Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thank you PCE, it's an incredibly wonderful thing to just stop and enjoy the beauty in the world.

I love kitties. When my last two died in the fall and winter a couple years ago, I couldn't get one right away. Husband was anxious to get a dog after twenty years of cats. We went to a rescue shelter and that's all she wrote. Our dog is two now and she is a joy. We missed her puppyhood, but I am sure she was adorable. I still want a cat, but Ginger votes no.

I agree kittens are wonderful fun, and not having to clean up messes really increases their score on the great pet scale. Dogs, on the other hand, tend to be little fountains of love, and for that they are just irreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I agree kittens are wonderful fun, and not having to clean up messes really increases their score on the great pet scale. Dogs, on the other hand, tend to be little fountains of love, and for that they are just irreplaceable.
    when a kitty sneaks up to you and sorta head buts you with that little motor going...that is love without the fountain of slobber. I love dogs, would love to have both. cats just get a bad rap on the affection front, you just kinda hafta earn it from them

Oh, I had a velcro cat. He was 100% pure love. I really miss him. My dog fortunately is not a drooler. That might make a difference if she did.

I've had a rabbit, cat, and a few dogs. Rabbits are cute to look at, like a piece of art. Cats are sneaky, but easier to care for, while dogs are most like caring for a young child. I would love a dog, but I am not ready for all the responsibility again.

I've never had a cat nor much cared for them until recently. My girlfriend has a 5 year old cat that is quite kitten like. Very playful and very affectionate. She likes to climb up on my lap and purr. I find this quite soothing. We have grown very close.
    Last edited by PCE; September-02-09 at 09:41 PM.

Critters I have known:

2 dogs
    3 cats
    50-60 pygmy hamsters [[yes, i got a "matched set" and they had kids. more than paid for themselves)
    a gecko
    an iguana [[gave it to a friend 10 years ago, it is allegedly still alive)
    a guinea pig

critters I have helped rehab
    raccoons
    two peregrines
    an oppossum
    a lynx

ccbatson Guest

Currently we have 3 dogs, 1 gerbil, and 1 hamster in the family.

My cat THINKS he's a dog.

ccbatson Guest

Sure he does....more likely you would like to believe he is a dog.

cheddar bob Guest

I am down to just my English Setter. I don't think I'll be having any more pets in the near future.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    I am down to just my English Setter. I don't think I'll be having any more pets in the near future.
    No animals in the Lodgedodger household. We're waiting until I decide to retire.

thanks for that "velcro cat" comment. Last week the "fearless five" discovered they could climb my pant legs to get my attention. My mail lady laughed her ass off when I came to the door with 4 kittens firmly attached to my legs.

I think I'll be quite sad when their new "parents"come to claim them, as they have been such a delight these last two months.

Still have a couple to claim, if anyone wants an orange furball full of energy.

Did your rabbit die? I'm sorry if he did.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Did your rabbit die? I'm sorry if he did.
    Yes. July 29. In the 10 years he was with me, he outlived nearly all other relationships [[my wife being the only one he didn't) and was always there with me. He is very much missed.

I came to the door with 4 kittens firmly attached to my legs.

What a great image, makes me smile and think warm fuzzy thoughts. I want a kitty. Ginger still says no.

cheddar bob Guest

I came to the door with 4 kittens firmly attached to my legs.

What a great image, makes me smile and think warm fuzzy thoughts. I want a kitty. Ginger still says no.
    The dog can't talk. I don't offer the dog a chance to dictate decisions. My dog has one of the strongest hunting instincts of any dog I've ever seen [[and I grew up raising and training hunting dogs), and she lived and slept side-by-side with the rabbit. Sometimes I would leave and forget to seperate the two, only to come home and find them both sleeping on the couch. She knew where she ranked in the hierarchy of the household and she knew where the rabbit ranked, which was significantly higher.

I hope for such things. Ginger definitely has a vote here because she is a total maniac when cats come around. I want her to settle down some more before I try it. Maybe she is getting there. She cornered and pinned a half grown rabbit in the yard and didn't kill it. I took her away and the petrified rabbit was able to make its escape.

cheddar bob Guest

Attachment 2940
    This is a dog that will stand outside from 8am to 8pm looking for any animal to point. When this type of dog points something, it is because they consider it prey. She never once pointed the rabbit.

cheddar bob Guest

I hope for such things. Ginger definitely has a vote here because she is a total maniac when cats come around. I want her to settle down some more before I try it. Maybe she is getting there. She cornered and pinned a half grown rabbit in the yard and didn't kill it. I took her away and the petrified rabbit was able to make its escape.
    The dog will understand pretty quickly that an indoor cat is a member of the household, and not a playtoy. Your level of strictness on the subject should be in direct proportion to how well she accepts another animal. Sometimes cats will establish their position in relation to the dog themselves and you won't have to do anything.

That's hopeful. I keep walking by the kitties at Petsmart and wishing.

LodgeDodger Guest

[quote=cheddar bob;63929]Attachment 2940
    This is a dog that will stand outside from 8am to 8pm looking for any animal to point. When this type of dog points something, it is because they consider it prey. She never once pointed the rabbit.[/quote]

Because da bunny is her family.

My dog has one of the strongest hunting instincts of any dog I've ever seen [[and I grew up raising and training hunting dogs), and she lived and slept side-by-side with the rabbit. Sometimes I would leave and forget to seperate the two, only to come home and find them both sleeping on the couch
    That was a brave bunny. RIP.

ccbatson Guest

The Alpha [[you) established that the rabbit was not prey and that the dog was not alpha over the owner respecting the authority not to go after the rabbit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast