Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    My experience with Chaldeans is that they seem to really really want to assimilate with white people and want white approval. I think that's where the racism comes in. They want to feel like they're above black Americans so they can cozy up to white folk.
    The funny thing about that with Chaldeans is that so many of them are here because they were heavily discriminated against as religious and ethnic inferiors in the countries they lived in.

Maybe this woman was hanging out at the bar of this establishment for the sole purpose of trying to get 'picked up' by high-paid athletes or other rich dudes known to frequent this place...hanging out at the bar so others could buy her free drinks...not providing any tips, being rude and belligerent in the process to other patrons with no intention of having a meal, and has done this before. She was eventually called out by the wait staff, and decided to claim 'rascalism' because of it.

Not saying that's the case, but probably more likely than anything to do with race.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Maybe this woman was hanging out at the bar of this establishment for the sole purpose of trying to get 'picked up' by high-paid athletes or other rich dudes known to frequent this place...hanging out at the bar so others could buy her free drinks...not providing any tips, being rude and belligerent in the process to other patrons with no intention of having a meal, and has done this before. She was eventually called out by the wait staff, and decided to claim 'rascalism' because of it.

Not saying that's the case, but probably more likely than anything to do with race.
    Some places you have a seat at the bar while waiting for a table to open up and when one does you are encouraged to go to the table,they are not really intended has a hangout spot.

i am not sure if that was the policy in this case.

She was eventually called out by the wait staff, and decided to claim 'rascalism' because of it.

We know that she was buying her own drinks. the other stuff is not the business of the restaurant and they don't have a right to make guesses and call people out.

Interesting scenario you've made up in your head there.

"Maybe", not an entirely unlikely scenario. I once went out with 8 women on a " girls night out". [[don't ask) What an eye opener and education! Men are such fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    My experience with Chaldeans is that they seem to really really want to assimilate with white people and want white approval. I think that's where the racism comes in. They want to feel like they're above black Americans so they can cozy up to white folk.
    Your premise is flawed. First, Chaldeans for the most part are not trying to impress white people or gain their approval. They don't have this mentality. To begin, most Chaldean prefer to intermarry. Second, most associate with each other. Third, while many of the younger generations are assimilating into maintream American society [[much like Asians), they don't look at it as trying to be white or gain their acceptance. Rather, it is a natural progression of interacting with society at large economically, culturally, and linguistically. Basically - trying to do the best for yourself economically, be a productive member of society, and depend on yourself.

J. Alexander's is part of a national restaurant chain. I don't know whether the W. Bloomfield branch is a franchise or corporate-owned, but I can't imagine that the chain's central management would be too happy that one of their restaurants is being run in such a way as to even give the impression of racist treatment of paying customers. Especially having the police back the patrons' version of events against their staff and, even more, being called out in the media with a high-profile lawsuit. Something is going to give here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Alexander%27s

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    J. Alexander's is part of a national restaurant chain. I don't know whether the W. Bloomfield branch is a franchise or corporate-owned, but I can't imagine that the chain's central management would be too happy that one of their restaurants is being run in such a way as to even give the impression of racist treatment of paying customers.
    I don't know enough about what happened to take a side. We all know it isn't uncommon for a single person to be asked to make room for two or more people. I've had it happen more times than I care to recount. There have been stories of it happening on planes also.

Metro foodland was there for 27 years they did not seem to get much community support to survive.

^ that’s the thing,the money does not really stay within the community,it becomes a collection point then removed from that local circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ that’s the thing,the money does not really stay within the community,it becomes a collection point then removed from that local circulation.
    Yes and that's what I don't like.

I don't know enough to take a side-- none of us do if we weren't there to witness it ourselves. I certainly don't trust Fox 2 to have related the story with the careful objective discernment it deserves. Hell no I don't.

One thing for sure, racism remains a big problem in our society. Just look how quickly racist comments about Chaldeans have accumulated on this thread!
    Last edited by bust; June-25-19 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post

One thing for sure, racism remains a big problem in our society. Just look how quickly racist comments about Chaldeans have accumulated on this thread!
    Chaldean is not a race and nobody made prejudicial comments towards them.

I’ve been to that J Alex location many times. Once a month a small group of us meet at the bar for a couple of drinks at 6:30. There are two booths in the back of the bar that are in high demand. I got there a little early a couple of weeks ago and asked the bartender if I could take a booth telling him there were 3 more coming, I knew he would not be happy with one person taking up that booth all night.
    He was fine with it. The place is usually quite busy, usually about 50 / 50 African American and white, everybody seems to get along swimmingly every time I’ve been there.

The place has good food, not exactly cheap either.

I have yet to see anything from the place saying 'you have to move because ________'.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I have yet to see anything from the place saying 'you have to move because ________'.
    lol you are expecting a script to be handed out?

You know the next step is with a cheap suit lawyer so ...

The president of a local chapter of the NAACP in South Carolina said he was racially profiled in April by a police officer when he was pulled over for a traffic violation, but body camera footage released by the Timmonsville Police Department contradicts the reverend’s claims.

“TONIGHT I WAS RACIALLY PROFILED by Timmonsville Officer CAUSE I WAS DRIVING A MERCEDES BENZ AND GOING HOME IN A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD,” Jarrod Moultrie posted on Facebook April 13.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...#storylink=cpy

Two things:
    1. I've been asked to move, but nobody has poured out my drink, and then asked me to pay for it. If that happened to me, I would write the manager a strongly worded letter, or set fire to the joint.
    2. There is video from the restaurant, and from patrons of the food throwing incident. Those should be interesting.

Here's the WXYZ coverage of a press conference for both incidents.

Oberlin collage was ordered to pay 44 million in damages to a buisness that false claims of racial profiling were leveled against.

The link reads 11 million but it was upgraded to the 44 million.

It shows what happens when things get out of hand.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/09/us/...9_iZx2kBQ07xk-

"One student, Jonathan Aladin, was accused of attempted robbery for allegedly trying to "steal wine or otherwise illegally obtain wine" WHAT! Was Aladin Sane? We had a similar issue here in MI a few years back. Detroit students were being bussed to Bloomfield High School in some kind of student exchange program. Racial slurs started appearing on the high school walls. It became a serious issue, attorneys filed, the media called in, and eventually the Feds became involved. Students and staff were questioned, including a friend who worked there @ the time. One of the Detroit students fessed up. He said he did it because he felt awkward there. Not sure what the final results were. I know Bloomfield dropped the issue. I take these things with a grain of salt now, especially when I see a B/S title like "'No Coloreds' at J Alexander's Restaurant in West Bloomfield!!!"
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-26-19 at 07:40 PM.

Did you just say that black people should thank Chaldeans for opening up liquor stores in their communities!?! And you say Chaldeans haven't killed any black people, yeah right! What do you expect people to do and say when all you do is sell over priced groceries and liquor? Wait, I get it you are only supposed to rob the community blind and reap unfair reward. The hidden fees alone built and keep building Chaldean communities. You are just lucky the city doesn't do a weekly audit of grossly over priced items and shaddy business practices. Just a few examples would be charging a hidden fees of 50 cents for each card transaction, a dozen eggs for 4 dollars and the list goes on. Gee thanks for all those shaddy years you've been in the black community! No wonder why you have to stand behind a bullet proof glass!

And no, Detroit was not full of boarded up stores and bombed out buildings laced with graffiti. Let's do a survey of who owned and still owns the majority of buildings in and around the city. Bet it wouldn't be black owned. The reality is clear here black people have been denied access plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    And no, Detroit was not full of boarded up stores and bombed out buildings laced with graffiti. Let's do a survey of who owned and still owns the majority of buildings in and around the city. Bet it wouldn't be black owned. The reality is clear here black people have been denied access plain and simple.
    Yeah, Ok. Thanx for proving my point. Of course you also know that the Chaldeans to were denied access to bank loans to buy and open businesses? How they got around that were bank rolled by the wealthiest, and after those made it they put their money back into the kitty and funded others. And yes, Detroit was full of abandoned, closed down businesses. People took risks and even sold them on land contracts, which exasperated the problem. But it's all about you.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-27-19 at 07:33 AM.

Is it possible that some people got into an argument over something at a bar that was or wasn’t alcohol fueled? I’ve been to that bar area and / or had dinner at that particular J Alex’s many times. Actually I’ve never even seen a hint of a problem. Was there a problem on a couple of occasions? I guess so, so what’s the BFD?

Fox affiliate which posted original story has posted a follow up

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...ions-are-false

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast