Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Not wading into the deep waters here, but enthused that you note the differences between men and women in comments. Increasingly, the whole gender/ sex thing; denying such, has become incoherent in the denial. Treading upon itself in justification of gender equality at all costs. Demanding that there's no difference between the sexes [[genders) - especially flowing from the academe.

Made even more curious when obvious differences and protections
    are ADVANCED one gender over another [[once more) when it is expedient and politically correct to do so! The gender fluidity social construct is still relatively new; recently cannonized as the new progressive intelligence and orthodoxy.

Viva la difference! Let male and female strengths compliment one another towards advancing the best culture possible.

I have to confess, I'm lost on the whole "gender is a social construct" thing. I see gender as a genetic construct. My daughter says I'm being close minded because I see gender as binary. I disagree. I don't care if a guy decides to wear a dress and identify as a her [[though as a grammar nerd when they identify as they/them it makes me crazy), I don't quite understand what they're going through, but I would never try to tell them they can't go through it.

Here's something that kind of blows my mind: my daughter has a friend who is a bio female/trans male. He is absolutely beautiful. Even when he identifies as a guy and wears guy cloths, straight cis guys are always hitting on him. His girlfriend is a bio male/trans female.

My apologies if my ignorance offends anyone. Believe me, I never thought I would be old and not "woke."

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    I have to confess, I'm lost on the whole "gender is a social construct" thing. I see gender as a genetic construct. My daughter says I'm being close minded because I see gender as binary. I disagree. I don't care if a guy decides to wear a dress and identify as a her [[though as a grammar nerd when they identify as they/them it makes me crazy), I don't quite understand what they're going through, but I would never try to tell them they can't go through it.

Here's something that kind of blows my mind: my daughter has a friend who is a bio female/trans male. He is absolutely beautiful. Even when he identifies as a guy and wears guy cloths, straight cis guys are always hitting on him. His girlfriend is a bio male/trans female.

My apologies if my ignorance offends anyone. Believe me, I never thought I would be old and not "woke."
    I don't see anything in your posts to apologize for........

My understanding is that 'sex' is binary, it refers to physiology and phenotypicity, hormones, genitals etc.

Overwhelmingly, sex, as defined above is male or female. It is worth noting that approximately 1 in 1500 children are born intersex possession some portion of the sexual reproductive marks of both sexes, and don't neatly fit the above definition.

Gender, on the other hand is generally intended to refer to those behaviors or outward-facing, non-physical, characteristics one chooses to adopt [[style of dress, use of make up, in some measure how one walks or talks and perhaps, but not necessarily, which sex one has an interest in romantically.

Based on the evidence of which I am aware, maleness or femaleness as referring to personality traits really aren't hard and fast........you tend to see most men line up at one end of a spectrum and most women the other but there is an overlap in varying degrees in the middle.

In the past, society would have simply described a 'tom boy' in reference to a girl who liked to work on cars or whatever......

While a male who was highly successful, but emotional might get a passive comment like 'gentle soul'; while a less successful individual might end up a sissy etc.

I think the push here is both to let people who don't squarely end up one side or the other choose how they wish to identify; and to generally push-back against pejorative stereotypes.

That said, I think the idea that gender is entirely a construct is a crock; as multiple, controlled academic studies have shown that most characteristics emerge even when actively worked against in early parenting.

[[boys are more aggressive, like things that move quickly, like to move themselves)

[[girls are more social, more oriented to other people, more communicative)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    I don't see anything in your posts to apologize for........

Overwhelmingly, sex, as defined above is male or female. It is worth noting that approximately 1 in 1500 children are born intersex possession some portion of the sexual reproductive marks of both sexes, and don't neatly fit the above definition.

Gender, on the other hand is generally intended to refer to those behaviors or outward-facing, non-physical, characteristics one chooses to adopt [[style of dress, use of make up, in some measure how one walks or talks and perhaps, but not necessarily, which sex one has an interest in romantically.
    This is how my kids have explained it as well.

It's alot of confusion out there made only worse with the new um' 'choices'. Unapologetically, I am not 'woke' for every progressive incoming societal value and view.

Part of the problem is feeling an obligation to agree with all of this, at the risk of being called intolerant or a hater. SMH!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-17-19 at 10:37 AM.