Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I'm still trying to figure out how trading the best CB we've had in a generation makes us a better team.

We've beaten and lost to who we're supposed to so far this season, and even the worst skeptics [[that's me) would have to admit that every game has been very entertaining to watch. They've also proven they're not a playoff team. The NFL hasn't changed that much. If you can't run or stop the run, there isn't much good that's going to happen to you.

The trading of Diggs hurt team morale because he conquered himself. He was an over-achiever, and his teammates witnessed him work hard and improve his game. He earned his role and place on the team. He had a slow start this year, but so did all of his defensive teammates. Point being, I don't think one guy on that defense thinks any different than Slay about that trade...he just had the nerve and capital to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    He had a slow start this year, but so did all of his defensive teammates.
    Therein lies the problem. A slow start over seven games is something that can be overcome in other professional sports [[baseball, hockey, basketball), but the same slow start in the NFL means that basically half the season is in the books. Bottom line, teams or units on a team cannot afford such slow starts. Teams that win figure out a way not to have them.

Who knows? Maybe the trade of Diggs was a way to try to send a message to the other men on that defense telling them that a seven game 'slow start' is simply not acceptable, and that the players will be held accountable.

I remember when Bobby Ross would rant and rave [["I don't coach that stuff!") after games when the players failed to execute anything that they had learned during practice that week. All the screaming and hollering did nothing to get those players to step it up. There's only so many times a coach can repeat the same thing over and over before he has to try a different way to get his message through.