Joe Louis Arena Demolition
JOE LOUIS ARENA DEMOLITION »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 47 of 47
  1. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Possibility: POTENTIAL Safety CITATION

    Its unfair to assume that any CITATION written really means there's a safety problem. It just means an inspector found something that wasn't 100% to the book. Inspectors often don't care so much about actual safety -- but are rewarded for finding something they can CITE as a violation of the rules. I always hear that this or that plant had a dozen safety violations as argument that they were an unsafe workplace. Violations don't mean that.

    I've dealt with OSHA. Once they decide to inspect a job site, you will probably get a violation. There are so many rules, that complete compliance is an impossibility. So inspectors easily find something. Sometimes deserved, but often just technical violations -- such as signage not being in place, or some railing somewhere that isn't 100% in compliance.

    There's no advantage in letting photos out. And a lot of potential disadvantages -- POTENTIAL safety citations are just one.

    (Nothing in this post is intended to say that safety isn't really important. We've done a great job in the first world to create a pretty safe workplace for everyone. But also realize that safety has its costs. Why is housing unaffordable to many? Partly because we require a lot of safety in how we design and construct homes. I think that's mostly good. But we shouldn't complain when our homes cost twice per s.f. as one in, say, Brazil.)
    Nice try. A CITATION is issued when a VIOLATION is observed. I've worked with OSHA also and have taken OSHA training (10 & 30).
    Poor baby: "My house costs too much because no one got hurt/killed building it". Sheesh.

  2. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Possibility: POTENTIAL Safety CITATION

    Its unfair to assume that any CITATION written really means there's a safety problem. It just means an inspector found something that wasn't 100% to the book. Inspectors often don't care so much about actual safety -- but are rewarded for finding something they can CITE as a violation of the rules. I always hear that this or that plant had a dozen safety violations as argument that they were an unsafe workplace. Violations don't mean that.

    I've dealt with OSHA. Once they decide to inspect a job site, you will probably get a violation. There are so many rules, that complete compliance is an impossibility. So inspectors easily find something. Sometimes deserved, but often just technical violations -- such as signage not being in place, or some railing somewhere that isn't 100% in compliance.

    There's no advantage in letting photos out. And a lot of potential disadvantages -- POTENTIAL safety citations are just one.
    Honestly WM, with a project of this magnitude and publicity, I find it hard to believe OSHA isn't aware of it and doing regular inspections to make sure things are on the up and up. This isn't someone taking down an old storage shed in their backyard. I don't think the Joe demolition is going on under the cover of darkness.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-20-19 at 06:27 AM.

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I'm surprised as to why the demo company doesn't want images shown?

    Anyone have any insight as to why?
    Looking at the twitter comments it seems to have stirred emotions,as demolitions do.

    It was probably based more on complaints verses the demo companies wishes.

  4. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It was probably based more on complaints verses the demo companies wishes.
    What about the Detroit media sites, though? The newspapers and TV took the images down because they were too much for sensitive eyes?

  5. #30

    Default

    The original poster probably didn't have permission to take and post the pictures. He/she was probably told they would lose their job if they didn't remove them. That would happen to many people if they posted pictures of their work products.

    The news outlets probably removed the pictures due to copyright issues. They didn't own the copyright to the pictures.

  6. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    The original poster probably didn't have permission to take and post the pictures. He/she was probably told they would lose their job if they didn't remove them. That would happen to many people if they posted pictures of their work products.

    The news outlets probably removed the pictures due to copyright issues. They didn't own the copyright to the pictures.
    I think you're wrong. I think there's an alien spacecraft buried in the center of JLA. It was about to be unearthed and moved to an undisclosed location. THAT'S why the photos were taken down, the government.

  7. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    What about the Detroit media sites, though? The newspapers and TV took the images down because they were too much for sensitive eyes?
    You know how it is these days,all it takes is one to be offended and the world must change to suit.

    I think Hoffa was moved there before the other place was demolished and they do not want anybody to know.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Then again, some folks don't get offended, and don't change.
    They don't bow, or kowtow, or go spineless like jellyfish.

  9. #34

    Default

    Only the Skeleton of the Joe Louis Arena remains. View from the TCF [fka Cobo] Arena roof last week.

    Name:  Joe-Louis-Arena-demo.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  75.9 KB
    Click image for larger view.

  10. #35

    Default

    Sad.
    Is that some kind of room/office on the center beam which would back been above center ice? Maybe utilities? Kind of a strange spot for a room in an arena even if it did house utilities.

  11. #36

    Default

    Here is a shot I snapped from the People Mover on 10/10/19.

    Name:  2019-10-10 14.04.17.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  140.1 KB

  12. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Here is a shot I snapped from the People Mover on 10/10/19.

    Name:  2019-10-10 14.04.17.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  140.1 KB
    I am a bit surprised how fantastic JLA being gone looks aesthetically downtown. Clear view of the water now.

  13. #38

    Default

    Has there been any movement on what will go there or will it just be a vacant lot for the foreseeable future?

  14. #39

    Default

    I wonder what will happen immediately when all the debris is cleared. the JLA parking garage remains, yes? what about the walkways leading to it?

  15. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    I am a bit surprised how fantastic JLA being gone looks aesthetically downtown. Clear view of the water now.
    So...eliminate a barrier to the river, and then be surprised at how much more fantastic the river view is? Thanks Captain Obvious ;-)

  16. #41

    Default

    I remember when the first time I went to the Joe in 1980. It was brand new. Now it will be long gone.

  17. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I remember when the first time I went to the Joe in 1980. It was brand new. Now it will be long gone.
    They built it so bare bones, I have to imagine it looked run down within a very short time, especially after the top-of-the-line Palace opened barely a decade later.

  18. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Sad.
    Is that some kind of room/office on the center beam which would back been above center ice? Maybe utilities? Kind of a strange spot for a room in an arena even if it did house utilities.
    I was walking around it last weekend and it looked like that square metal "tube" that ran the length of the arena held a hallway of offices inside it. There didn't appear to be any major wiring or plumbing up there so I assume they were some kind of admin offices for the arena itself.

  19. #44

    Default

    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...it/4088383002/

    Just shows what we all thought, that this site has very little value. What other city could you get that much downtown riverfront land for $14 million?

  20. #45

    Default

    ^ I would not call this downtown. it's an extremely isolated site that needs major work and significant infrastructure overhaul.

  21. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    ^ I would not call this downtown. it's an extremely isolated site that needs major work and significant infrastructure overhaul.
    It's definitely downtown. That's the point though. As we've discussed many times, it's a terrible site despite being on the river. Maybe what they really wanted was to get their hands on a 3,000 space garage.

  22. #47

    Default

    I think it may be a decent spot for that aquarium idea that was floating around a couple of years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.