Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Pullman Parc

Hybrid View

Well I guess it’s good that something is being built there, the design and the term used above as “value engineered” is an understatement, they have been reimagined in a rather simple form, probably to fit the market ..price points, and the unbelievable cost of lumber etc. right now. I’m still curious what happened to Lafayette West on the other side of the Mies townhouses , if its ever going to happen. I never did quite understand the naming of it being Lafayette West, considering it’s right near East Lafayette.The last rendering that I saw was kind of sad looking, almost look like subsidized housing. Too bad the original concept will never be built. These developments, at least on the near east side of downtown, seem to always have Mercedes visions, and end up with a Chevrolet result.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Well I guess it’s good that something is being built there, the design and the term used above as “value engineered” is an understatement, they have been reimagined in a rather simple form, probably to fit the market ..price points, and the unbelievable cost of lumber etc. right now. I’m still curious what happened to Lafayette West on the other side of the Mies townhouses , if its ever going to happen. I never did quite understand the naming of it being Lafayette West, considering it’s right near East Lafayette.The last rendering that I saw was kind of sad looking, almost look like subsidized housing. Too bad the original concept will never be built. These developments, at least on the near east side of downtown, seem to always have Mercedes visions, and end up with a Chevrolet result.
    I thought Lafayette West made enough sense, being the far west end of Lafayette Park. The most recent plans I saw from the April 2021 public meeting looked pretty good actually – seeming to be adapting to the new grid layout of the I-375 replacement project [[Nicolet Place runs through it to anticipate a direct connection to Clinton St. downtown).

The plans aren't for as tall of a thing as I was hoping for, but I dig the modular black buildings and moderate density. With the right landscaping and flora it should gel with the rest of LP.

The new Pullman Parc on the other hand – pretty forgettable.

Interesting that they chose the Checker Building at Elton Park to show through the windows of some of those new interior renderings. Seems like it'd make more sense to show what the surroundings actually look like or some kind of filler like leaves or something.

I'm hoping they don't change the size/height of the apartment building too much. The original design wasn't amazing but the dimensions were good for the site I thought.