20 for POC, it could have been $30 for all! Now their revenue will be LOWER from the wrangling and damage control.

With FREE negative press for Detroit. Yay...

At least this whole thing has some people processing/ thinking/ talking and maybe we can see around-the-corner a bit before launching such attempts at redress of prejudice, racism and privilege!!

Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-19 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

At least this whole thing has some people processing/ thinking/ talking and maybe we can see around-the-corner a bit before launching such attempts at redress of prejudice, racism and privilege!!
    Hmmmmm it would seem that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Well said Zacha.

Youthful exuberance for the cause.

I was like that once.

Got me in trouble too with the Man.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-10-19 at 11:45 AM.

If it was income based [[Show your SNAP/EBT or Medicaid Cards) there would have been no problem. Or even residency based [[show proof of address).

^^^ Yep, I could get to that option [[income based). In that option you're providing the option for low income people to enjoy a concert, yet not excluding others based on race.

The race thing just does not work if for no other reason if the races were reversed it would be highly challenged.

I gather now some are saying the organizers, and others are angry that the 'white-supremacists' racists were outraged. But they weren't coming to the event anyway. Goodness......

I don't understand; what was honorable about the intent?

Aj have you ever been employed by an entity that is exempt from title VII of the civil Rights act of 1964. I am. 20 yrs so far. Imagine what comes with that.

You and I are at the bottom of the pecking order here.

I'm ok with that. I'm used to it. Nothing new.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-09-19 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Aj have you ever been employed by an entity that is exempt from title VII of the civil Rights act of 1964. I am. 20 yrs so far. Imagine what comes with that.

You and I are at the bottom of the pecking order here.

I'm ok with that. I'm used to it. Nothing new.
    Hey, maybe this is just part of their "religious beliefs", just like when a conservative baker refuses to provide goods or services to gay people just because they are gay. Oh let me guess, that's different though.

As for the vague circumstances of your life, I don't know where you work or what you do so I can't comment on that, nor do I particularly care that your life sucks because you made poor choices in life and/or are a jerk and therefore no one particularly likes you.

But hey, if whites are charged $10 too, you're going to go this festival, right? Because this was something that directly affected you and isn't just an excuse for you to play the white male victim card...

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post

nor do I particularly care that your life sucks because you made poor choices in life and/or are a jerk and therefore no one particularly likes you.
    Ouch..........

Some like expanded definitions of 'public accommodation', in the interest of forcing wider non-discriminatory enforcement.

I personally like the more classic limitation cited elsewhere thread, where its targeted to hotels/motels, restaurants, theatres, shops. Better to let real racists exhibit their misguided behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Hey, maybe this is just part of their "religious beliefs", just like when a conservative baker refuses to provide goods or services to gay people just because they are gay. Oh let me guess, that's different though.

As for the vague circumstances of your life, I don't know where you work or what you do so I can't comment on that, nor do I particularly care that your life sucks because you made poor choices in life and/or are a jerk and therefore no one particularly likes you.

But hey, if whites are charged $10 too, you're going to go this festival, right? Because this was something that directly affected you and isn't just an excuse for you to play the white male victim card...

Start cutting your asshole dosage in half.

When you treat people differently based on their race, that's racism.

Say what? That's just too straight to the point! ----

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    When you treat people differently based on their race, that's racism.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-19 at 07:58 AM.

The Backlash...

Statement:

Eventbrite said in a statement to CNN they don't "permit events that require attendees to pay different prices based on their protected characteristics such as race or ethnicity."

Further From Article:

The group says its reasoning for doubling ticket prices for white people was because white people have the privilege to attend festivals in "POC populated cities." In other words, the group says, white people can afford tickets to any event in any city, while black and brown people cannot.

"This cycle disproportionately displaces black and brown people from enjoying entertainment in their own communities," the group said on Eventbrite.

FESTIVAL SCRAPS RACE-BASED TICKET PRICES
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-19 at 06:30 AM.

So, why not just use the lower $10 price for everyone?

There's so much political baggage hanging on... what the heck at this point!

It will be mildly interesting to see how the turnout will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Rather than charge everyone the rate that makes it easier for low income people to attend the event, they'd rather make everyone suffer. For them, the show runners, to get more money.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Rather than charge everyone the rate that makes it easier for low income people to attend the event,
    See, there it is. Others have skirted around it, but there it is in print. Who said POC are lower income than others?

Yep. In the interest of helping a group, the group is stereotyped.

Ah, the riddles of man... womankind too! Just to keep thing gender fair sorta!!

See, there it is. Others have skirted around it, but there it is in print. Who said POC are lower income than others?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-13-19 at 05:53 PM.

Actually, the organizers did; I watched them on TV saying that they were trying to make up for the pay inequity between black and white. I will try to see if I can find a clip of the woman organizer saying it. I think it was on Fox 2: They actually refer to it as the "wealth gap" between black and white:

About 1:10 into the video.
    http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...-people-double
    Last edited by jcole; July-13-19 at 12:43 PM.

Well there's the FREE Concert of Colors this weekend!

Less drama and poli-tricks for all. Hopefully!

If your empathy fluctuates by the demographics of the victim or perpetrator then it isn’t truly empathy. These people are racists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast