Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    What a lame defense of the indefensible. It was every bit as wrong then as it is today. ...snip...
    In 2060, I wonder how today's self-righteous will be judged.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    In 2060, I wonder how today's self-righteous will be judged.
    Who knows, but what we do know is that thinly veiled excuses for racial intolerance will still be heinous and that those who perpetuate racial hatred will be considered assholes.

Just like today.

And yesterday.

And decades ago.

The assholery doesn’t change but the language does.

Oh, another thing that changes a little is when bullies pretend their feelings are hurt and lash out their tiny fists against self-righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Who knows, but what we do know is that thinly veiled excuses for racial intolerance will still be heinous and that those who perpetuate racial hatred will be considered assholes.

Just like today.

And yesterday.

And decades ago.

The assholery doesn’t change but the language does.

Oh, another thing that changes a little is when bullies pretend their feelings are hurt and lash out their tiny fists against self-righteousness.
    "Same as it ever was."

Albert Cobo's name should not be in the convention center. His name should be erased from all city owned properties.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    "Same as it ever was."
    "Same as it ever was."

Good but too bad it is a corporate name. Barf.

I always reflect on how only a handful of ballparks had corporate names 25 years ago. Now all but a handful don't.

I can't say life is better now than then, since we've globalized and corporatized and monetized literally everything, but whatever. I digress.

Despite the dude being bad...like City Airport...like the Sears Tower...it will always be Cobo.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Despite the dude being bad...like City Airport...like the Sears Tower...it will always be Cobo.
    Poobert speaks wisely. Until they tore it down and beyond, I always called it Briggs Stadium. But I'm old so I'm allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Good but too bad it is a corporate name. Barf.

I always reflect on how only a handful of ballparks had corporate names 25 years ago. Now all but a handful don't.

I can't say life is better now than then, since we've globalized and corporatized and monetized literally everything, but whatever. I digress.
    Not a fan of that evil trend at all.

So this is a 22 year deal...I'll bet the TCF name won't be still around in even 10 years. I guess the organizations with money to spend on naming rights inevitably are corporations. Wouldn't it be nice, though, if a corporation pays the same amount of money, but then tells the city/governmental authority that the choice of name will be left to the city? Then it would be a nice philanthropical donation, instead of just advertising. One can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    So this is a 22 year deal...I'll bet the TCF name won't be still around in even 10 years. I guess the organizations with money to spend on naming rights inevitably are corporations. Wouldn't it be nice, though, if a corporation pays the same amount of money, but then tells the city/governmental authority that the choice of name will be left to the city? Then it would be a nice philanthropical donation, instead of just advertising. One can dream.
    This whole trend to initials, from car names to banks and other corporations is really annoying. I don't know why they think there's commercial value in it. I'm picturing a Mad Men episode where they need a name that reflects the value and integrity of a brand and the boss says "Screw it. Let's just call it TCF and go get a drink."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2