Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default My Detroit, 1936 to date........

Just trying to catch your attention for a thread I want to start. Comments invited, by all means.

Born and raised in Detroit from 1936 - ? Went to Monnier School [[no longer there) and Mackenzie High [[1050-1954), which is no longer there [[the original, anyway.)

In high school I had a wonderful p/t job at Fromm's Hardware, 8670 Grand River. Swear to God, I learned more in that job that was PRACTICAL in real life than any schooling I ever took. Anyway, went to Wayne State in the fall of 1954 and attended for a year. Was bored out of my mind. During the summer of 1955, I applied for a position of Police Cadet with the DPD, and was hired on August 1, 1955. Never returned to Wayne State. Never returned to Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars. Sigh. [[not!)

Four years in clerical positions in the DPD, and on July 13, 1959, was appointed to the Detroit Police Academy. After which I spent 25 of the finest, most enjoyable years anyone could possibly have in an occupation.

Jeez. 1959. Sixty years ago. Sixty years ago this July 13, 2019. How did it fly by so friggin' fast?

Anyway, worked at the Vernor [[2nd) Precinct for six years, then six years on Motorcycles on traffic [[best six years of my life!), then two years as detective at the 10th Precinct [[Yes, I loved answering the phone there by "Number Ten Downing". Only once did I receive a pause, followed by, "Winston Churchill, please.")

Thence to Sergeant and a myriad of administrative functions working for Chief of Police Bill Hart. And on to retirement after 25 years on October 18, 1984. Moved on to Las Vegas, Nevada, upon retirement, and took a position as Security Chief at Desert Springs Hospital in LV for 17 years. Retired for good in 2001. Wife and I are in our early 80's, and both in decent health.

Pension keeps coming in, but due to Detroit's bankruptcy, we lost our health care. So the Medicare supplement premiums take a bite, but that's life, ain't it?

Anyway, just wanted to share a few thoughts with you great DetroitYes'ers as my 60th anniversary date of July 13, 2019, approaches. And, yes, Marge and I have been married for over 60 years.

God bless her for putting up with me!
    Attached Images Attached Images