Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Broght up between Glen Miller and Classical, I never could understand why in the world anyone cares for jazz......unless he/she has had a half dozen beers at best. You have four, five, or six musicians, each playing their own song in their own way, and rarely does the sound seem musical.

Yes, I'm a friggin' snob. And I truly wish I could find some musical 'genius' in this jazz BS, but so far, no go.

Take your shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I just tried x3, keep getting "playback error"?
    Still working fine on my end. Depending on your browser, you may have to see if there's a way to enable pop-ups. And you'll have to push play since it doesn't start automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    We can get a lot of radio from elsewhere on the internet. If you want it live the WRTI jazz channel is my favorite 24/7. Over the air there's Ed Love on WDET, and sometimes there's 91.7 [Ann Arbor] and 90.5 [E. Lansing] if you can get them.
    Good choices, but not quite the same. WDET probably comes the closest to having Detroit flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You might like Jazz24 out of Seattle.

https://www.jazz24.org/about/?gclid=...SAAEgJ-HvD_BwE
    That's fine, but the Detroit station is aimed at Detroit audiences wanting smooth Detroit sounds [[i.e. Alexander Zonjic).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

Thanks for sharing. Will look into it. That song is on the playlist too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdjack View Post
    Still working fine on my end. Depending on your browser, you may have to see if there's a way to enable pop-ups. And you'll have to push play since it doesn't start automatically.
    Just tried again with pop-up blockers turned off, same result.

I am more for traditional, non commercial jazz - and the various of styles within the genre provide many options. Especially online. Forget 'shots' ala the negative stuff, but have you ever listened to the early works [or even the later] of Louis Armstrong? Or any Duke Ellington's [who was strongly against having his music called/ defined as 'jazz'] offerings such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCQfTNOC5aE

In any case music and the appreciation therein is personal. I'm not a big fan of 'smooth' jazz, but as background music I prefer it playing at the mall or elevator over crass, angry music filled w/ profanity/ angst. Too much of that is now presented as default background music IMO. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Broght up between Glen Miller and Classical, I never could understand why in the world anyone cares for jazz......unless he/she has had a half dozen beers at best. You have four, five, or six musicians, each playing their own song in their own way, and rarely does the sound seem musical.

Yes, I'm a friggin' snob. And I truly wish I could find some musical 'genius' in this jazz BS, but so far, no go.

Take your shots.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-16-21 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Just tried again with pop-up blockers turned off, same result.
    Try this: http://vip2.fastcast4u.com:2199/start/sjdetroit

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I am more for traditional, non commercial jazz - and the various of styles within the genre provide many options. Especially online. Forget 'shots' ala the negative stuff, but have you ever listened to the early works [or even the later] of Louis Armstrong? Or any Duke Ellington's [who was strongly against having his music called/ defined as 'jazz'] offerings such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCQfTNOC5aE

In any case music and the appreciation therein is personal. I'm not a big fan of 'smooth' jazz, but as background music I prefer it playing at the mall or elevator over crass, angry music filled w/ profanity/ angst. Too of that is now presented as default background music IMO. No thanks.
    This is one if not the main reason this genere was introduced to radio decades ago. It has lost the interest of advertisers for whatever weak reason but its loyal audience remains.

As I recommended previously KJZZ [[KJazz) out of Los Angeles is an excellent jazz station with no commercials. An app is available for streaming.

Topsy Part II. Hey Daddy-Oh, that cool cat is wailin' on the skins!

Name:  topsya [[2).jpg
Views: 302
Size:  287.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    As I recommended previously KJZZ [[KJazz) out of Los Angeles is an excellent jazz station with no commercials. An app is available for streaming.
    That's Los Angeles. This is Detroit.

Ah, Speaking of Detroit jazz [Donald Bird - The Black Birds]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKI_jx1OO2I

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post

I bookmarked their website and listen to it but still prefer Jazz24. I also really like Maxology with Maxine Michaels Friday nights on WRCJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Ah, Speaking of Detroit jazz [Donald Bird - The Black Birds]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKI_jx1OO2I
    Oh yes. I currently have the classic "Places and Spaces" on the playlist and will certainly be adding more of his music as time goes on. Thanks for sharing that.

For those interested in going deeper in this direction, the 'bible' of Detroit Jazz history is "Before Motown" by Lars Bjorn with Jim Gallert [who has occasionally posted on DetroitYES over the years]. It establishes the musical 'bones' of the Detroit soul movement the rose to international acclaim with Motown and others.

Name:  BeforeMotown.png
Views: 314
Size:  291.6 KB

"Before Motown is the first book about the history of jazz in Detroit. It shows the significant impact Detroit has had on the development of jazz in America, with its own sound, distinct from that of the other jazz centers of Chicago, New Orleans, St. Louis, or Kansas City. Starting with the big bands in the 1920s,with groups like the McKinney's Cotton Pickers and Jean Goldkette's Orchestra, and continuing into the 1950s, Detroit experienced a golden age of modern jazz centered around clubs like the Blue Bird Inn. That jazz scene comes alive in interviews with musicians and club owners, combined with unique period photographs and advertisements. In addition, Detroit's vital jazz scene is placed in its social context, particularly within the changing relations between blacks and whites at the time."

^ Nice! Looks like an important, exciting book help get the history straight!

I doan' do no jazz. Six musicians all playing a different tune all at the same time. No harmony.

^ That's how I feel about trap/ rap and other forms of crass/ profane 'music' [no matter how exalted, and affirmed at the award shows]. Ain't doin'.

But I do have a couple on my playlists suitable for exercise routines. Sometimes the beats are just too compelling and get the cardio rates going! Hah.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2