I moved to Casscorridor, err, Midtown in the early '90's and I'm blown away everytime I peruse Trulia and this neighborhood. I’m wondering how long the current group of people that are paying big money to live here will last.

Maybe it's just that I've been here so long and am simply use to it, but I don't see this neighborhood offering up $300k, $400k, or $500k worth of amenities. I moved here from Southwest Detroit and sure, for $235 a month it was fine. The neighborhood offers us all the same no matter what we pay for our living expenses. But what these people are paying to live here blows my mind!

I was at Cass Café having dinner the other night talking to some other long time locals. We all guessed that in about 5 years there will start being an exodus of these newbies and a reduction in property values. Of course this is a guess but we all are still baffled by what some people are paying to live in our neighborhood. The sirens are all night every night, there is still petty crime, lots of street people, uber-high taxes, high auto insurance, city income tax, etc. Crap we've been living with forever, stuff you expect from a low rent neighborhood. I still love living here and will probably be here till I die, but I live here VERY inexpensive compared to what people are paying to move here. At some point, I have to imagine these people tiring of Midtown and the costs associated with it. Maybe one economic downturn or when their property tax discount ends they’ll move on.

I guess my questions are, What is so great about my neighborhood that people are paying $300k for a 900 SQ. foot 1 bedroom with street parking, and the bigger question, can this neighborhood survive long-term at these prices?