Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gingellgirl View Post
    North Detroit General was co-owned by Dr. Orekonde Ganesh, who drowned in his car in July 1996. http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=4462
    Thank you for digging up his name.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    St. John Northeast/Holy Cross [[Outer Drive & Van Dyke).
    Holy Cross started as St. Francis Hospital in Hamtramck, which is now City Hall.

9mile&seneca Guest

Thanks, Thafuzz

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Thanks, Thafuzz
    Art Center is next to the Detroit Institute of Arts, and I think they store [[or used to) some of the old historic records and stuff there. I was born there in 1956. It was an osteopathic hospital.
    Here's a little info and a picture I found"Attachment 2946

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Art Center is next to the Detroit Institute of Arts, and I think they store [[or used to) some of the old historic records and stuff there. I was born there in 1956. It was an osteopathic hospital.
    Here's a little info and a picture I found"Attachment 2946
    Thanks for the pic. I had never seen the place in which I too was born in. All I ever knew was that I was born here and that it closed sometime later.

I have been inside and photographed a couple....

The Detroit Osteopathic Hospital on Second Ave in Highland Park

The Southwest Detroit Hospital off Michigan Ave

When did St. Francis move and become Holy Cross? [[Which is now a Triumph Hospital, I think.) Did they have nuns as nurses? You hardly ever see that anymore.

I was born at Holy Cross, while my cousins were born at either Bon Secours or Saratoga. Are they still around? There was an Italian grocery store across the street from Saratoga, I wish I could remember the name of it. My dad got me some spumoni there when I got my tonsils taken out. Mmmmm!

It wasn't exactly in Detroit, but I was taken to Bi-County in an ambulance once. I can't remember where that was, though.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; September-04-09 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    It wasn't exactly in Detroit, but I was taken to Bi-County in an ambulance once. I can't remember where that was, though.
    10 Mile & Schoenherr in Warren.

Previously part of DOHC and then Horizon Health Systems along with Riverside in Trenton and DOH in Highland Park. Now part of Henry Ford Health.

EastSider Guest

When did St. Francis move and become Holy Cross? [[Which is now a Triumph Hospital, I think.) Did they have nuns as nurses? You hardly ever see that anymore.

I was born at Holy Cross, while my cousins were born at either Bon Secours or Saratoga. Are they still around? There was an Italian grocery store across the street from Saratoga, I wish I could remember the name of it. My dad got me some spumoni there when I got my tonsils taken out. Mmmmm!

St. Francis closed around 1970, give or take a few years. Holy Cross opened before then.

Bon Secours is still there, but it's now Beaumont Grosse Pointe.

Thanks Eastsider!

There was an Italian grocery store across the street from Saratoga, I wish I could remember the name of it. My dad got me some spumoni there when I got my tonsils taken out. Mmmmm!
    Was it Giglio's?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    Was it Giglio's?
    Started with an "L". Lambrusco's, Lombardi's...maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Thank you for digging up his name.

Holy Cross started as St. Francis Hospital in Hamtramck, which is now City Hall.
    Holy Cross on Outer Drive was at least open by September of 1951. St. Francis closed around 1969-70.