Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Mine was in Mass. about 20 yrs ago, and yeah, they'd just as soon bump you into a wall as let you get out of the circle. And someone above said the truth when they said they are few and far between here which makes it hard for non-locals to get used to them
    So true! I drove out there with a friend and we were warned about them. We took a "camcorder" and recorded it as we were trying to navigate it. I can still hear the honking and the east coast accents yelling out their car windows. Funniest part of the trip.

Have you seen this roundabout within a roundabout, split by 5 more roundabouts?

Name:  swindon_roundabout.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  81.3 KB
    The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGvj7GZSIo

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post

Name:  swindon_roundabout.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  81.3 KB
    Yikes! And they're driving from the passenger side. No thanks.

The selling point of roundabouts is that roundabout accidents are the fender-bender type - less likely to result in injuries and deaths. Apparently urban planners feel more accidents / fewer injuries and deaths is an acceptable trade-off. IMHO, any intersection that needs an educational video and downloadable instruction sheet is too damned complicated.
    Last edited by Pat001; May-18-19 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    The selling point of roundabouts is that roundabout accidents are the fender-bender type - less likely to result in injuries and deaths. Apparently urban planners feel more accidents / fewer injuries and deaths is an acceptable trade-off. IMHO, any intersection that needs an educational video and downloadable instruction sheet is too damned complicated.
    No "like" button so

they'd just as soon bump you into a wall as let you get out of the circle.
    So, like NASCAR?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So, like NASCAR?
    Kinda. Actually driving around Boston is like that even not in a roundabout. But if you're a pedestrian, you have carte blanche

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    I think roundabouts are more of a tradition some people don't want to give up. They date back to times when people were riding horses or getting pulled in buggies. They probably made a lot more sense then. Today they're a bad idea, especially the ones with stop lights at the intersections. The primary purpose behind them was to make stopping unnecessary.
    Last edited by bust; May-19-19 at 10:00 AM.

Roundabouts were very hard for me initially and I have been a very competent driver for sometimes, driving stick shifts, vans, sedans etc.

It took me understanding the lane mechanics to get it. Such as the outer lane of a two-lane roundabout means you need to be in the outer one if you want to make a right OR go straight. The inner lane for complete left. Once I go that things improved. I think some are not yielding either before entering a roundabout. Or they stop mid-way.

Once mastered roundabouts are actually smooth sailing. Better than the long lights and green arrows at big intersections. But LOOK OUT carefully, as they're plenty of folk who just don't know how to drive a roundabout at any level. And the double lane ones are prone to wrecks if you don't get which lane you need to be driving in!

Also my 'Waze' GPS was nuts, adding to the confusion. For example saying 'turn right' to go thru the roundabout, when I needed ultimately to go THRU, not turn. I know I need to angle right to go into one. Not 'turn'! If I am needing GPS for an unknown area with a roundabout now I just ignore the added verbiage.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-19-19 at 10:14 AM.

I gather this is suppose to be faster? I guess it makes sense but I'd never attempt to drive over there. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post

Add:

#21: Woodward and Warren, Detroit MI Fun left turning off Warren to N. Woodward at say 4:15 PM weekdays! ----

Hah! How's about Davison and Livernois, or Seven Mile and Greenfield? Uh, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    There was talk of making 12 mile and telegraph a roundabout.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-19-19 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm curious to see how #5 on this list [[Big Beaver & I-75) will do when they reconfigure the interchange... this may likely freak out some drivers as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsgTbaeMU3M
    Actually, I-75/Big Beaver is supposed to be reconfigured as a diverging diamond interchange similar to that at I-75 and University Drive in Auburn Hills.

See also: The project site's information page.
    Last edited by 248lurker; May-19-19 at 03:24 PM.

The huge roundabout at 18 1/2 Mile and Van Dyke is to get M-53 Freeway traffic from the freeway over to Mound Rd. faster. From what I have heard there is no longer any backup onto the freeway because of the installation of that roundabout during rush hour. Freeway backup can generate worse traffic accidents than the roundabout fender benders.

The roundabouts that I find peculiar are the ones on Utica Rd. [[near 17 Mile Rd.) in Sterling Heights, and Romeo Plank Road [[near 19 Mile Rd.) in Clinton Township. Both of those are 2 roundabouts separated by about 1000 ft. You hurdled one and are immediately thrust into a 2nd one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I gather this is suppose to be faster? I guess it makes sense but I'd never attempt to drive over there. Ever.
    It makes a lot more sense if you follow one vehicle from entry to exit.

Also, here's a video of 13 crazy roundabouts - and Michigan has two:
    - M-5/Pontiac Trail, mostly because of Google maps confusion
    - US-23 and Lee Rd., with 3 mini circles in a row. I navigated 2 2/3 correctly, then got dumped on the highway and went home.

Mine was in Mass. about 20 yrs ago, and yeah, they'd just as soon bump you into a wall as let you get out of the circle. And someone above said the truth when they said they are few and far between here which makes it hard for non-locals to get used to them

IDENTICAL story, same place, same time frame. We were on vacation, touring the New England states, had a van full of people, and hit this thing in the a.m., during rush hour. I was in the center lane. About the second time around, I figured out what to do. The problem was people were trying to get to work, and weren't going to let me into the right lane, blinker or no blinker. After about a dozen circles, I had enough Boston rudeness, and took matters into my own hands. All I can say is beemers have good brakes. Beautiful country out there, highly recommend trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I drove #7 daily for years and I don't remember seeing many, if any accidents there. Telegraph goes over, Jeffries goes under. The four crossing points are essentially one way in each direction since the roads are fully divided.

Maybe rear end accidents from people not stopping behind traffic?
    I drove through this intersection every day going to work from 1999 to 2008 [[WB I-96 to NB Telegraph and the reverse in the evening).

Lots of red-light running, and people not respecting lanes. My only accident in the last 30 years occurred here when a befuddled elderly lady ran the SB service drive light and nailed the left rear quarter of my car.

Looks like the Brits are having trouble with their roundabouts as well.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lorry-spil...155812386.html

If I were driving a motorcycle I'd avoid roundabouts.

The problem with this list is that it just represents total number of crashes at an intersection, and doesn’t take into account crashes per vehicle or injuries per intersection.

Roundabouts, especially multilane ones, will have higher crash rates... but they are pretty much all just non-injury fender benders. Contrast that with a typical signalized intersection with T-bone type crashes and Ambulance visits. Maybe it is just me, but I consider likelihood of the crash causing injury or death to be more dangerous than a bunch of no-injury fender benders.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Looks like the Brits are having trouble with their roundabouts as well.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lorry-spil...155812386.html
    Clicked on the link, and yet another disclaimer to open my device and life to a random website, so they can enhance my experience.
    We don't have one "Big Brother", we have hundreds of thousands of them. And more every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Clicked on the link, and yet another disclaimer to open my device and life to a random website, so they can enhance my experience.
    We don't have one "Big Brother", we have hundreds of thousands of them. And more every day.

I just clicked on the news article I posted and it took me straight to Yahoo UK News, to the article. It sounds like your device may already be infected with some sort of malware. You might want to have the Geek Squad take a look @ it.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-28-19 at 09:31 AM.

I think Bigb23's referring to the popup asking the user to grant "Oath" permission to use their data for marketing. It says "Yahoo is part of Oath." There is no opt-out option. It's annoying but relatively benign — until it isn't.

Honky Tonk probably already clicked it so it doesn't show up anymore for him.

Someday users will revolt by deliberately supplying marketers with false information. That should be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I think Bigb23's referring to the popup asking the user to grant "Oath" permission to use their data for marketing. It says "Yahoo is part of Oath." There is no opt-out option. It's annoying but relatively benign — until it isn't.

Honky Tonk probably already clicked it so it doesn't show up anymore for him.

Someday users will revolt by deliberately supplying marketers with false information. That should be funny.
    I never got a pop-up from "Oath" the first time, or any subsequent time, I looked @ the article. If I had, a.) I wouldn't have let the big Oath have any of my information, b.) I wouldn't have posted the link in a public forum.

Try this link from the Northampton Chronicle. Same story as Yahoo UK News.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/n...road-1-8939909

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast