I agree with MSUguy and Bartocktoo...

I don't think many of the rest of you have really thought this thru....

First of all... there are a bazillion empty lots in the city... I don't think they are going to miss a few!

Second... these lots are already configured for all the underground utilities [[sewer, water gas, etc). No one is getting a $10K house if these all have to be replaced at great cost. Plus think about all the lot title work if these lot sizes were reconfigured. Each lot would look like one of those narrow ribbon farms we had in the 1700s.

Third... these folks can't afford a full sized home. Sure they can be had for nickels on the dollar... but what good are they if you can't afford to fix any problems they will eventually have due to age. 75% of all the garages in the city of Detroit need to be replaced... none of the existing homeowners can afford the $10K+ to replace them, why do you think one of these folks would be able to do so if they got a larger house for next to nothing. Then there's furnaces, roofs, windows, driveways... is this starting to make sense?

Fourth... many of the people who are getting these houses have little credit, no credit, or bad credit. Their only option would be to have low income apartments. Maybe they've had to live with loud neighbors/music all their lives, or aren't safe if they enter their hallway.

Fifth... as has been mentioned they NEVER have an opportunity to get any home equity. This is their only chance.