Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    You may have your preferences but that does not mean chicago is not a world city.

There are many universities, museums, ethnic area's , foreign embassy's, as I said the list goes on. All things that define a world city.

I wonder why it is so important to you to deny what is obvious. Chicago is a world city by most objective measures.So what. I still love Detroit. But I am willing to acknowledge what is fairly obvious.
    Well, in that case Detroit is a world class city.

Good Christ please take this inane bickering about cities to its own thread!! Quit threadjacking with your attempts to display your intellect on a topic not associated with the original posters question and just give him the name of a damn bar!!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That's a difference of opinion. I like Chicago, but I think it's burdened with the mission of being a WCC. Yeah, nice architecture, good downtown, good restaurants, fine bookstores, all the trappings of a WCC. But when it comes to culture, to my mind, Chicago is kind of ... lame? Imitative? Striving? A showplace for city as mall? Everything is shiny and costs money? All its bands try to do what other bands are doing, because they've got to be up-to-the-moment. Its art tends to be chi-chi and for the well-to-do. It lacks grit and character. Just my opinion: We produce more original culture in our backwater each year than they have since Carl Sandburg. And it's all because they've stagnated as a WCC for, as you put it, a "very, very, very long time."
    Case in point:

Will Chicago motorists tolerate having a chunk of the Magnificent Mile closed to traffic for nearly three days in exchange for the worldwide exposure talk show diva Oprah Winfrey will bring to Chicago by kicking off her 24th season at Michigan and Ohio?

Mayor Daley believes they will.

“This is a great thing we’re doing. I wish we could do this every day in Chicago. How many people it will employ. How much publicity we’ll receive throughout the world. It is unbelievable. You can’t even give us that exposure globally,” Daley said.

“She’s an icon in the industry. It’s very, very important. What other cities do it? Take New York City. Take Los Angeles. . .For the filming industry, they do this every day, unfortunately.”

But what about the inconvenience to motorists?

“They’ll understand how important this is, dealing with jobs, dealing with international exposure,” Daley said.
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...090109.article

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Good Christ please take this inane bickering about cities to its own thread!! Quit threadjacking with your attempts to display your intellect on a topic not associated with the original posters question and just give him the name of a damn bar!!
    God forbid we have a discussion that doesn't stick rigidly to the original question... A question that has already been answered multiple times in this thread, and answered dozens more in other threads to which to O/P has been directed towards.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    God forbid we have a discussion that doesn't stick rigidly to the original question... A question that has already been answered multiple times in this thread, and answered dozens more in other threads to which to O/P has been directed towards.
    Sticking to a particular point is the purpose of a thread. If you want to change the subject start your own thread and let others post an answer even if its been "heard" before. The "answered multiple times before" is your opinion. If twenty different postors suggest Cliff Bell's then that may indicate it's a really good bar to go to.

Sticking to a particular point is the purpose of a thread. If you want to change the subject start your own thread and let others post an answer even if its been "heard" before. The "answered multiple times before" is your opinion. If twenty different postors suggest Cliff Bell's then that may indicate it's a really good bar to go to.
    Hey, it's a discussion. Things are sort of free-form here. If you really are bothered by us talking about something else with a bearing on the discussion, "ignore" us, either using the site or using your MIND.

ziggyselbin Guest

Well, in that case Detroit is a world class city.
    Except you know Detroit is not a world class city.There is no Univ of Chicago there is no Northwestern Univ. There are no foreign embassy's in Detroit anymore.

There is no museum of science and industry or a navy pier etc, etc.

I mean honestly a city of somewhere around 800,000 with no grocery chains one theater and perhaps a meijer in it's future............is comparable to Chicago?

I still don't get it what is is so difficult for some of you to accept what is obvious to others?
    Last edited by ziggyselbin; September-02-09 at 12:26 PM.

I've always been fond of both the Detroiter and Jacoby's.
    Potato pancakes. Mmmm

Ziggy: I don't understand what your problem is. I SAID Chicago aspires to be a WCC and probably is a WCC. It's just that that's why it's staid and kinda sucks compared to my wild and woolly hometown. Or IMVHO at least.

ziggyselbin Guest

Ziggy: I don't understand what your problem is. I SAID Chicago aspires to be a WCC and probably is a WCC. It's just that that's why it's staid and kinda sucks compared to my wild and woolly hometown. Or IMVHO at least.
    Detnerd, From the inception of this forum in it's many lives there has been a tendency from many to lash out at anything [[another city in this case)perceived in any way to "be bigger" or better or more famous than Detroit. Imo that just shoots down any credibility.

I don't care that Chicago is a much bigger, more vibrant,cosmopolitan city than Detroit. But I accept that it is. Why can't others? Why can't you et,al love Detroit but accept that there are other cities with more to offer?

Detnerd, From the inception of this forum in it's many lives there has been a tendency from many to lash out at anything [[another city in this case)perceived in any way to "be bigger" or better or more famous than Detroit. Imo that just shoots down any credibility.

I don't care that Chicago is a much bigger, more vibrant,cosmopolitan city than Detroit. But I accept that it is. Why can't others? Why can't you et,al love Detroit but accept that there are other cities with more to offer?
    Dude, how many times to I have to say it? I'm not arguing with you. You want somebody to argue with, it should be easy enough to find them here. But it's pointless to argue with me about something I agree with you about.

Chicago is bigger than Detroit. In a lot of ways it's better than Detroit. But a Midwestern WCC isn't what turns my crank. Get it? If it were what floats my boat, I'd probably live there and not here.

Who's "lashing out" here, anyway?

I accept it, but the city still sucks. Or shall I say blows? [[windy city pun) With all of their sky scrappers looking like penises, either term seems fitting.
    Last edited by izzyindetroit; September-02-09 at 01:29 PM.

Hey, it's a discussion. Things are sort of free-form here. If you really are bothered by us talking about something else with a bearing on the discussion, "ignore" us, either using the site or using your MIND.
    ADD's a terrible thing Hey how's the MCS?? Which do you prefer, Lafayette or American? Unions, good or bad??

Now I understand how your mind works

Except you know Detroit is not a world class city.There is no Univ of Chicago there is no Northwestern Univ. There are no foreign embassy's in Detroit anymore.

There is no museum of science and industry or a navy pier etc, etc.

I mean honestly a city of somewhere around 800,000 with no grocery chains one theater and perhaps a meijer in it's future............is comparable to Chicago?

I still don't get it what is is so difficult for some of you to accept what is obvious to others?
    Oh, my bad. I didn't realize that having a museum of science and industry made one a world class city.

If you're going to use Northwestern as an example of a Chicago school, then why deny the University of Michigan to use as support for Detroit?

And for the record, Detroit does indeed have consulates [[Chicago doesn't have any embassies, only consulates -- embassies are in Washington). But yeah, keep talking...

Italian Consulate Detroit
    Address: Buhl Building, Suite 1840 535 Griswold Detroit, MI. 48226
    Telephone: [[313) 963-8560
    Fax: [[313) 963-8180

German Consulate Detroit
    Address: Edison Plaza, 660 Plaza Dr., Suite 2100, 48226
    Telephone: [[313) 962-6526

Lebanese Consulate Detroit
    Address: 1959, East Jefferson, Suite 400, MI 48207
    Telephone: [[313) 567-0233
    Fax: [[313) 567-8797

Canadian Consulate Detroit
    Address: 600 Renaissance Center, Suite 1100 Detroit, MI 482-43-1798
    Telephone: [[313) 567-2340
    Fax: [[313) 567-2164

Mexican Consulate Detroit
    Address: The Penobscot Building Bldg. 645 Griswold Ave. Fl. 43 Suite 4372 Detroit Mi., 48226
    Telephone: [[313) 964-45-15
    Fax: [[313) 964-45-22

Haitian Consulate Detroit
    Address: 1st National Bldg., Suite 2121, 48226
    Telephone: [[313) 965-7962
    Fax:

ADD's a terrible thing Hey how's the MCS?? Which do you prefer, Lafayette or American? Unions, good or bad??

Now I understand how your mind works
    Haha. I need some Focusin.

ziggyselbin Guest

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize that having a museum of science and industry made one a world class city.

If you're going to use Northwestern as an example of a Chicago school, then why deny the University of Michigan to use as support for Detroit?

And for the record, Detroit does indeed have consulates [[Chicago doesn't have any embassies, only consulates -- embassies are in Washington). But yeah, keep talking...

Italian Consulate Detroit
    Address: Buhl Building, Suite 1840 535 Griswold Detroit, MI. 48226
    Telephone: [[313) 963-8560
    Fax: [[313) 963-8180

German Consulate Detroit
    Address: Edison Plaza, 660 Plaza Dr., Suite 2100, 48226
    Telephone: [[313) 962-6526

Lebanese Consulate Detroit
    Address: 1959, East Jefferson, Suite 400, MI 48207
    Telephone: [[313) 567-0233
    Fax: [[313) 567-8797

Canadian Consulate Detroit
    Address: 600 Renaissance Center, Suite 1100 Detroit, MI 482-43-1798
    Telephone: [[313) 567-2340
    Fax: [[313) 567-2164

Mexican Consulate Detroit
    Address: The Penobscot Building Bldg. 645 Griswold Ave. Fl. 43 Suite 4372 Detroit Mi., 48226
    Telephone: [[313) 964-45-15
    Fax: [[313) 964-45-22

Haitian Consulate Detroit
    Address: 1st National Bldg., Suite 2121, 48226
    Telephone: [[313) 965-7962
    Fax:
    I'll possibly concede Um but Nw borders the city of chicago.

As for the rest of it....Not really caring if you take offense because you are about the most arrogant know it all condescending person on this whole damn forum........

If you Iheart honestly think that anyone with an ounce of objectivity believes that Detroit is comparable to Detroit in the nature we are discussing then you should ask for your money back from whatever college you went to.

For a highly intelligent person[[meant sincerely)it is an enigma to me why you persist on this fantasy about what Detroit really is.

This is the dumbest downtown bar thread ever.

Chicago is nice. I like the Shedd Aquarium very much.
    I love Detroit. I love that I have lived here for 38 years and still learn new things about the city and its history. I think it has a promising future if the people who care move that care into action. I love that I find new beauty in this city every time I find a new site or blog like "Redemption in Corktown" or "Buildings of Detroit" or "Tour de Hood" and "detroitblog" and any number of threads on this forum rights heres.
    I like Chicago. I love Detroit. That is sort of the end of the debate for me, personally.

As to the original question, I would be remiss if I did not put a shout out for Abick's ...however your film crew friends would have to be feeling adventurous and up for a bit of a drive, assuming they were staying downtown. By "bit of a drive", I mean it isn't walking distance from any stop along the people mover.
    Well worth the drive though, if they like checking out bars for more than just the cold beer that is served.

ziggyselbin Guest

That's a difference of opinion. I like Chicago, but I think it's burdened with the mission of being a WCC. Yeah, nice architecture, good downtown, good restaurants, fine bookstores, all the trappings of a WCC. But when it comes to culture, to my mind, Chicago is kind of ... lame? Imitative? Striving? A showplace for city as mall? Everything is shiny and costs money? All its bands try to do what other bands are doing, because they've got to be up-to-the-moment. Its art tends to be chi-chi and for the well-to-do. It lacks grit and character. Just my opinion: We produce more original culture in our backwater each year than they have since Carl Sandburg. And it's all because they've stagnated as a WCC for, as you put it, a "very, very, very long time."

How has Chicago stagnated? How do you define the word? It seems to me that Detroit is the definitive example of stagnation.

And what great original culture are you referring to? I am not being confrontational just curious.

What is grit and character? high crime? No grocery stores? No movie theaters?

Why is the need felt to discredit other cities to prop up Detroit?

I really hope we are not comparing Detroit to Chicago. Chicago is so overrated it makes me sick. It is full of pretentious trust fund kids that lack passion and desire and take everything for granted. Yeah I said and I am proud to say I like Detroit a lot better. Pittsburgh however does one up Detroit . In regards to what this post is all about, best Detroit bar in the "loop," well the answer lies in Cliff Bells. It is a relic, one of the few bars in Detroit that weekly patrons still gasp at the beautiful architecture that Cliff Bells exhibits, a great drink selection, along with in my mind the most knowledgeable bar staff in the city. [[Ask for Danny!) . Jacoby's is another gemstone, along with, if you can make it, D'Mongos, Enoteca and my favorite in Nancy's Whiskey, although it doesn't really constitute as being in the "loop." Nearly forgot about Butcher's Inn in Eastern Market!!
    Last edited by warsaw7; September-02-09 at 08:22 PM.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I really hope we are not comparing Detroit to Chicago. Chicago is so overrated it makes me sick. It is full of pretentious trust fund kids that lack passion and desire and take everything for granted. Yeah I said and I am proud to say I like Detroit a lot better. Pittsburgh however does one up Detroit . In regards to what this post is all about, best Detroit bar in the "loop," well the answer lies in Cliff Bells. It is a relic, one of the few bars in Detroit that weekly patrons still gasp at the beautiful architecture that Cliff Bells exhibits, a great drink selection, along with in my mind the most knowledgeable bar staff in the city. [[Ask for Danny!) . Jacoby's is another gemstone, along with, if you can make it, D'Mongos, Enoteca and my favorite in Nancy's Whiskey, although it doesn't really constitute as being in the "loop." Nearly forgot about Butcher's Inn in Eastern Market!!

For a minute there I thought you were describing ann arbor

I would go with:

Pulse - http://www.pulsedetroit.com
    The Well

I like them both. Pulse is more upscale and the Well is more a traditional bar. Both are very cool.

For a minute there I thought you were describing ann arbor
    Not much of a difference, a lot of things mentioned about Chicago in this thread parallel Ann Arbor. Case in point:

http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-be...ar-in-the-city

Ann Arbor people and U of M fans like to believe their city is world class too.

------

As far as best bars in the "loop" [[[[[[ baggery is greatest at Old Sheleighly.

DetroitDad Guest

Full list of bars in Downtown Detroit:

http://www.insidedetroit.org/virtual...entertainment/

You can stop by the Inside Detroit Welcome Center on Woodward, one block North of the 1001 Building for more information, as well as some cool Detroit souvenirs.

DetroitDad Guest

Oh, and Grand Boulevard, which makes a horseshoe shape around the inner city, is nicknamed "the loop". Someone is bound to get confused if they are trying to use the same name elsewhere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast