Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Best Bars "in the loop"

I know a few film crews coming to town and they ask the same questions including:

What are the best bars in the loop?

Kinda funny, they consider the People Mover our loop, but c'est la vie.

So, what are the best bars "in the loop" and why?

Gee, I hope we never call the CBD "the Loop." Imitating Chicago would be so lame ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Imitating Chicago would be so lame ...
    Yeah, having a thriving city, plus being attractive for young people to live, for tourists to visit, as well as employers to set up shop, and being known as a cultural and retail destination would be so totally lame.

Sierra, I'm talking about naming little things in Detroit in a cutesy way to try trading off the fame of Chicago, not having really good urban planning. No, imitating Chicago would be lame because it takes away from our unique history. Besides, Chicago's problem is that it's trying too hard to be a WCC [[world-class city). So just zip up your hard-on for Chi-town, OK?

ziggyselbin Guest

Sierra, I'm talking about naming little things in Detroit in a cutesy way to try trading off the fame of Chicago, not having really good urban planning. No, imitating Chicago would be lame because it takes away from our unique history. Besides, Chicago's problem is that it's trying too hard to be a WCC [[world-class city). So just zip up your hard-on for Chi-town, OK?

Chicago is a world class city and has been for a very very very long time.

Gee, I hope we never call the CBD "the Loop." Imitating Chicago would be so lame ...
    Calling it "The Loop" would just be lame.

But I would be all for a comprehensive public transit system that renames the awfully named "People Mover" the "Downtown Loop."

Okay, I'll just tell them the residents are too busy arguing with each other to give a good answer.

I mean about the bars, not the regional issues.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Okay, I'll just tell them the residents are too busy arguing with each other to give a good answer.

I mean about the bars, not the regional issues.
    Did you follow the link I posted. We basically had this discussion a few weeks ago. The link I posted was this forums answer to your question. Next time you may want to try reading the info that's already here.

The best bars in the CBD? That's sort of tough, though. Upscale? Gritty? Cool?

Probably the most upscale bar is the one up at Coach Insignia. Great views, and you don't have to take a gamble on their food, which some say is overpriced.

Grittiest? I kinda like the Anchor for grit, and old newspaperman's bar loaded with Detroit history.

Coolest? Cliff Bell's: hands down.

detroiter on beubean, detroit beer company on broadway, checker on cadiallac sq, the post on fort or jefferson, ...

the notion of "best" has no meaning without a context. what do you mean by best? Music? pricey or cheap, divey or elegant, laid back or sophisticated, ...

I highly recommend the Motor Bar in the Book Cadillac! Great atmosphere and always very lively when we've been in for drinks.

For networking buppie types, there's Flood's.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    I highly recommend the Motor Bar in the Book Cadillac! Great atmosphere and always very lively when we've been in for drinks.
    I stopped in with some friends a couple Fridays ago around 7 ish. for a quick drink on our way out for the night. also have been there for other events in the hotel and went up for a drink. In the handful of times I've been there we were the only ones there. Is it typically dead outside of post work/happy hour? didn't really mind though, service was great and drinks were generous..and not outrageously priced.

Forans, Park Bar, Cliff Bells, Dmongos, Lager House, LJs, Old Miami. Not all in the "loop" , but close enough.

The People Mover is as Deetroit as a name could be..... unless you drop the the to a da.....

Vivio's Eastern Market..Old Miami,Anchor Bar....Nancy Wiskeys for Music Sat night...and about 40 more

Thanks for the suggestions. I have passed them along.

It is interesting to see how visitors view Detroit. Their impression is that "in the loop" is safe and fun.

Word of mouth travels fast, right or wrong.

By the way, there are more cities than Chicago that have a downtown loop.
    Last edited by East Detroit; September-01-09 at 07:51 PM.

This is the dumbest downtown bar thread ever.

Chicago is nice. I like the Shedd Aquarium very much.
    I love Detroit. I love that I have lived here for 38 years and still learn new things about the city and its history. I think it has a promising future if the people who care move that care into action. I love that I find new beauty in this city every time I find a new site or blog like "Redemption in Corktown" or "Buildings of Detroit" or "Tour de Hood" and "detroitblog" and any number of threads on this forum rights heres.
    I like Chicago. I love Detroit. That is sort of the end of the debate for me, personally.

As to the original question, I would be remiss if I did not put a shout out for Abick's ...however your film crew friends would have to be feeling adventurous and up for a bit of a drive, assuming they were staying downtown. By "bit of a drive", I mean it isn't walking distance from any stop along the people mover.
    Well worth the drive though, if they like checking out bars for more than just the cold beer that is served.

I really hope we are not comparing Detroit to Chicago. Chicago is so overrated it makes me sick. It is full of pretentious trust fund kids that lack passion and desire and take everything for granted. Yeah I said and I am proud to say I like Detroit a lot better. Pittsburgh however does one up Detroit . In regards to what this post is all about, best Detroit bar in the "loop," well the answer lies in Cliff Bells. It is a relic, one of the few bars in Detroit that weekly patrons still gasp at the beautiful architecture that Cliff Bells exhibits, a great drink selection, along with in my mind the most knowledgeable bar staff in the city. [[Ask for Danny!) . Jacoby's is another gemstone, along with, if you can make it, D'Mongos, Enoteca and my favorite in Nancy's Whiskey, although it doesn't really constitute as being in the "loop." Nearly forgot about Butcher's Inn in Eastern Market!!
    Last edited by warsaw7; September-02-09 at 08:22 PM.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I really hope we are not comparing Detroit to Chicago. Chicago is so overrated it makes me sick. It is full of pretentious trust fund kids that lack passion and desire and take everything for granted. Yeah I said and I am proud to say I like Detroit a lot better. Pittsburgh however does one up Detroit . In regards to what this post is all about, best Detroit bar in the "loop," well the answer lies in Cliff Bells. It is a relic, one of the few bars in Detroit that weekly patrons still gasp at the beautiful architecture that Cliff Bells exhibits, a great drink selection, along with in my mind the most knowledgeable bar staff in the city. [[Ask for Danny!) . Jacoby's is another gemstone, along with, if you can make it, D'Mongos, Enoteca and my favorite in Nancy's Whiskey, although it doesn't really constitute as being in the "loop." Nearly forgot about Butcher's Inn in Eastern Market!!

For a minute there I thought you were describing ann arbor

I would go with:

Pulse - http://www.pulsedetroit.com
    The Well

I like them both. Pulse is more upscale and the Well is more a traditional bar. Both are very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    For a minute there I thought you were describing ann arbor
    Not much of a difference, a lot of things mentioned about Chicago in this thread parallel Ann Arbor. Case in point:

http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-be...ar-in-the-city

Ann Arbor people and U of M fans like to believe their city is world class too.

------

As far as best bars in the "loop" [[[[[[ baggery is greatest at Old Sheleighly.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Not much of a difference, a lot of things mentioned about Chicago in this thread parallel Ann Arbor. Case in point:

http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-be...ar-in-the-city

Ann Arbor people and U of M fans like to believe their city is world class too.

------

As far as best bars in the "loop" [[[[[[ baggery is greatest at Old Sheleighly.

Ann Arbor certainly does have an inflated sense of itself.That aside there are many Um alumni clubs all over Nyc Chicago LA Detroit so your point is a bit off.

Anyhow it is amusing to watch the inferiority complex play out on this thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast