Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PCE View Post
    I've always been fond of both the Detroiter and Jacoby's.
    Potato pancakes. Mmmm
    Jacoby's--Erdinger beer. Yum.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Not much of a difference, a lot of things mentioned about Chicago in this thread parallel Ann Arbor. Case in point:

http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-be...ar-in-the-city

Ann Arbor people and U of M fans like to believe their city is world class too.

------

As far as best bars in the "loop" [[[[[[ baggery is greatest at Old Sheleighly.

Ann Arbor certainly does have an inflated sense of itself.That aside there are many Um alumni clubs all over Nyc Chicago LA Detroit so your point is a bit off.

Anyhow it is amusing to watch the inferiority complex play out on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    I'll possibly concede Um but Nw borders the city of chicago.

As for the rest of it....Not really caring if you take offense because you are about the most arrogant know it all condescending person on this whole damn forum........

If you Iheart honestly think that anyone with an ounce of objectivity believes that Detroit is comparable to Detroit in the nature we are discussing then you should ask for your money back from whatever college you went to.

For a highly intelligent person[[meant sincerely)it is an enigma to me why you persist on this fantasy about what Detroit really is.
    I will ignore the personal attacks to say that you are arguing against a point that I never tried to make. I have never once said that Detroit is anywhere near as well-functioning of a city as Chicago. I don't know where you read that -- or how you interpreted that from what I wrote -- but I'm explicitly saying this so that you won't go off on this tangent again.

Now listen closely to this next part, because this is most important. My entire point in responding to you was to prompt you to reevaluate your criteria of what exactly makes a city world class. You were listing all of these amenities that Chicago has yet you were ignorant that Detroit had an equivalent to what you mentioned. So if Detroit has all of these things that you supposedly believe makes a city world class [[by your definition), yet it is not great in your own eyes, then there must be some qualities of Chicago that exist yet is going unmentioned by you. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Oh, and Grand Boulevard, which makes a horseshoe shape around the inner city, is nicknamed "the loop". Someone is bound to get confused if they are trying to use the same name elsewhere.
    Should we mention that Outer Drive makes a sort of non-connected 'loop' too?

And to add to the Detroit/Chicago debate. I know someone who's lived in over a dozen U.S. cities and a couple foreign ones. They lived in Detroit for about 10 years, then moved to Chicago due to their job. They still consider Detroit 'home' and have a fondness for this gritty city. I lived in Detroit for half my life, and in the close suburbs for the other half. I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else. For all it's faults and problems, this is a great place/area to live.

Please don't jump down my throat, okay. These are just my opinions, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here.

I think cycledetroit might be my bar soulmate. If his or hers admiration of the lager house is because of the ping pong table. Then we are on the same page. The rest of the list is stellar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3