Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That doesn't seem to hurt Chicago, Boston, Toronto or even Minneapolis and Pittsburgh.
    Those areas aren't tech centers analogous to Silicon Valley, though. I don't doubt weather hurts.

Really only Boston is a serious tech center, and that's largely due to the universities and legacy of microcomputer innovation. The other cities aren't known for tech, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Those areas aren't tech centers analogous to Silicon Valley, though. I don't doubt weather hurts.

Really only Boston is a serious tech center, and that's largely due to the universities and legacy of microcomputer innovation. The other cities aren't known for tech, at all.
    The point was those cities all have a more established and thriving tech ecosystem than Detroit and, compared to Detroit, they have less of a problem attracting tech talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Yeah, Boston is the closest thing to a Silicon Valley in the east. I could see a case for Pittsburgh being a very, very, very distant second. But Pittsburgh is so distant that it is anyone's game.

Pittsburgh benefits from having the major universities actually in the city. Silicon Valley ended up where it is because Stanford is there. It has only been in the past decade or so that tech has meaningfully spilled out of the Valley and gone into San Francisco.